Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Malaysia in December

• lucid1278

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2013

Hello there,

I am currently planning my 365 day tour of the world and my first stop is KL and I arrive in December.
    My questions are.

How long is enough to stay in KL?
    what is the weather like that time of year?
    Id like to do the Jungle railway and id like some advise on if i should take it to the border or fligh intoThailand so my visa is 30 days instead of 15 as i was told if you cross overland.

Also id like to travel south to Singapore Just wondering what the most efficiant way of doing this is, and what i "must" See as im trying to figure that out but getting a little swamped.

Thank you

#1 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 17:14

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

In December the east coast of peninsula Malaysia is in wet season - so to get some tropical island time I'd be thinking of Langkawi on the west coast. Note Ko Lipe and Ko Adang in Thailand are a shortish speedboat ride away - good islands to spend time for a taste of Thailand - emigration at the departure pier, immigration on the arrivals beach. You only get a 15 days visa so if you plan to spend time elsewhere in Thailand you might put thought into various options. One is to fly back to KL and then fly into Phuket or wherever strikes your fancy.

Penang is not too far from Langkawi - it's an okay only beach destination, but pretty good for history, architecture, shopping, food etc.

I'm not a big city person and found 3 days was fine to get a taste of KL.

Never done the Jungle Railway. I think it will be pretty wet along the route but hey, wet inside a railway car looking out aint too bad.

In getting to Singapore, "most efficient" depends on your interpretation. Flying would be quickest of course and with Air Asia offering intense competition I reckon prices may be quite good.
    Not sure which is cheaper out of bus and train - but having done both I can say the bus is quicker.

#2 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 00:51

• jamesonridl-
    ey

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2013

The monsoon is on the west coast Penisular and Borneo Malaysia during December / January. But having said that you'll be able to expect to see rain / thunderstorms over all of Malaysia all year, it will be hot, humid and rain can clear in an hour or two.

#3 Posted: 26/2/2013 - 05:52

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

that ''jungle'' railway is grossly overstated-beside that, the better trains run overnight there-you wont see anything. (have done it both ways just last week).
    To SIN -tell from WHERE- the big MY town just across, JB=Johor Baru, has direct bus ekspress to about any Malay town,and some trains too (incl that jungle fake). SEATS on bus or train (2nd cl) hardly differ in price, VIP bus same-same as train 1st cl, train is better for sleeper-that cost a fews MYR more. easy to book online. Newbies tend to hav eenormous angst about ''full'ness-but youll always find buses and placestostay on he spot- at least half of them is not online.

#4 Posted: 1/3/2013 - 02:22

• steevennsmi-
    thh

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2013

in December month Malaysia saw is very beautiful. It is best month trip to Malaysia.

#5 Posted: 3/4/2013 - 11:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.