Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Travelling in February/march

• Spicey

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2014

Hi there, I want to travel with my partner in early feb for about 6 weeks. I want to go all around Malaysia and also to the east Malaysia. Any suggestions. We are in our mid 30's

#1 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 15:59

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Spicey,

What made you decide on Malaysia? I've been twice and had a good time, but it wouldn't be my first choice for an extended visit, which is why I'm asking what it is that attracts you? Do you plan to visit other places as well or will all 6 weeks be in Malaysia?

The real advantage of spending all your time in one country, if you are planning to do that, is you can really stretch out and see just about everything. I thought KL was definitely worth a few days, particularly at the beginning of your trip as you get settled in. The Cameron Highlands were another highlight for me and also worth a few days. I'd also imagine that spending time on several different tropical beaches would be a real plus.

Other than that, you may want to get a good sense of what the weather patterns may be during your trip, assuming there is much of a difference, so that you can plan to be in the places with the best weather. I'd also want to get my visa situation sorted before I arrived so I didn't have to worry about extending once I was in country. Finally, since the language is relatively easy to pick up, I'd spend a little bit of time trying to learn a bit of Malaysian before you get there and then build on it during the time you are there. A little bit will go a long way and help make your trip that much more special.

I hope that helps. Please be sure to check back in and leave reviews and trip reports so others can learn from your experience too. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 17:14

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Spicey,
    I'm of a differing opinion to Exacto: I spent a month in Malaysia a couple of years ago and only managed to fit in peninsular Malaysia -Langkawi, Penang, Taiping, Ipoh, Cameron Highlands, KL, Melaka, Cherating, Kuantan. I skipped the east coast islands because the weather wasn't great when I was there (January). To fit in Sabah/Sarawak as well, I would have needed an extra couple of weeks. So I think including Malaysian Borneo, you can easily fill 6 weeks. Plus, Malaysia is one of my favourite countries in SE Asia - I love the mix of cultures, and the food.
    Depending on what country you're from, you may not need to pre-arrange a Visa. Citizens from UK get 3 months on arrival. I believe citizens of Europe, USA and most of the commonwealth also get 3 months on arrival. Your local Malaysian embassy's website can confirm.

With regards to language, I do agree with Exacto: definitely try and pick up a little Bahasa if you can. Most people you encounter (at least in peninsular Malaysia) will speak English, but knowing a little Bahasa is useful (as well as good manners) and it is a quite easy language to begin to learn.
    Have fun!

#3 Posted: 26/1/2014 - 03:08

• SabahSpecia-
    list

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2014

Hi Spicey,
    I would like to comment on the East Malaysia portion, in particular Sabah.

If you are interested in getting a good overview of East Malaysia as part of your 6 week journey, I suggest to put aside atleast 12-14 days for Sabah itself. Sabah is a wonderland of natural resources and activities for the adventurous soul, whether it be climbing the famous Mount Kinabalu peak, jungle trekking in Danum Valley, cruising down the Kinabatang River in Sandakan, paragliding off the Ranau cliffs, diving in the crystal waters of Sipadan, or braving the rapids of Padas River by white water rafting, and so much more! You can visit http://www.amazing-borneo.com/ for more details as this website provides detailed information regarding the various locations and the activities you can do there.

With regards to weather, the ideal time to visit Borneo is between mid feb till September, as that is considered the dry months of the year. So you may want to schedule visiting East Malaysia nearer the end of your 6 weeks :)

#4 Posted: 27/1/2014 - 01:21

• Spicey

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2014

This is all quite good information. Has anyone done much on sarawak? I am going to fly into singapore and this is what i thought i do
    singapore to malacca - KL - Cameran Highlands - taman negara?? - Penang - Langkawi - Perhentian Island - Terengganu - Sarawak - Sabah - Brunei - Singapore

If anyone could suggest how i can get from places that would be great. I have looked at some buses as well

#5 Posted: 27/1/2014 - 01:50

• Spicey

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2014

Hi antoniamitc-
    hell
    Did you do Malaysia -Langkawi, Penang, Taiping, Ipoh, Cameron Highlands, KL, Melaka, Cherating, Kuantan in this order? What did you do in taiping and ipoh and Kuantan?

spicey

#6 Posted: 27/1/2014 - 01:54

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Spicey,

Yep, exactly that order - ferry from Satun in Thailand to Langkawi - ferry to Penang - then Taiping, Ipoh, Tanah Rata in Cameron Highlands, KL, Melaka , Cherating , and finally Kuantan (which I overnighted in because I couldn't get on a direct bus to Singapore until the following day).

