Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Two week tour malaysia

• Cluskey221

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi guys just looking for some info we have around two weeks in malaysia coming in from thailand and flying out from singapore,

we want to visit georgetown (prob first port of call as its near thailand) but from then we are struggling seems there is a good route down coast through kuala but would we have enough time and also is it worth visiting the highlands!

Also if known how is the transport system

Regards mark

#1 Posted: 30/12/2012 - 06:30

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Mark,

For a two week route down the west side of peninsular Malaysia, you'll have time to visit a few of the highlights, but you will need to account for quite long travel times.

For example, you could follow an itinerary like this:
    Day 1 - from wherever you are in Thailand to Georgetown (I arrived in Georgetown by ferry from Langkawi, so I don't know how long it takes from Thailand directly).
    Day 2, 3 and 4 in Georgetown.
    Day 5 - bus to Cameron Highlands (in my experience, most buses in Malaysia are decent. I believe some buses leave from Georgetown itself but a greater number go from the mainland, so you may need to hop over on the ferry to catch the right bus - it's really easy as the bus station is adjacent to where the ferry docks). The bus will probably take most of a day.
    Day 6 and 7 in Cameron Highlands. You can catch local buses to get you around the highlands easily enough.
    Day 8 - down to KL (takes 4-5 hours on a bus from Tanah Rata, if memory serves).
    Day 9 and 10 - in KL.
    Day 11 - to Melaka (maybe 3 hours by bus from KL)
    Day 12 and 13 in Melaka
    Day 14 - bus down to Singapore.

That's a fairly rushed trip - you might want to skip one destination to buy yourself a couple of extra days in the others, but it gives you an idea of a possible itinerary.

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 30/12/2012 - 06:56

• Cluskey221

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply thats kinda the route a was thinking of taking although A would like to spend a few days in singapore may have to find a few days from somewhere

Do u think am better heading into malaysia to get to geaorgetown i.e is it easiest route??

Also with the highlands is there much to do i have been getting mixed reviews from diff sites??

Thanks

Mark

#3 Posted: 3/1/2013 - 19:48

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you (I've only just seen your follow-up query).

The Cameron Highlands are good for walking / visiting tea plantations, but most of the other attractions there are not terribly engaging (in my humble opinion).

With respect to getting into Georgetown from Thailand, I'm afraid I don't know enough about the connections - but it probably depends a lot on where you're coming from. What's your planned last port-of-call in Thailand?

#4 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 13:41

• Mexi736

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2013

I Just like to share my experience with Optiontown. Signed-up for UTo and got an upgrade to airasia x premium
    class on this valentine. That the best gift , I have ever received. Me and my girlfriend had the best valentine of our life,
    celebrated in the sky. Worth using Optiontown ! you people rocks!

#5 Posted: 22/2/2013 - 04:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.