Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Renting a car in Langkawi

• LilyBerns

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2013

We are planning a trip to Malaysia in spring and spend a few weeks there. I am thinking about staying around 7 days in Langkawi and visit its wonderful beaches and sights
    We are also considering renting a car at the airport and driving it during this week. Please advise some suggestions or information about? Companies, driving features, insurance, fuel prices etc. Thanks a lot!

#1 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 07:37

• Advertisement

• neilmason

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2012

Langkawi is a lovely place. My wife and I stayed at Pantai Cenang in September last year and liked it so much we returned in September this year.

You can rent cars at the airport, there are lots of desks in the arrival area, and this year the touts were under control (unlike last year). The starting rate for a small car (really small but it's all most people would need) is RM80 per day but you could probably bargain down to RM60. I'm not sure how much insurance would be included.

To be honest I wouldn't do this myself if I was staying 7 days, I'd get a taxi to my beach accommodation, laze around the beach for a couple of days, maybe take a mangrove tour which would include transport to the other side of the island, and then if I wanted to explore further then I'd rent a car for a couple of days from one of the joints in Pantai Cenang. Fuel is dirt cheap, so cheap I can't remember the exact price. The roads are perfectly fine and scenic.

You could also hire scooters if that appealed to you, and lots of people do, but if you don't have a motorcycle licence at home you wouldn't be covered on most travel insurance policies if you had an accident.

#2 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 14:36

• LilyBerns

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2013

neilmason many thanks for your excellent advice!

#3 Posted: 11/12/2013 - 07:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.