ATM max. withdrawal limit & fees?

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Can someone confirm this for me:

"I live in Malaysia. It's going to depend on your banks limit. You can take out up to 5,000 RM out of the ATM if your bank allows you to withdraw that much. There is usually a 3 RM fee if you use a different ATM than your bank. When I use my US ATM I have taken out 1,000 USD without a problem. There will be an exchange fee, but it depends on what your bank charges. Once again, when I withdrew from my US account here it was 3 RM to withdraw and 3-5 RM exchange. Nothing too pricey."

I was reading that the max. withdrawal amount was RM1500 and there were no fees? Just wondering.

#1 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 18:33

• Advertisement

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

amount was RM1500 max per withdrawal, but we can take maximum twice per day at that amount. for inter-bank withdrawal, fee is rm1. dont know about foreign currencies' limits.

#2 Posted: 14/6/2013 - 04:58

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I posted this elsewhere and got a variety of conflicting answers - lol - so I'm still not sure which is correct?

#3 Posted: 15/6/2013 - 08:31

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

very logical answer: depends=varies. By both bank in MY and YOUR bank home.
    READ: it very clearly says the limit ''as set by YOUR bank''. This may also vary by type of account you hold-and sometimes even how much money you have left in it (do never assume that anyone here only deals with US or OZ banks-its a worldwide forum).The Malay banks may also have different limits, may vary the limit as per type of customer-and also by how much money and what type is left in the ATM-most are set to never give out more as 20 notes in 1 transaction.

#4 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 07:00

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

My limit in Thailand is 27,000 baht so that's not an issue - regarding my bank. It's Canadian.

#5 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 20:03

• eatplayshop-
    my

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013

In general when used with a local bank account, withdrawals have a maximum of MYR3000 (about USD $950) a day and a maximum of MYR 1500 (USD $575) per withdrawal transaction. But it all vaies when withdrawal using a foreign account, it all comes down to how individual bank regulates oversea transaction.

Things to Do in Malaysia | Malaysia Destinations | EatPlayShop.My

#6 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 22:02

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Today it appears that MYR1500 is about $474 USD !!!!!

#7 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 11:42

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Any update on this question - using an international card?

#8 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 07:50

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Why is it so important to know exactly? I am guessing, like every other country, the reason you are getting different replies is that it depends on the bank you go to and possibly even the individual ATM.

To me the information other people have posted(and that I see on google) looks great, you can take out tons of money with little to no extra fees. That is better then most other places in the world.

As for your Thailand limit of 27,000. That is likely your home bank's limit, all cards have withdrawal limits and in your case it seems yours would be 800-900 CAD which would be 2500-2800 RM.

#9 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 12:45

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Curious. Just want the facts :)
    I know there are no fees - that was easy to establish. But the withdrawal limits often change - AEON only let withdraw a limit of 20,000 baht this time vs my last trip which was 27,000. I get charged fees in my country - so knowing the withdrawal limit is useful. As I also have cash & TC's as an option.

#10 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 08:48

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

update: MayBank charges a 1RM fee now and I was not able to withdraw more than 1000 RM in one shot.

#11 Posted: 28/1/2014 - 18:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
ATM withdrawal limit in Vietnam ... By amazon_blonde on 6 Mar 2009 10 13077 5 May 2011