Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

6 Days in Malaysia

• Craigor

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 8

I am planning on spending around 6 days in Malaysia in between time in Thailand and Indonesia. I will be travelling there in late February and I am wondering where should I go? Somewhere with great food is a must, beaches would also be nice too.

Any help would be great.

C.

#1 Posted: 12/12/2013 - 11:21

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

For the food part I would suggest Penang . Great food - no doubt.
    For beaches...in February the Perhentians will most likey be a bit wet. Try Langkawi. It can be reached by Ferry from southern Thailand...and another boat to Penang - and off to Indonesia from there.
    Alternatively, you could consider KL for the eating...and leave to Indo from there.

#2 Posted: 12/12/2013 - 14:17

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

As you've only got 6 days in Malaysia, you don't want to be rushing from one end of the Peninsula to the other, so I'd second Tyler's suggestion - from Thailand head over to Langkawi for a couple of beach days, and from there take a ferry to Penang for a few foodie days.

(you could also base yourself in Penang the entire time, but their beaches aren't amazing).

Have fun!

#3 Posted: 12/12/2013 - 17:12

• jackwilliam-

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2013

well i am also planing to stay in malaysia for round about 6 to 7 days, Thanks to tyler for suggestion the main part food, hope there gonna b lots of fun...

#4 Posted: 13/12/2013 - 05:17

• Craigor

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 8

Thanks for the advice everyone. Definitely going to check out Penang as we will have plenty of other beach days in Thailand and Indonesia. Hope to spend at least a day in KL too.

Thanks again

#5 Posted: 13/12/2013 - 08:29

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Thing about Penang is that there are regular ferries from Medan on Indonesia's Sumatra - so if you are planning to visit the Sumatra (and it's pretty okay) Penang is an obvious.
    More good news - there is a daily ferry from Penang to Lankawi which is certainly a good one to get some beach time.
    Gets better - there are speedboats and ferries from Lankawi across to Ko Lipe in far south-west Thailand. Immigration done at each end. Lipe is a great travellers' island and Tigerline ferries plus a number of speedboat outfits can allow you to island hop all the way up to Phuket.

#6 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 04:03

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

4 days in Penang; 2 in KL. Lots of cheap flights between the two.

#7 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 04:53

• parveen7

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2013

Even i am also planning to visit Malaysia next year. thanks for sharing the information...

#8 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 01:07

• neilmason

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2012

tezza: I think the ferries to Medan from Penang have stopped now, as they can't compete with AirAsia.

#9 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 00:32

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Good ol' Air Asia.
    Useful update Neil - thanks.

#10 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 16:52

• Advertisement

• awangothman

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2013

Hi Craigor, I suggest you come to Santubong, Kuching Sarawak with plenty of good food, culture and nature. If you need details please email: awangothmanhamsawi@gmail.com

#11 Posted: 25/12/2013 - 08:23

• jrfromafar

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2014
    Location United States

Hey this post fits me - leaving from LAX in the 15th of February 2014 (39 days from today) - flying into Bangkok - then headed south to Singapore, flying home from there on March 9th - looking to experience good food, serene villages and beaches & trek in forests in Thailand & Malaysia. Am traveling solo w/backpack, so not sure about renting a car. Will be looking for budget digs. My nature is to wing it (never been to SE Asia before but have traveled numerous times to European countries). Any help is greatly appreciated.

#12 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 17:44

• adamyoshimi-
    te

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2014

I suggest you go to Penang and Ipoh. It will take around 3 hours to travel to Ipoh by bus from KL. Then you can continue traveling to Penang from Ipoh by bus and spend around 2 hours max.

Ipoh has a lot of delicious food. The dim sum and the famous steamed chicken rice is a must to try. As for Penang, they have the best laksa. You can also go to the Batu Ferringi beach in Penang since you love beach :)

#13 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 22:07

• jenchew

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

Penang and Melaka are more attracting others more or less is shopping. If you want to travel around, suggest can get a rented car with driver then easier to tour around in 6 days melaka, KL and Penang, if beach can try Langkawi then proceed to Thailand... Yes there are cheap flight too but will miss out lot of local activity. Travel by car will get to see a lot.

#14 Posted: 1/2/2014 - 00:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.