Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Need help with BORNEO itinerary & visa

• louzdelaluna

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2013
    Total reviews: 2

Dear Indonesia community,

I'm planning a trip through Malaysian & Indonesian Borneo and I'd need advice for my itinerary.

I am landing in Kota Kinabalu and I am proceeding to Sulawesi.

My itinitial plan was the following:
    Visit Sabah (Mt Kinabalu, Sepilok, Danum valley, Pulau Sipadan)
    Cross by sea (with a prearrenged visa) to east Kalimantan
    Visit Kailimantan (Derawan archipelago, Wehea forest, cross borneo trek?, Loksado) and go all the way to Pontaniak
    Cross overland to Kuching and visit Sarawak
    Cross back (visa on arrival) and connect to Sulawesi from Pontaniak

This may not seems very efficient but basically the trick for me is to first use my 30-day prearranged visa for Indonesia, then exit to Malaysia and neter again to obtain a new 30-day visa on arrival, to be extended later for another 30 days, thereby allowing me a total stay of 90 days, which is definitely not too much for vast indonesia.

But things seem to complicate when it gest to transport:
    How to connect to the rest of Kalimantan from Pontaniak?
    How to connect from Ponatniak to Sulawesi?

Alternatively, I could just do Sabah > Sarawak > Kalimantan from west to east and proceed to Sulawesi. This means I'll only get a visa on arrival in Enkitong, and extend it once. But then I might go to peninsular Malaysia from Java and then back to Sumatra, getting a new 30-day visa on arrival, and summing up to 90 days again. But then I still have the problem:
    How to connect from Pontaniak to the rest of Kalimantan?
    Are Sabah & Sarawak well connected by road?

Thank you very much in advance for you much needed advice! :-)

#1 Posted: 12/4/2014 - 03:17

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
help with BORNEO itinerary & visa ... By louzdelaluna on 12 Apr 2014 1 754 13 Apr 2014