Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Malaysia-Kuala Lumpur IN 5 DAYS ITINERARY HELP?!

• heybabyy

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2014

My friend and I will be arriving in KL in the afternoon on the 25th/4 and will be leaving KL on the 29th in the morning.
    we want to go to Penang but I don't know if ther is enough time for it to be worth the trip, since we would probably stay in KL friday and saturday catch a flight to Penang on Sunday morning and return to KL on monday night, unless we catch a very early flight back to KL on Tuesday.

So my question is do you think its worth Seeing Penang for that amount of time, or visit some where else? or stay in KL for the 5 days, not sure really how much there is to do in KL.
    We are interested in beaches, food nightlife.
    Also what would be the best location to stay in KL?

#1 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 00:46

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

1.have you been in KUL before, or in MY at all?
    2.if no, dont waste time+ringgit on flying to another town that you may have read something about. Remember that there is NO negative tourist info at all on official sites/publications. Thats why I sometimes like to show the other side of the picture and thus get scolded on. In fact you have only 3 full days in KUl. You loose half a day for the long ride to airport and flite and ride other side too. Though there is an overnight train with sleeper and plenty of nightbuses KUL-PNG
    3.Obviously, KUL has no beaches nor any nearby. It does have lots of strange foods from at least 3 cultures and as being the largest city in MY, the best choice of nitelife etc. PNG has in fact also not a great beach and thats also way out of town, where the sights are.
    IMHO I think the reputation of PNG as ''food capital'' is heavily surcharged and at least 98% of it can also be found in KUL.

#2 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 06:32

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

In KL I'd stay in either Bukit Bingtang or Chinatown -both pretty close to one another anyway. Five days is a little long for just KL, but a little short to head up to PNG. I agree with captainbkk, you really only have 3 full days in KL, and one of those could be well spent at Batu Cave in the morning. Also, just exploring the old neighborhood of Kampung Baru (there is an article about it somewhere on this site) and walking around downtown is nice. Food scene, very good, even the food courts in the malls are fine.

Have you considered an overnight trip to Malacca? That way you could get at least one afternoon and a morning on the beach, and by taking a bus you won't have that big trip to the airport 4 times in one five day stay.

#3 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 19:33

• Grubert

Click here to learn more about Grubert
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

I'm in complete agreement with the other posters - you're better off spending spending the entire period there (five mornings to breakfast at Imbi market is a win in my book!). And don't forget to factor in the midday heat, which could very well slow down your sightseeing! I myself whiled away one afternoon in air-conditioned bliss by riding all the different metro lines. Plus KL's neighbourhoods are generally great for wandering around.

An alternative would be to spend a night in Melaka, which is only two and a half hours away by bus.

#4 Posted: 24/4/2014 - 03:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Between Bali & Kuala Lumpur...few days! ... By smillertime78 on 15 Nov 2010 8 5652 21 Nov 2010
Where's the best place for 3 days in Kuala Lumpur ... By silversnapper on 7 Dec 2009 11 14121 22 Dec 2009
Hot flight deals: Perth, Australia to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for A$90 ... By travelfishdeals on 3 Mar 2009 0 4851 3 Mar 2009
Kuala Besut to Kuala Lumpur by bus??? ... By KatMachine on 16 Jan 2012 2 4624 17 Jan 2012
Kuala Lumpur on 12 may ... By cscsky on 3 Apr 2014 0 460 3 Apr 2014
1 day in Kuala Lumpur ... By Manumask on 12 Sep 2009 8 6935 22 Nov 2009
Kuala Lumpur - Krabi ... By mohdiqbal on 25 Oct 2011 2 2580 31 Oct 2011
Singapore or Kuala Lumpur ... By konnan101 on 29 Apr 2011 3 4960 17 Jan 2012
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur ... By nish on 24 Nov 2011 25 5418 23 Feb 2014
Kuala Lumpur's Little India ... By mashreki on 10 Mar 2012 9 2800 19 Mar 2012