Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

SIngapore and Borneo itinerary advice- would love your thoughts!

• meeshakar

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011
    Location United States

Hi Travelers,
    I fly into Singapore on Feb 21st until March 5th. I have never been out here, just to Thailand and Cambodia a few years ago so this entire itinerary is just from some research online. I would love if I could get some feedback about this and see if it looks good, is do-able, some good places to stay or eat at these spots, or just overall advice!

Fly into Singapore and spend a few days around here. (3 days)
    Fly to Kota Kinabalu and check out Mt. Kota (2 days)
    Fly to Sandakan for a few days and check out the Kinabatang River and some Orangutan sanctuaries. (4 days)
    Then head over to Mabul island and so some scuba diving around there and hopefully at Sipadan as well. (4 days)
    Then back to Singapore and fly out on the 5th.

Any advice? Am I stretching out too much, or does this seem like a do-able itinerary. If so, any hotel suggestions for those spots?

Thank you!!

#1 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 13:57

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

13 days...depending on when you arrive on the 21st and leave on the 5th you might be looking at 11 days.
    You might want to consider either taking your time from Singapore and spending it in Sabah or skip KK and the mountain and keep it to Sandakan, the Kinibatangan and Mabul. I feel that you might still be pressed for time.
    Keep in mind that you might lose the better part of a day each time you want to get to a new destination.
    Figure out who you will be diving with while on Mabul - ahead of time and enquire about Sipidan. When I was there (2 years ago) the passes for Sipidan were limited. I stayed with Scuba Junkie. Try not to be too stressed if you do not get to Sipidan - many other sites are great.
    Have fun!

#2 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 01:59

• meeshakar

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011
    Location United States

Thanks! Does this sound better? Singapore 3 days, head to Kota (then transfer to Tawau, unless there is some flight I can't see that I can go directly from Singapore to Tawau) so we can stay 4 nights in Mabul. After Mabul, take a bus or flight to Sandakan and spend the rest of the time there which would be about 4 nights. Then I have to head back to Singapore on the 4th to catch my flight home on the 5th. So that gives us 11 full days with a couple days mainly of travel. But probably a better idea then spending time in KK when really its just a layover before Mabul.
    Thank you!

#3 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 13:43

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Less rushing around will give you more time to enjoy the places that you really want to see. With less than two weeks the less time you spend in transit - the better off you'll be.
    I think you have enough time to see what you want and time to change things on the go as well.
    Enjoy!

#4 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 20:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
5 Weeks in SE Asia with a 4 yr old - advice/thoughts on itinerary please! ... By ZPeppiatt on 12 Apr 2010 9 3699 24 Apr 2010
Itinerary advice needed for Cambodia, laos and Thailand - any thoughts much appreciated! ... By hjbvet on 27 Oct 2010 4 3234 31 Oct 2010
Itinerary advice - Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Singapore ... By ToniandCraig on 2 Mar 2013 5 1917 6 Mar 2013
Itinerary Advice - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By jella82 on 3 Jul 2007 3 9699 10 Mar 2011
Highlights of Singapore and peninsular/Borneo Malaysia in 7 days ... By gogohanneson on 17 Feb 2010 4 3937 21 Feb 2010
New to Vietnam! Would Love Some Advice! ... By KatieK on 29 May 2012 9 3170 13 Sep 2012