Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Advice for memorable Southeast Asian holiday

• msinger

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2014

Hi

I am planning a holiday, for just over two weeks, in August with a couple of friends. We are all 22 year old British female students.

Ideally, we would like a holiday that combines culture, wildlife and a good nightlife. However, one of the travellers has asthma, so we cannot go to a country with a high altitude as she may struggle to breathe comfortably.

At the moment, we are looking into either Thailand or Borneo.

For Thailand, I am hesitant about the weather in August (we are travelling between the 6th and 26th August). For Borneo, I am unsure whether it is safe for three single women to tour alone? In addition, is it easy for travellers to tour the country for a reasonable price? I know that Thailand has accustomed itself to a lot of tourists, but I do not know if Borneo experiences the same popularity levels.

Are there any other countries in Southeast Asia that fit our criteria that anyone can recommend?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Madeleine

#1 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 12:45

• Advertisement

• VelvetCultu-
    re

Click here to learn more about VelvetCulture
    Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2013
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 32

You will find different wildlife and culture in each country. So let's narrow this down by nightlife.

Kuta, Bali, Indonesia
    Phuket, Thailand
    Pattaya, Thailand (Not recommended)
    Singapore City (Too expensive)

I recommend Bali, Indonesia over all. Kota Kuta stays active til the morning hours and you can find cheap accommodations. In addition to the nightlife, you can travel up to Ubud and experience culture. You also have Monkey Forest (Hutaan Monyet) in Ubud, where you can interact with monkeys.

PM me if you have any questions.

#2 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 18:49

• jenchew

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

Malaysia maybe a nice place too

#3 Posted: 1/2/2014 - 00:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ten Southeast Asian trips for 2008 ... By somtam2000 on 3 Jan 2008 0 3742 3 Jan 2008
Southeast Asian low-cost airlines: The good, the bad and the ugly ... By somtam2000 on 28 Feb 2013 5 2630 1 Mar 2013