Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

where to ? in malaysia ?

• lucky1mickey

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

i have 8 weeks to travel around malaysia, am travelling overland with first stop at langkawi, where next ? help required on destinations. love snorkelling and adventure stuff.

#1 Posted: 3/10/2013 - 16:27

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You don't say when the trip is, but with 8 weeks you've got plenty of time to cover the peninsula. From Langkawi you could do something like :
    Langkawi - Penang - Cameron Highlands - Kuala Lumpur - Taman Negara National Park (then back to KL) -> Melaka - Johor Bharu - Tioman Island - Cherating -> Kuala Terengganu - Perhentians - Kota Bharu.

That's pretty much the peninsula covered, then grab a low cost flight across to either Kuching or Kota Kinabalu and cover that part.

A lot though would depend on when you're actually planning this trip as the weather will play a part.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 4/10/2013 - 18:11

• lucky1mickey

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

Thanks you for taking time to reply, Your plan is very much appreciated, I should be in Malaysia around Christmas, I have been reading my lonely planet and perhentians and east coast are a no go because of the weather during jan/feb. what about Singapore and brunei, should I visit whilst its/I am there ?

cheers somtam

#3 Posted: 5/10/2013 - 02:59

• jbrinkey

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Netherlands
    Places visited:
    At least 15

I have lived in Kuala Lumpur for 6 months for my internship. Even in KL there are so many places to visit. Somtam gave some really good recommendations for an itinerary. About the east coast, I am not sure about the raining season. I didn't experience any difference in February regarding to rain. The east coast is really beautiful, especially ideal for snorkling. Besides the places somtam mentioned you could pay a visit to Borneo/Sabah. You'll also be in Malaysia during Chinese New Year. It's a big happening and it's maybe worth visiting Penang where a lot of Chinese Malaysians live. Make sure you don't travel arround CNY as it is very busy on the roads. If you would like to know more about KL, don't hesitate to ask me about it.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 7/10/2013 - 07:29

• lucky1mickey

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

hi, what is CNY ? KL is on my list of places to visit, although i am not a city person it sounds a great place, i plan to have a good look around and visit the famous tower building. thanks. helen

#5 Posted: 7/10/2013 - 15:54

• MellisaTurn-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2013

Malaysia is really a nice country to travel and i recommend you the following places:
    1) Kuala Lumpur
    a. Twin Towers.
    b. National Zoo & the Museum of Indigenous People.
    c. Bukit Bintang for shopping and arabic food. Starhill Gallery for fine dining.
    d. Sunway Lagoon theme park for your kids, Sunway Pyramid mall for shopping - there's an Arabic restaurant here called Tarbush which gives a beautiful view of the place in the evening
    e. Central market for cheap souvenir shopping

2) Melaka
    a. Historical places.

3) Cameron Highlands
    a. Agricultural highland, tea plantation

4) Langkawi
    a. Stay in a nice beach resort
    b. Cable car ride up to the mountains

5) Penang
    a. Stay in a nice beach resort at Batu Ferringhi
    b. Visit the Burmese temple, the Indian temple, the Kek Lok Si temple
    c. Cable car ride up to the mountains

#6 Posted: 8/10/2013 - 04:42

• lucky1mickey

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

Hi Mellisa, many thanks for your recommendations, All sound interesting, hope I don't have to have kids to get in the theme park :-) looking forward to my travels.

#7 Posted: 8/10/2013 - 10:22

• jackwilliam-

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2013

well no doubt malysia is beautiful place these places you should visit:
    Kuala Lumpur
    Melaka
    Cameron Highlands
    Penang

#8 Posted: 13/12/2013 - 05:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.