Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Kuala Lumpur to Saigon in 3 weeks: can it be done?

Posted by virusvaleria on 17/4/2009 at 12:46

arriving by plane to kuala lumpur and then bus it or train it all the way up to saigon.
Can it be done?

#1 virusvaleria has been a member since 10/3/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by virusvaleria on 21/4/2009 at 08:59

in the sense, its 3 weeks enough?

#2 virusvaleria has been a member since 10/3/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/4/2009 at 11:27 admin

Sure - ten days in Thailand and a week and a half in Cambodia through to Saigon. It is a rush - but certainly doable - depends a lot on where you're planning on stopping along the way.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by brucemoon on 29/4/2009 at 11:10

virusvaleria

Is the journey your destination or Saigon?

If the latter, fly to Saigon and then begin your journey.

Cheers

#4 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by virusvaleria on 30/4/2009 at 13:53

hey Brucemoon:
we arrive in Kuala Lumpur cos its way cheaper then flying to Saigon...

#5 virusvaleria has been a member since 10/3/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by brucemoon on 30/4/2009 at 15:12

virusvaleria

The reason I asked is because I was wondering whether - in the 3 weeks - whether the travel part of your journey was most important.

Or, whether the most important aspect is the exchange between you and the local people / culture / etc.?

I ask because going overland to Saigon from KL means you will be spending a HUGE amount of time sitting in buses, trains, taxi's, waiting rooms, and hotel (or Guest House) rooms.

If you want to spend MUCH time in transport/accommodation, so be it.

If it is the people interaction that appeals to you, maybe you can consider flying to Saigon and starting your journey there.

Regarding Vietnam, check out my blog, it may help...

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Vietnam/blog-373859.html

I'm assuming your intention to get to Saigon is that you've seen 'cheap' flights from there. But, several airlines fly from places in SE Asia to KL.

If you start in Saigon, you can then take your time holidaying, and wherever you end up after 3 weeks you can then fly back to KL.

For example, you may get to Siem Reap, or Vientiane, or Chiang Mai, or Bangkok, or Phuket, or wherever. And, knowing that you've really enjoyed taking your time, etc., you can then schedule a flight late in your holiday.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers

#6 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by virusvaleria on 7/5/2009 at 08:00

Thanks indeed. From Melbourne though theres a really cheap flight with Air Asia to Kuala Lumpur (they only do that route). It costs almost double to fly to Saigon, thats why we are flying to KL.
But we are also thinking that we may take a few flights here and there. to speed things up u know...

#7 virusvaleria has been a member since 10/3/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by brucemoon on 7/5/2009 at 08:39

virusvaleria

We're on the Gold Coast, and use AirAsia as well.

We took the AirAsia flight from KL to Chiang Mai on our last trip, and flew from HaNoi back to KL.

Previously, we'd flown from Kl to HaNoi, and returned to KL from Siem Reap.

Next, we're going to KL then London all with AirAsia, but with a side journey to Miri (on Borneo) with Air Asia after getting to KL.

This is a lengthy way to say we use KL as a hub to then go on.

After much travelling throughout SEAsia, I'm of the opinion that interacting the people from differing 'cultures' can be problematic to short time travellers. I say this because I'm one of those people who try and learn a bit of the local language so that I communicate with the locals where I am. This ALWAYS helps in making the interactions entertaining and so making the journey more enjoyable. So, by visiting several countries, it becomes difficult for me to remember the language and so enhance my interactions.

Cheers

#8 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.