Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

October 2013 trip

• happychick0-

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2012

Itinerary for October 2013 - help please
    Hi all, long time reader but first time poster! my boyfriend and are are flying into Bangkok next Octiober & flying out of Kuala Lumpur & we're looking for helo finding the best places to visit.

We have 3 weeks & so far have been thinking of this route

bangkok - phuket/Koh yaoi Yao/Koh Yao Noi - Koh Lanta - Koh Lipe - Langkwai/Kuala Lumpur - Redang - Borneo(?)

we definitely like the island holiday, a nice beach a nice hotel/resort but usually shy away from over crowded places & we're not afraid to 'rough it' (as in we dont need 4/5 star hotels but one or 2 might be nice if budget allows!!!!)

Our main concern is that transport might be difficult seeing as though its the off season & we want to enjoy our trip rather than rush from place to place

any advice or recommendations or comments are appreciated

Thanks in advance :)

#1 Posted: 19/12/2012 - 06:11

• Advertisement

• JessTravels

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

travel is easy, there are buses and planes and even a train to Kuala Lumpur. air asia is the budget airline, the last time i flew from KL to Bangkok it was 80 US and i bought the ticket at the airport 2 hours before the plane left. **NOTE air asia has their own airport in KL so be sure you are clear with your driver which carrier you are flying with. hostelworld.com and hostel.com are great resources for budget hotels and guest houses. There are ratings for location so if you want to find a smaller place out of the mix of things for cheap read the reviews. Pick up a lonely planet on a shoe string for budget minded travel but also keep in mind that everyone has one so places to stay listed in them usually are crowded and booked.

We had a lot of fun on a day trip from Bangkok to one of the tiger temples with bamboo rafting, an elephant ride and a visit to the bridge over river kuai, definitely touristy but it was only for a day and it was nice to get out of the city. The royal palace should be on your must do list, also enjoy the massive crowds of tourists and shopping on Ko San road in Bangkok, its a little crazy but fun. Also visit Chinatown.

take a Thai cooking class on one of the islands or a diving course both are cheap and fun.

Last bit of advise... be adventurous! Dont watch your clock and over plan. We asked other travelers and locals where we should go next, we had our "must see" places and then let fate guide our five week trip. It's refreshing to wake up in the morning not sure what city or country i was headed to next :)

#2 Posted: 27/12/2012 - 17:48

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Happychick,

If you're trip is kicking off early October, you can expect some rain along some of those legs - in particular, probably not everything will be open on Lipe and Lanta in early October.

Other thoughts, I'd choose between Ko Yao Noi and Ko Yao Yai rather than visiting both.

You'll need to transit overland from Ko Yao Noi to Lanta and again to Lipe (they are not all connected by boat).

Langkawi in nice, I was there earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised by it, but after all that beach you already have, I'd suggest considering Penang -- the beaches are so so but the food and Georgetown itself, are lovely.

Not been to Redang, so can't help with that.

Some further reading:
    Basic huts on Lipe
    Which beach on Lipe
    Langkawi to Lipe (You'll need to read it backwards ;-)
    How long to spend in Sarawak,Borneo
    Pics of Langkawi

More questions? Ask away!

#3 Posted: 27/12/2012 - 19:33

• ragbird

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2013

Redang is pretty quiet and small. All about the basics. Worth seeing if you want some time to just relax and chill.

#4 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 23:35

• jamesonridl-
    ey

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2013

Peninsula Malaysia west coast islands Langkawi , Pangkor have dirty water with heaps of jellyfish. I would not go there for swimming/snorkelling. But you can take a speedboat from Langkawi to Koh Lipe in Thailand for nice snorkelling.

#5 Posted: 14/6/2013 - 06:07

• globetrotte-
    rgal

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2013

hi there! wow, 3 weeks is very long indeed. have fun!

if you're adventurous, a nature lover and not so much of a fan of the city, you should try visiting a kampung (village) - where you can enjoy the nature like rainforest, river, waterfall and stuff. i went and i love it. tasted local fruits and all.

here are some readings :)

Homestay
    Kampung Half Day Tour

#6 Posted: 21/8/2013 - 13:11

• jenchew

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

Redang maybe not suitable in October due to Monsoon

#7 Posted: 1/9/2013 - 10:46

• JessTravels

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Just got back from three weeks in Thailand. Lanta roundhouse on Koh Lanta was great, beach huts were $10 a night and it was very quiet with a fantastic owner named Nadia (lantaroundhouse.com). Koh Phi Phi was breathtaking, much better than Phuket with great snorkeling and diving and a quick ferry ride from Koh Lanta (one daily in the low season leaves at 8am).

#8 Posted: 1/9/2013 - 11:09

• MichaelLau

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2013

Youshould consider making a travel station in Phuket,Thailand and in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
    Finishyour trips in Phuket, Thailandand move on to Penang , Malaysia (nearest point). Penang is a popular island destination with some nice beachessuch as Batu Feringghi, Teluk Kampi, Jerejak island, Tg Bungah and TelukBahang.
    FromPenag, take a fast ferry connection to Langkawi islang. Again plenty of beachesand islands hopping like Singa, Payar Marine park, cable car, marina and blackbeach.
    Movingon from Langkawi to other places including Pangkor bu bus. From Langkawi, takea ferry to Kuala Perlis and connects to Lumut where Pangkor is reachable byboat or ferry.
    Otherislands include Redang and Tioman in the South China Sea.They can be reach by air (from Subang airport) or by land and then using ferry.
    Atthe Borneo island, the places of interestinclude marine park at Kota Kinabalu and Sipadan island. Travel there needplanning earlier and flight bookings as travel by air will take more than 2.5hours.
    Youmay want to consider hiring a travel programme writer. I can consider yourrequest on a nominal fee. Thank you and all the best.
    MLau1128
    6 Sept. 2013 (Fri)

#9 Posted: 6/9/2013 - 01:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary for October 2013 - help please ... By happychick021 on 19 Dec 2012 2 2079 25 Dec 2012
myanmar travel blog October 2013 ... By mjschrum on 10 Oct 2013 0 566 10 Oct 2013