All buses except for the ferries mentioned - the journeys were mostly pretty easy. If memory serves, getting from KL to Malaka was 2-3 hours, and Cameron Highlands to KL was about 4. Melaka to Cherating was the longest stretch (I can't remember if I had to change buses in KL or if I was able to go direct, but I know the journey took most of the day). Several of my journeys were quite short. I wasn't in a hurry, and I hate being cooped up in a bus for hours (I get motion sick) so I will frequently break a journey.

In Taiping I mostly explored the town and the Lake Gardens. Popped into the museum for an hour or two to escape the 3pm drenching. It's slightly off the beaten track. I also took a day trip to Kuala Kangsar (the town has a rather attractive riverside royal district with several palaces belonging to the Sultan of Perak).

In Ipoh I just explored the town for a day (I had to change buses there and there were no quick connections, so I figured I might as well make use of the delay and see the town). Didn't do much in Kuantan either (there were supposed to be boats trips on the river from Kuantan, but none of them seemed to be going when I was there). So really, I just wandered about. Chatted to kids/teenagers in shops. Ate. Relaxed and read my book, or watched the world go by. Ate some more.

Hope that helps! Have fun

#7 Posted: 27/1/2014 - 12:35

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I'm glad to learn how much you enjoyed Malaysia and to see you sticking up for one of your favorite SEA destinations. To be clear, I didn't say it wasn't a good choice - after all I have been twice! - but rather that given the perpetual Sophie's choice of so many great places to visit and so little time, Malaysia wouldn't be my first choice. But it is still an excellent choice.

Also, just to add on the language thing, even if most of the folks you'll meet speak some English, knowing a bit of Bahasa will really open doors for you and let folks appreciate you in a way that normally can't happen without that language connection. Regards.

#8 Posted: 27/1/2014 - 15:02

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

No worries, Exacto - it's all good (I'd do a smiley face, except I have no idea how to do one on this board)

#9 Posted: 28/1/2014 - 01:58

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I spend 5 weeks in Sabah, 2 in Sarawak and 2 more making my way from KL to Langkawi...
    Kuching is one of my favourite SEA cities...
    Malaysia has some of the best food in SEA and the public transport is excellent.
    Speaking a little Bahasa will certainly help - find a library and sign up for an afternoon class to learn you please, thank you, hello and good byes...well worth it.

orangutans, Sipidan, Kinibatangan, Mulu, Kuching, KL, Cameron Highlands, Penang...

another Malaysia booster here!!!

#10 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 16:04

• Advertisement

• withluck

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2014
    Location Malaysia

Hi Spicey,

Nice to know that you have planned to visit Malaysia. If you are flying to Malaysia, I shall suggest you visit Kuala Lumpur -> Malacca. If you are road then you can singapore -> Malacca -> Kuala Lumpur -> Taman Negara -> Cameron Highlands -> penang -> langkawi -> perhentian island -> kuala lumpur -> sarawak -> brunei -> Sabah -> singapore

If you are nature lover, taman negara is worth to visit. it has 4 entrance to the national park and each has its own attraction. If you want to experience no pipe water and power supply holiday, you can stop at Kuala Sangga. One needs to take 25 minutes boat ride from Port Weld to Kuala Sangga. Float Chalet is available for renting. At night, one can ride boat for firefly watching in mangrove swamp (Matang mangrove reserved forest).

In Penang , you should not miss George Town, UNESCO Heritage City Site. For fruits lover, one should not miss Tropical Fruits Farm, in Balik Pulau. Tropical Spice Garden is another nice place to explore. From your message, you did not mention whether you are nature lover or not. If you are, you may also visit Penang National Park which is the smallest national park in the world but has a lot of offer to visitors.

From Pulau Perhentian to Kuala Lumpur, you may stop in Kuantan before you proceed to Sarawak. Sarawak and Sabah are another great states for nature and adventure visitors. National parks likes Bako National Park, Mulu National Park, Tunku Abdull Rahman Marine Park and etc are worth for a visit.

If you can give me your interests, I shall provide you the best place to visit in Peninsular Malaysia. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you much in Borneo.

A Malaysian Licensed Tourist Guide

#11 Posted: 27/4/2014 - 09:27

• Terry001

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2014

Hi
    Malaysia has one of the best assortments of cuisines in the world. Yet despite all the pockets of ethnicities, religions, landscapes and the sometimes-great distances between them, the beauty of Malaysia lies in the fusion of it all, into a country that is one of the safest, most stable and manageable in Southeast Asia.

#12 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 06:25

• Grubert

Click here to learn more about Grubert
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

I'm in complete agreement with Terry. Definitely a perfect starting point for first-timers to ease into the region.

#13 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 22:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.