Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Malaysia in February - Diving, Eating, Hiking/Climbing

• isabaerchen

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2014

Hey TravelFishers,

my name is Isabel, I'm 23 years old and from Germany. I'm currently living inBeijing since beginning of September for a student exchange year. Actually I'msupposed to study a lot of sometimes hardly interesting engineering stuff but Ireally wanna discover a bit of Asia so my personal motto might vary a littlebit from the Chinese one "work hard, study hard" :D

I’ll fly to Hong Kong on 20thJanuary and stay there until the 26th. Then I’ll fly to KualaLumpur. My next flight is on 12th February from Penang to KotaKinabalu. To be honest I don't really have planned something concrete yet and that’sthe part where I would very much appreciate your help! Generally I was thinkingabout Scuba diving on Palau Perhentian, but I’m not sure if the time is alreadyappropriate to do so. Do you maybe have any recommendation where it is best togo to for getting a SCUBA license during this time of the year?

I heard Penang has great food, what issomething I can enjoy very much (huge foodie) so I’m kind of planning to eat myway through the street markets there. I’ll fly from Penang to Kota Kinabalu on12th February.

In Kota Kinabalu I’d like to do somekind of hiking trip, maybe climbing if possible and if I can still carry my ownbody weight after all the food in Penang :P

I’ll leave Malaysia from Kota Kinabaluon 19th February and fly to Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam).
    If you have any recommendations Iwould be very thankful to hear them. Maybe if some of you guys should happen tobe in Malaysia during that time we could let our paths cross over there!?

Thank you already for reading my post!

Cheers,
    Isabel

#1 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 06:43

• Advertisement

• seekermm

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2014

Hi Isabel!

I fly into KL on Feb 4 with no concrete plans except my 1st 3nights hostel in KL!
    I definitely want to climb Kinabalu and hopefully hit Gunung Mule for a couple of days.
    Nothing booked yet though.
    Let me know if you are interested in meeting up.

#2 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 12:28

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey Isabel,
    I finished my open water on Mabul Island with Scubajunkie.
    Try to contact them in advance in regards to permits for Sipidan.
    Overall it was a great experience.

#3 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 10:40

• jenchew

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

Early Feb may not suitable to go east due to the monsoon, most of the island start take in somewhere in end Feb and early Mar. May try west Malaysia such as Langkawi, Pulau Pangkor...

#4 Posted: 1/2/2014 - 00:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sabah in January weather.. diving, hiking? ... By prana16 on 17 Aug 2009 0 3286 17 Aug 2009