Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

10 night trip to Malaysia in late October/early November

Posted by kpibear28 on 28/8/2013 at 19:40

Hello,

We are visiting Malaysia for 11 nights in the end of October/early November. We are flying into and out of Singapore. We are looking for a mixture of culture and wildlife with perhaps limited time on the beach if any.

-Is it worth trying to go to Taman Negara during this time? I know the Monsoon season would just be starting but we are hoping to beat it. Alternatively is it worth the effort to take a 2 hour flight to Sandakan for a river safari? We would also like to see Penang and Melaka. KL is not mandatory.

A sample itinerary I have is:
Day 1: Train from Singapore to Taman Negara (taking the jungle train)
Day 1-3: Taman Negara
Day 4-5: Cameron Highlands (adding this as there seems to be no good way to get from TN to Penang)
Day 6-8: Penang (maybe adding a 1 night stay in Langkawi)
Day 9-10: Melaka
Day 11: Bus back to Singapore for late night departure

#1 kpibear28 has been a member since 28/8/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by antoniamitchell on 1/9/2013 at 05:24

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't advise on on TN in October vs Sandakan - haven't been to either and don't know that the weather would be like, but I would suggest in general that, since your time was limited, you concentrate on just peninsular Malaysia or just Borneo, rather than trying to fit in both.

Personally I'd not bother going to Langkawi just for 1 night (once you've lost four hours travelling there, and 4 hours back, all you'll really see in the half a day you have left is the beach). Give yourself that extra time to enjoy Penang .

How are you getting from Penang to Melaka? Hopefully you can fly which will give you more of day 9 to explore Melaka.

Have a wonderful trip, whatever you decide.
Antonia

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 476
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by simonjacq on 22/11/2013 at 02:22

Agree with Antonia, rather than just to stay one night in Langkawi, i will suggest you to stay longer in penang. Also take note that a coach transfer from Penang to Melaka would takes easily 6-7 hours, you may want to depart earlier.

Simon Lee

#3 simonjacq has been a member since 7/10/2013. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.