Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Renting a car in Langkawi

Posted by LilyBerns on 8/12/2013 at 07:37

We are planning a trip to Malaysia in spring and spend a few weeks there. I am thinking about staying around 7 days in Langkawi and visit its wonderful beaches and sights
We are also considering renting a car at the airport and driving it during this week. Please advise some suggestions or information about? Companies, driving features, insurance, fuel prices etc. Thanks a lot!

#1 LilyBerns has been a member since 6/12/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by neilmason on 8/12/2013 at 14:36

Langkawi is a lovely place. My wife and I stayed at Pantai Cenang in September last year and liked it so much we returned in September this year.

You can rent cars at the airport, there are lots of desks in the arrival area, and this year the touts were under control (unlike last year). The starting rate for a small car (really small but it's all most people would need) is RM80 per day but you could probably bargain down to RM60. I'm not sure how much insurance would be included.

To be honest I wouldn't do this myself if I was staying 7 days, I'd get a taxi to my beach accommodation, laze around the beach for a couple of days, maybe take a mangrove tour which would include transport to the other side of the island, and then if I wanted to explore further then I'd rent a car for a couple of days from one of the joints in Pantai Cenang. Fuel is dirt cheap, so cheap I can't remember the exact price. The roads are perfectly fine and scenic.

You could also hire scooters if that appealed to you, and lots of people do, but if you don't have a motorcycle licence at home you wouldn't be covered on most travel insurance policies if you had an accident.

#2 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 38

Posted by LilyBerns on 11/12/2013 at 07:27

neilmason many thanks for your excellent advice!

#3 LilyBerns has been a member since 6/12/2013. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.