Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Langkawi accomodation options

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

I am planning to go to Langkawi in November and am just about to book my flights and accomodation.
    I am looking for some kind of beach bungalow type of accomodation ranging up to 250 Ringit. Not too far out from civilasation and not really in the big mess of Pantai Cenang.

I will be heading from Krabi down to Langkawi via Satun to spend around 6 or 7 nights on Langkawi before I head down to Kuala Lumpur. I have been on Penang, Perhentians and Kapas so I know a little about the price range is Malaysia. But to be honest, I was a little surprised when I looked up the prices on the well known sites. Seems like not much inbetween really budget and top end accomodation.

But maybe I have a completely wrong imagination of accomodation on Langkawi and this type of accomodation just not exists on Langkawi. If yes, please tell me so and I might look for another island. I still remember the great bungalows we had on Kapas and Perhentians. Isn't there aynthing similar on Langkawi anymore?

Actually I wanted to go to Sulawesi or Tioman, but since I had to cancel my vacation in september I plan to go in November. And November seems to be the worst month to visit this area. Thats why I decided to visit Langkawi instead.

#1 Posted: 26/8/2013 - 06:46

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi freiburger,

By beach bungalows, do you mean the bamboo hut type? Or do you just mean any kind of bungalow on a quiet stretch of beach?

I don't remember seeing any of the bamboo huts on Langkawi - I think most of the island is too developed for that (at least the bits I'm familiar with). I personally like Pantai Tengah, as it's quieter and less over-developed than Pantai Cenang, although it's hardly deserted. There are several reasonably-priced bungalow places that back onto the beach (from about 110RM at the budget end, to 200 or 250RM at the mid-range end).

Many of the other beach areas (Pantai Kok for example) seemed to be mostly high-priced resorts (500RM+) when I was there two and a half years ago - hopefully someone else can give you more up to date info.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

#2 Posted: 26/8/2013 - 10:41

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

TF did a Langkawi write up earlier this year and checked out some of the accommodation.

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/malaysia/peninsular_malaysia/perlis/langkawi/all

#3 Posted: 26/8/2013 - 10:48

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

To be a litle more precise, it does not need to be a bamboo hut. I am realistic enough to understand that this is not existent anymore on an island like Langkawi. So I was thinking about a concrete bungalow or whatever, but I would like to get some at the beach. Not necesarrily beach view, but at the beach, so garden view would be OK also.

I already checked alot of websites, of course here, tripadvisor, some german sites and booking and agoda, but did not find something really cool yet. So anyone has seen a good one on Langkawi?

#4 Posted: 26/8/2013 - 14:35

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

We were in Langkawi for a few nights and stayed on the busy stretch of Pantai Cenang, which was nice to be close to the duty free shop and some great restaurants - but the beach is terrible, overcrowded and just not relaxing, agree that staying in Pantai Tengah is probably a better option. At the very edge between Cenang and Tengah is the duty free shop and just a bit south of that stretch was Sunset Beach Resort which we really wished we'd booked. Set back from the noise it has a really nice garden and a cool spot to lay under trees or soak up on a MUCH quieter part of the beach. Also, a nice little bar just next door. We ended up camping out in this area rather than on the main beach for our stay around Pentai Cenang.

http://www.sungroup-langkawi.com/sunset/

#5 Posted: 26/8/2013 - 20:54

• neilmason

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2012

You might like to check out sandybeachresortlangkawi.com

#6 Posted: 27/8/2013 - 00:06

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Thanks alot, this is what I am looking for.

#7 Posted: 27/8/2013 - 13:19

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Thanks for the reply, but after checking all comments on tripadvisor and similar sites I decided to not to go to Langkawi. Instead I fly in 2 weeks to Bali. I found much better and cheaper accomodation there :-)

#8 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 07:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ahhh too bad I'll be in Burma then!

#9 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 07:56

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

@antoniamitc-hell - 110 is pretty pricy for Budget accomodation?

#10 Posted: 2/11/2013 - 02:35

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Langkawi budget accomodation? ... By Sampan on 2 Dec 2009 3 4279 20 Feb 2012
Langkawi, Malaysia - accomodation question ... By caseyprich on 11 Oct 2011 6 2485 8 Dec 2011