Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

what area in Kuala Lumpa is central to see sights

• breatheagain

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2011

We are looking for a hotel in KL but are not sure of which area to stay in, there seems to be so many. Can anyone advise us of a good area which is easy to walk to see sights please.

#1 Posted: 24/2/2013 - 03:50

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

For budget accomodation many will recommend Chinatown . However, I prefer Bukit Bintang for food and transportation, and being more KL and less just another Chinatown (because when I go to Malaysia from Shanghai I'm not going to stay in the Chinese section of town).

There is a monorail stop just around the corner from Sahabat Guesthouse (Jalan Sahabat), Jalan Alor is a nice food street with plenty of Cantonese options and otherwise Indian and Malay in the area and Ckt. Bukit Bintang is pretty much the 'night/bar' street of the city.

You are walking distance to the Petronas Towers and a quick five monorail stops from the Sentral where you can catch a train out to Batu Caves. It is also relatively close and easy to get to Kampung Baru - a great place to see older KL and get a bite to eat (http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/malaysia/2011/06/09/kampung-baru-kuala-lumpurs-most-traditional-neighbourhood/). Anyway, it isn't that far from Chinatown and Merdeka Square - much of KL is well connected, but for the main sites of the city you'll find Bukit Bintang very centrally located, my girlfriend and I barely used the rail system and walked all around the locations I mentioned above in two days.

#2 Posted: 25/2/2013 - 02:25

• Hissunen

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2013

One more vote for a hotel in Bukit Bingang area -
    There is also a free shuttle bus running between Bukit Bintan Monorail station and Central Market/ Chinatown! Very easy and convenient!
    The bus stop is on the left hand side ( when coming from west) after the taxi stop and tourist info kiosk. Busses run about every 10-15 minutes nowadays, earlier only every 90 minutes.

#3 Posted: 25/2/2013 - 05:41

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

KUL is much smaller as many maps suggest and the nr of real sights is also quite small. Most of the guidebook sights are easy to reach by its good LRT-railsystem, so it does not matter that much.
    Bkt Bintang has the pest currently of giant traffic jams, as a new metro/MRT is under construction. Also I as man do not like the constant pestering of massageladies in scarce clothes etc. It is mainly a lot of shopping centres, one is Lot10.
    There are free pink GoKL Shuttle buses to Bkt Bntg from BOTH Chinaotwn/Pasar seni (new busstation beside LRT) and from KLCC=Petronas Towers.
    For bekpek-budget accomm. ChTown offers most and widest choice, Bukit is more mid-level.
    Only area to avoid is Sentral around the main stesyen-unless you are over-anxious to catch a very early bus to KLIA/LCC.

#4 Posted: 26/2/2013 - 02:21

• breatheagain

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2011

thank you for your advice - we will look for a hotel in Bukit.

#5 Posted: 26/2/2013 - 04:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
A week’s itinerary from Kuala Lumpa to Singapore ... By Beanic on 11 Aug 2009 2 4560 12 Aug 2009
Best area for a 3 nights stay in Kuala Lumpur ... By virusvaleria on 7 Aug 2009 7 15994 23 Nov 2009