Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

12 days in Malaysia

• atrips

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location New Zealand

Hi,
    I'm planning on flying in from New Zealand to Malaysia towards end of August for 12 days. Here's a rough plan I had and wanted to throw it out there to see if it's feasible. I mainly like to check out Malacca and Georgetown for food (yummmmm), architecture, culture.

Day 0: Fly in
    Day 1: KL
    Day 2: KL>Malacca (Leave in the morning BUS)
    Day-3/4: Malacca
    Day-5: Travel Day (Malacca>KL{BUS} + KL>Georgetown{TRAIN+FERRY})
    Day-6/7/8/9: Georgetown
    Day-10: Georgetown>Cameron Highlands (Leave in the morning BUS)
    Day-11: Cameron Highlands
    Day-12 : Cameron Highlands>KL (Leave in the morning BUS)
    Day-13: Fly out

Also any recommendations for meeting travellers on the road.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Amit

#1 Posted: 4/6/2013 - 17:39

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

you wont meet other bekpekkers on the road-in buses,. Check in · hostels and you will.
    Forget train. unless you are a railfreak. take a direct bus MLK-Penang, can also do overntie. Saves hours and many changes. Sights from the train on that line are minimal, plus that on half the route they are currently building and doubling for hi-speed electric.
    Buses KL-MLK run 3 or so per hour. just go to BTS terminal and find next bus. For the others, long-dist. just stay 2 mins longer on arrival in busstesyen and buy the new ticket

#2 Posted: 5/6/2013 - 16:06

• atrips

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location New Zealand

Thanks for the reply Captain.

Good point on meeting other travelers and also on doing mlk>Penang by overnight bus. It'll save me a day.

Maybe I can use that extra day in Cameron Highlands? Is the side trip to Cameron Highlands worth it? Or is it better to spend an extra day in MLK and maybe an extra day in KL?

#3 Posted: 6/6/2013 - 01:03

• MKOV

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2013
    Location India

Malaysia is a nice place to visit i was there on Malaysia last year and really its very good city once in a life time we all should have to go there and found the beauty of that place.

#4 Posted: 11/6/2013 - 12:47

• mikepoppe

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2009

The Cameron Highlands were great, though touristy on a local level (lots of strawberry farms and butterfly gardens). That being said, it was a great break from the heat. I did some bus travel and it was quite comfortable and easy/cheap.

Not sure if your schedule permits, but I absolutely loved the Perhentian Islands. We stayed on the smaller of the two, and it was heaven. The best snorkeling I have ever experienced, and a really relaxed vibe. It's a bit off the path, with no continuous power, no roads to get around the island, etc, and it was just perfect.

Also, when I was there we stayed at Fathers Guesthouse. It was fun, but it looks like they have now moved into a new building, not int he old hospital with the nissen huts. Apparently the new building and location are good.

Cheers.

#5 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 15:07

• atrips

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location New Zealand

Thanks Mike and MK. I'm contemplating dropping Cameron Highlands altogether and spending extra day in KL and another day saved in Georgetown or Malacca. I'm travelling away from our winter in NZ for the heat, so I don't want to escape the heat at all :-)

Cheers

#6 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 16:16

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Amit,

If you are in Melaka and want to meet fellow backpackers, one of the best places would be:

Travellers Lodge
    214b Jln Melaka Raya 1, Taman Melaka Raya, Melaka 75000, Malaysia
    Telephone Number: +606 226 5709

It is at backpacker's standard but is quite clean (as of 5 years ago when I was there), and is popular amongst backpackers. You might need to book in advance.

Below is another place, it is more quiet though.

Apa Kaba Home & Stay Melaka
    No 28 Kg Banda Kaba, 75000 Melaka, Malaysia
    Phone +6062838196 , +60127981232

I have stayed in both before and they are great and within town area. I think tripadvisor has both listed. Melaka is in good supply of hotels and g/h, it would be easy to get one that you like.

Have a great trip.

#7 Posted: 13/6/2013 - 05:00

• atrips

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location New Zealand

Awesome thanks for the tip 'chopin'
    Amit

#8 Posted: 17/6/2013 - 20:26

• jenchew

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

I'm not sure which airline you go for it, if have direct from your country to Penang then suggest direct fly to Penang - georgetown then from north to south for your journey or else a bit wasting time. From Penang to Cameron then KL and follow by Melaka will save time. after Melaka maybe go KL for flight.

#9 Posted: 24/6/2013 - 04:55

• atrips

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location New Zealand

Hi Jenchew no direct flights to Penang. I did consider that but since I'll be coming to KL first it makes more sense to go Melaka and then Georgetown. I'm skipping Cameron Highlands this time around. Maybe another holiday I'll cover Cameron Highlands and East coast of Malaysia.

#10 Posted: 25/6/2013 - 16:35

• Advertisement

• atrips

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location New Zealand

That looks really interesting. I'll definitely give it a go when I'm in KL. Thanks for sharing this.

#11 Posted: 14/7/2013 - 04:45

• atrips

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location New Zealand

Here is my trip report on this particular holiday.

Thanks for all the comments and advise. The only thing I'd do different is not to take the overnight bus to Penang . It's inconvenient at both ends and you don't get a good nights sleep either because the A/C is blasting + you don't save much in money either as you still have to catch a cab late at night to the bus station in Melaka. Realistically it only saved me half a day.

KL - I stayed at The Explorer's Guest House (near China town) - it was nice.
    Melaka - Rooftop Guest Hose - Best hostel I've ever stayed at - ever. Plus their service is fantastic.
    Penang - Old Penang GUest House - I had a mixed experience but still a nice little place.

#12 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 05:06

• atrips

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013
    Location New Zealand

#13 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 05:06

• TassieWombat

Click here to learn more about TassieWombat
    Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012
    Location Australia

The "Wombats" have just spent two weeks in Kuala Lumpur apart from a two day trip to Penang by bus. Rather than post our doings etc here please join us on the Travelfish / Travel forum / Trip reports. and you will be able to follow us around. As you can see we just love our food. (Most Wombats do)

Here are a couple of pics to enjoy and you will find more plus some entertaining (We hope) videos on our Wandering Wombats
    web site

BTW Thanks Stuart and Sam for allowing links

P3280044_640x480-150x150.jpg P3199120_640x480-150x150.jpg P3199125_640x480-150x150.jpg P3199117_640x480-150x150.jpg

#14 Posted: 31/3/2014 - 01:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.