Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Non touristy islands and beaches in Malaysia?

• Jimwif

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2008

Hi - can't find the a "Malaysia" section, but I thought I might be able to find some help here anyway.

Basically, my girlfriend and I have just arrived in Peninsular Malaysia, and we're planning to go island hopping down to the bottom, then work our way back up.

We'd like to go to some relatively quiet, non-touristy islands (or at the very least quiet beaches on busier islands).

Anyone have any suggestions?!

(Mainland beaches are ok too!)

Thanks a lot,

Wilf

#1 Posted: 16/6/2008 - 19:56

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Wilf,

Ahhh there's not a Malaysia section on the site because outside of the Perhentians, KL and Malacca, I've got no idea about the place! was hoping somebody else would have chimed in...

I really liked the Perhentians -- snorkelling there was amazing, but it is a very well touristed location...

Sorry can't be of more help!

#2 Posted: 19/6/2008 - 18:18

• CG

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

Although one year to late in my reply to anyone else that's interested, if you want a less touristy island, you can try Pulau Tenggol. It's more of a diver's secret island. But that was a few years ago, now I'm not too sure but i bet it'll be less developed then Perhentian or Redang.

#3 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 00:35

• thegrumpster

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

Hi Wilf,

We just got back from Malaysia and stayed at Cherating on the East Coast. We stayed at the Holiday Villa Resort, and it was really quiet mid-week. One day we had two pools and the beach to ourselves, but it depends on your budget, as we splurged a bit.

There was some budget accommodation near the Cherating Beach township, and it was relatively quiet there as the beach is mostly empty of people.

We didn't get a chance to try any of the East Coast islands, so can't help you there

#4 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 16:17

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Tioman is a gorgeous island, is duty free, can be flown onto from Singapore and KL and has several very laid back untouristy beaches. Juara is one - because access is a bit tricky from the airport and ferry, not too many people go over there these days (there used to be an around island ferry). The more southern beach at Juara is particularly chill with only about 4 bungalow places over a distance of about a km. Got some pix etc in the link below.
    Any of the southern beaches on Tioman are also pretty quiet - you need to go south of Paya.
    caveat - Tioman is popular with local holidaymakers on weekends and school holidays meaning some of these beaches may not be so quiet.

#5 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 18:36

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

The Perhentian islands are not worth all the hype in my opinion.
    I was thee last week and the whole place is geared to ripping you off.
    I had a room booked, arrived to find they had given it away. Despite me having proof that I had booked they still didn't care. I mean really didn't care. The hotels are packed, expensive and dirty. I can handle basic, but it costs little to clean. We ended upgetting a water taxiround the beaches until we found place - the last room on the beach.

My entire experience of Malaysia was quite poor. The people are generally grumpy and extremely rude. Again, manners cost nothing. I would go out of my way to avoid the place - just my opinion of course. I wasonly there for 5 days and wanted to leave afterday 2. KL was ok.

#6 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 14:28

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Spart - travellers need NAMES of places which don't honour their bookings.

#7 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 08:17

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Perhentians are gorgeous, but crowded in the high season. Great for snorkeling - you're almost guaranteed to see Hawksbill sea turtles and reef sharks.

Langkawi is like Pattaya - over-developed, over-priced.

Pulau Tioman is alright - it's quiet as long as it isn't a Malaysian or Singaporean public holiday, the beaches are OK, the snorkeling is OK, cheap duty-free booze and cigarettes.

Surprisingly, there's a nice island near Melaka called Pulau Besar. There's full coverage of it on here, so check it out in the Malaysia section. It's not really the type of place for a multi-day beach holiday, but it's a great day trip. The island has gorgeous beaches and is mostly abandoned, although there's still regular transport out there. It's eerie and interesting.

#8 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 01:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best islands (less touristy) in Cambodia ... By jenny_v on 2 Jan 2012 5 4496 16 Jan 2012
More remote, less touristy and more 'Thai' culture in the south western islands ... By jojow25 on 23 Sep 2009 1 3582 23 Sep 2009
4000 Islands, Beaches in Cambodia, or Beaches in Vietnam? ... By ekumbier on 26 Apr 2012 3 3013 11 May 2012