Nice experience in the Cameron Highlands

• Mikelpc

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2014
    Location Spain
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Hi,

I just came back from my trip to Cameron Highlands and I enjoyed it very much. If you like to trek and if you cannot support the hot weather, this is your place. Trekking to Gunung Birinchang and then to Gunung Irau crossing the mossy forest was the best of all, even if it was kind of hard trek, it was worth. Here you can also join a tour to discover the Raflesia flower, the biggest flower of the world! Unfortunately I didn't join one tour because at the time I was there, there wasn't an open flower... these flowers open just for 3 or 4 days and then they die... And the tea plantation... I took so nice pictures from there. You shouldn't miss it!

If you are looking for a peaceful place in Cameron Highlands, I suggest you to try Westwood Highland (www.westwoodhighland.com / westwoodhighland@gmail.com). I found this place via facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Westwood-Highland/152967308220749) because one FB friend of mine was here before and I decided to try the place. It was really a good decision. The owner of this hostel, Troji, is an experienced traveler and you can feel it in all the details and the decoration of his hostel. Troji helped me a lot during my stay in his place, picking me up from the town, showing me around when he was free and explaining me the best places to visit. He is running the hostel with the help of his lovely family who invited me several times to join them for dinner

Hope you enjoy the Highlands as I did!

#1 Posted: 3/8/2014 - 21:21

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hmmm. The fact that you posted this at the same time that "Westwood" submitted their hostal for inclusion does raise some suspicions.... you wouldn't be pretending to be an independent traveller to try and get around this sites rules, would ya?

#2 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 00:22

• Mikelpc

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2014
    Location Spain
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Well Antonia, it's true! I, Mikel Perez Colmenar a guy who is already travelling for more than 4 years and more than one in Southeast Asia, requested to put Westwood Highland in Travelfish after being there. I stayed at this place and they were REALLY kind with me so I decided to help them as much as I can. I helped them to put a web page for the hostel www.westwoodhighland.com, I marked the place in OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/4.55666/101.41783), I posted some nice pictures in several web sides (Even if the owner, Troji, is a good amateur photographer and he already has posted some in his Facebook and Instangram accounts) and I'm trying to promote the place in Internet in general.
    I studied computer sciences and I worked in Spain for 10 years as Computer Engineer. Troji, the owner of the hostel, is just a farmer and hair dresser who doesn't know much about computers, just Facebook and those kind of pages. So why NOT to help people with my knowledge? They helped me a lot. I'm a low budget traveler and they understood it and made a special offer for me to stay with them. So as I did other times, I decided to pay it back somehow.

I'm usually checking Travelfish for travelling in Southeastasia to get some info in general and specially about accommodation, even if till now I didn't have an account. And I saw that I could add this hostel in their listing. That's ALL!

I hope that your comment in this forum is not going to destroy all the work I've already done in Internet promoting this place. Maybe I sound angry, and yeah, I'm a little angry, because in this world of bad people it seems so difficult to help others.
    Good travels for everyone!
    P.S.-> Send me a private message if you want to discuss it more.

#3 Posted: 12/8/2014 - 07:33

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Mike,

You've got no right to be even a little angry. Antonia is right. You spammed and got called on it. You've been travelling in Southeast Asia for a year and frequently check Travelfish, but this is the first post you made?

Having said that, I really loved my visit to the Cameron Highlands. We didn't find Jim Thompson, but the scenery was spectacular as was the visit to a tea plantation there. I don't think the Cameron Highlands otherwise get much coverage on Travelfish.

#4 Posted: 12/8/2014 - 10:07

• ajaskowiec

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2014

Hi there! I also spent some days in Westwood Higland lately, what a nice place! I'm not only talkng about the breathtaking atmosphere inside made of wood but also about Troji, the owner! Such a nice guy to meet, to appreciate your time there :) And don't worry if the place seems to be in the middle of nowhere, you'are in the mddle of tea and flowers plantation! And If you want to move around, hith-hiking is so easy on this road, that if you wait more than 5 minutes, I'll be really surprised! ENJOY your stay there!

#5 Posted: 14/8/2014 - 06:27

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Antonia,

I know you are a big fan of Malaysian food. Does it usually include this much SPAM? VBR.

#6 Posted: 14/8/2014 - 12:45

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Thanks, Exacto - you made me laugh!!

#7 Posted: 14/8/2014 - 14:02

• Mikelpc

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2014
    Location Spain
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Exacto and Antonia, I copy this from Travelfish website:
    About Travelfish.org
    hosts2.jpg
    Samantha Brown and Stuart McDonald came up with Travelfish.org as they sunned themselves on an eastern Thai beach in 2004. They wanted to use the internet to better provide travel intelligence to independent travellers, to help them find more interesting destinations, to get off the beaten track and to find little-known places to stay. They also wanted to help little-known places to stay find people to host.
    The hostel I wrote about is OFF of the beaten track and is a LITTLE-KNOWN place. It's NOT in Tanah Rata where EVERYONE goes. It's somehow hard to find but as I told you worth to visit!

