Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

where to ? in malaysia ?

Posted by lucky1mickey on 3/10/2013 at 16:27

i have 8 weeks to travel around malaysia, am travelling overland with first stop at langkawi, where next ? help required on destinations. love snorkelling and adventure stuff.

#1 lucky1mickey has been a member since 16/7/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/10/2013 at 18:11 admin

You don't say when the trip is, but with 8 weeks you've got plenty of time to cover the peninsula. From Langkawi you could do something like :
Langkawi - Penang - Cameron Highlands - Kuala Lumpur - Taman Negara National Park (then back to KL) -> Melaka - Johor Bharu - Tioman Island - Cherating -> Kuala Terengganu - Perhentians - Kota Bharu.

That's pretty much the peninsula covered, then grab a low cost flight across to either Kuching or Kota Kinabalu and cover that part.

A lot though would depend on when you're actually planning this trip as the weather will play a part.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by lucky1mickey on 5/10/2013 at 02:59

Thanks you for taking time to reply, Your plan is very much appreciated, I should be in Malaysia around Christmas, I have been reading my lonely planet and perhentians and east coast are a no go because of the weather during jan/feb. what about Singapore and brunei, should I visit whilst its/I am there ?

cheers somtam

#3 lucky1mickey has been a member since 16/7/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by jbrinkey on 7/10/2013 at 07:29

I have lived in Kuala Lumpur for 6 months for my internship. Even in KL there are so many places to visit. Somtam gave some really good recommendations for an itinerary. About the east coast, I am not sure about the raining season. I didn't experience any difference in February regarding to rain. The east coast is really beautiful, especially ideal for snorkling. Besides the places somtam mentioned you could pay a visit to Borneo/Sabah. You'll also be in Malaysia during Chinese New Year. It's a big happening and it's maybe worth visiting Penang where a lot of Chinese Malaysians live. Make sure you don't travel arround CNY as it is very busy on the roads. If you would like to know more about KL, don't hesitate to ask me about it.

Cheers

#4 jbrinkey has been a member since 7/10/2013. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 15
 Where has jbrinkey been?   Instagram 

Posted by lucky1mickey on 7/10/2013 at 15:54

hi, what is CNY ? KL is on my list of places to visit, although i am not a city person it sounds a great place, i plan to have a good look around and visit the famous tower building. thanks. helen

#5 lucky1mickey has been a member since 16/7/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by MellisaTurner on 8/10/2013 at 04:42

Malaysia is really a nice country to travel and i recommend you the following places:
1) Kuala Lumpur
a. Twin Towers.
b. National Zoo & the Museum of Indigenous People.
c. Bukit Bintang for shopping and arabic food. Starhill Gallery for fine dining.
d. Sunway Lagoon theme park for your kids, Sunway Pyramid mall for shopping - there's an Arabic restaurant here called Tarbush which gives a beautiful view of the place in the evening
e. Central market for cheap souvenir shopping

2) Melaka
a. Historical places.

3) Cameron Highlands
a. Agricultural highland, tea plantation

4) Langkawi
a. Stay in a nice beach resort
b. Cable car ride up to the mountains

5) Penang
a. Stay in a nice beach resort at Batu Ferringhi
b. Visit the Burmese temple, the Indian temple, the Kek Lok Si temple
c. Cable car ride up to the mountains

#6 MellisaTurner has been a member since 16/3/2013. Posts: 14

Posted by lucky1mickey on 8/10/2013 at 10:22

Hi Mellisa, many thanks for your recommendations, All sound interesting, hope I don't have to have kids to get in the theme park :-) looking forward to my travels.

#7 lucky1mickey has been a member since 16/7/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by jackwilliam86 on 13/12/2013 at 05:21

well no doubt malysia is beautiful place these places you should visit:
Kuala Lumpur
Melaka
Cameron Highlands
Penang

#8 jackwilliam86 has been a member since 5/12/2013. Posts: 14

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.