Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Panicking... 3 months in Malaysia to write - help!

• CatV7

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2013

I am currently working in Nepal, but leave at the end of May with 5 months off to finish writing a book (cliche, I know, sorry!). Anyway, I have zero plans and am starting to panic - I have never travelled before (I turned 32 this week!) and could really do with some advice.

To kick off, I thought Malaysia seemed sensible, because I can get a 90 day visa on arrival and then stay put and get some stuff done... but I need to find somewhere to stay, and I am really struggling. I have a budget of about $300 per week to live off, and would love somewhere basic but clean, with wifi, and preferably a beach. Am I looking for the impossible?!

#1 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 08:12

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I found accommodation in Malaysia a bit pricier than most other parts of SE Asia - you'd probably do well to check out Indonesia if you're looking for a cheap beach location. In Malaysia, the best beaches are going to be on islands - Penang isn't really a swimming spot and Malacca can be quite crowded. That said, I'm not sure what kind of budget accommodation there is on the eastern islands, but Langkawi's budget scene is pretty drab with a crowded beach.

Many countries you can arrange a longer visa if you arrange it before hand and don't rely on visa-on-arrival.

#2 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 20:47

• ragbird

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2013

Hey. That is a tight budget for sure but I think it is doable. There are places in Malaysia that are quieter and offer the basics but enough to be comfortable, and it's cheap. Clean and on the beach includes lots of sand and authentic beach hut basics? Yes totally. I've been there and it's great for writing I think. Stay out of the cities definitely if u want budget.. i'd suggest looking at the islands like tioman and redang for example... Wego hotels malaysia is a good place to compare accommodation prices to see what's in your range. You need to have an idea of locations first in order to search tho of course. They also have holiday rentals here which might work for u because you are staying longer but the budget part might not fit. I'm not sure, you'll have to check it out.

Keep in mind that in these little areas, they are all about human touch so they may not have updated websites. The good part of this is that when u get there u can be friendly and negotiate, they are mostly flexible. Esp if u are longstay and if u offer to help out they may take some dollars off yr accommodation. Gd luck and dont panic! It will be awesome

#3 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 23:32

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

First the facts- you do NOT get a 90-day VISA- you get a stamp(and have to fingerprinted) that you can stay for 90 days. And WHY the heck can $$takers never even tell what type of $$ that is? If thats HK$ or NT$-its way sure far too low.
    The above forgets several main points-which makes live not easier, but is often forgotten by todays youth who do not know the world without www. The CHEAP accomm is not on the web. I slept just 3-4 weeks ago in Kota baru for 20 MYR/nite-single room, basic BF included, incl coffee./tea etc all day. Definitely the east-coast is cheaper as west. Do not even think about islands etc- only drives up cost, not just for sleep, but also for anything else-food etc-as it all has to be shipped in.
    The prob I see is that unending boredom sets in easily in these faraway places- any choice of eating out, food etc, shops, is very, very limited.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2013 - 03:32

• ragbird

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2013

Angsty much there mate?

In Tioman I slept in a double room for 40MYR. So between a friend and me it was 20MYR. There was also cheaper options like bunk bed which was probably less but my room was amazing right on the beachfront so I was def happy with that. The food was also very cheap. Best teriyaki fish I've had in my life with that homecooked feel.

The boredom bit, yes that part is possible. If they have a little local bar (by bar I mean a hut) or dive shop, hang out there and likely you will meet other travellers and the friendlier locals.

#5 Posted: 27/3/2013 - 22:27

• TheLeapingL-
    emur

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012

There is low cost accommodation on the web, just got to look or know where to look. We work on your budget for 2 people. And it works.

Have you thought about Langkawi? The low season then but there are still some great spots. Somewhere like Rainbow Lodge would do you a deal on long-term let. They have all the options there and a great beach down the road. It's also one of the duty-free islands in Malaysia so prices are lower.

I also love Tioman, but the change in seasons may put you off and there's no internet access at the moment (though a new dive school were setting up at the peir at ABC and they were installing island-wide Wi-Fi... at a charge. Of pick up a dongle).

If you're struggling finding information on them, google my user name and you'll find links to more information. I don't think TravelFish cover these areas.
    Elli xx

#6 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 23:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.