Maybe I should write a personal mail to Samantha and Stuart hoping they still follow their initial ideas... or maybe it changed as LP did...

#8 Posted: 15/8/2014 - 01:05

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Mike,

Ooohh, I can copy and paste too!

When you made this post, you would have seen this written on the "add a new forum topic" form:
    Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines"very carefully.

If you'd bothered to read those guidelines, you would have seen this (emphasis the site's own, not mine):

The Travelfish travel forum exists to serve as an information resource for travellers planning a trip to Southeast Asia -- it does not exist as a spamfest for businesses to flog their wares.

Nevertheless, we realise there is a desire among business not currently listed in the Travelfish site, to get a mention on the forum. To satisfy this need, we have created specific sections within the forum for Additions -- they're listed under the title New Listings section of the forum.

If you wish to add your place of business to the Travelfish forum, you are more than welcome to do so -- once and once only, in the New Listings section mentioned above.

Do not, and we want to be very clear on this, so there are no mis-understandings, do not do any of the following
    * List your business in other sections on the messageboard.
    * List it in the New Listings section, then bump it up with a later post to get it back onto the homepage. If you need your entry changed, contact us by email with the details and we'll change it.
    * Don't pretend to be a guest and plug it on the forum -- be honest, say who you are -- it's easier for everyone that way.

We reckon the above are pretty simple rules to follow, but they're obviously way too complicated for some businesses. If you don't follow the rules, your business will be blacklisted. By that we mean you won't be listed anywhere on the Travelfish site -- ever. There are no second chances -- we don't believe in rehab for spammers.

So well done, Mike. The rules of this board apply to you whether you like them or not. When you decided to help the business market itself, you were in affect acting as an agent of that business, and therefore are no longer a completely independent traveller. When you posted "nice experience" you broke the rules above. Breaking the rules and then getting uppity and attacking both the site and the people who point out you've broken the rules DOESN'T magically make those rules disappear, it just ruins the work you were trying to do in the first place.

BTW, I've forwarded the personal insults you left on my blog to this site's administrators.

#9 Posted: 15/8/2014 - 01:54

• Mikelpc

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2014
    Location Spain
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Sorry but how could I try to do:

They wanted to use the Internet to better provide travel intelligence to independent travellers, to help them find more interesting destinations, to get off the beaten track and to find little-known places to stay. They also wanted to help little-known places to stay find people to host.

Tell me, if you were in my case. And if you see a place that is not listed in this website but you would like to tell the world about your nice experience there. How should I do it? Please try to put step by step how I should do it. I don't want to make the same mistake again. But I'm really thinking about giving up doing these kind of things in the future.

I'm NOT the owner of the place, I just wanted to help. I created the account (westwood,) for them (WITHOUT their approval, also ANOTHER MISTAKE, they could be angry with me about it, but I took the risk) to be listed and I send them the user name and the password.

I hope one day you decide to go to Cameron Highlands and take a look at the place. I said TAKE A LOOK, that's for free. I also hope that these place and the family wont change and become a non hospitable place anymore, that could happen. Too much hope maybe....

And sorry if I offended you. It's just that I became crazy seeing that it's difficult to help people. It's easy to start a war than to help and love others. Maybe I just should keep on traveling WITHOUT helping others...

#10 Posted: 15/8/2014 - 02:06

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi everyone,

The initial entry which into Malaysia Additions that went through here is sufficient -- that's what that section is there for. Mikelpc but posting again here, yeah that's a bit spammy, as you'd posted already in Malaysia Additions under a different username.

So anyway, I'm locking this thread off as I don't think it is going to go anywhere useful for anybody.

Also, any stalking/abusive messages -- on Travelfsih or elsewhere -- and the account responsible will be suspended.

We don't cover the Highlands at the moment.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 15/8/2014 - 03:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cameron Highlands ... By samguesthouse on 29 Dec 2011 0 1758 29 Dec 2011
Cameron Highlands ... By dmg on 18 Jan 2009 2 3274 19 Jan 2009
cameron highlands help ... By jonnyn12 on 30 Mar 2011 2 2444 5 May 2011
Butterworth to Cameron Highlands bus? ... By sophgibs on 18 Dec 2010 0 3077 18 Dec 2010
New hostel in Cameron Highlands ... By westwood on 3 Aug 2014 0 278 3 Aug 2014
Cameron Highlands to Gua Musang ... By fox80 on 7 Sep 2010 6 5528 14 Jan 2012
Cameron Highlands or Similar in December ... By mattspeak on 15 Dec 2011 0 1064 15 Dec 2011
Cameron Highlands - need anti-malarials? ... By LaraP on 9 Aug 2010 3 4398 12 Aug 2010
Cameron Highlands bus availability from KL a day before Hari Raya Pausa holidays ... By ashokSPB on 8 Jul 2010 6 2739 11 Aug 2010