Malaysian RORT - by AirAsia

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi

Air Asia own a company called Tune Hotels. And, the product is a RIP OFF RORT!!

The blurb says "from 9.99MYR", now even "from 8MYR" for distant places.

The sad fact is that unless you book many months out you can't buy a bed/room for anything less than the competition - typically around 100-130MYR.

BE WARNED...

You are NOT buying a room with bed, TV, linen, etc.

Tune Hotel WILL NOT supply the necessary basics to stay in the room.

Rather, Tune Hotels will CHARGE you extra for the products everyone else supplies in the price.

Want to get into the room? Go pay an extra 5MYR to get an entry card for your room. Don't want to pay? Too bad, you can't use the room!!!

Want a shower? Go pay an extra 5MYR for the towel!!

Didn't bring your own soap? Go pay extra?

Can't sleep in the unbelievably hot rooms? Go buy 12 hours of air-con - another 15MYR.

- - - - - -

So, what everyone else includes in their price, Tune Hotels leaves out and makes you pay.

- - - - - - -

"Comfortable beds", they say!!! Only if you like pillow soft!!!

- - - - - - -

"Power shower" they say!!!
    No, it's merely a huge showerhead and a blatant and unnecessary waste of precious water!!!

- - - - - -

"Clean" they say!!!

Yes, if you don't look at the grot on the walls, the flaking paint, and the cockroaches after dark!!!

- - - - - -

Want to see the TV news? Not in Tune Hotel rooms!!!

- - - - - -

You've been warned.

#1 Posted: 29/4/2009 - 11:06

• Advertisement

• kevwc

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2008

Thanks for the "forewarning." I might still stay in one, particularly at the LCCT in Sepang, should I need a next day early connection. There isn't any option much to speak of nearby. When you reserve on line you know what you are paying for. It may not be much, but it is better than the terminal. I went through the booking process for the LCCT Tune. It turned out to be 58 MYR (approx. US$17) for a room with 12 hours air, towel/soap. May not be the Oriental in BKK, but it could do in a pinch.

I am with you on one other thing. Air Asia, which clearly owns these hotels, doesn't really work too hard to satisfy its customers. My AA experiences have been mixed, so the Tune may be just as much a gamble.

#2 Posted: 4/5/2009 - 10:51

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Check out the Concorde near LCCT / KLIA too for a cheap place to stay... 20 mins from the airport, basic but convenient...

http://sepang.concordehotelsresorts.com/

chris

#3 Posted: 5/5/2009 - 00:47

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

I don't know how you booked your room, but on the web site it is quite clear what is and isn't included in the price... during the booking process you get the option to add the various "luxuries".

I've managed to book a room for October at the LCCT for less than RM74(£13)/night including towels/soap and aircon. I couldn't get a double room near the airport for anywhere close to that otherwise.

The first line on my booking confirmation after the price details is "Please be informed that all Tune Hotels rooms do not include towels or soap but they are available for purchase in the Convenience Store located in the hotel lobby."

Regarding the RM5 deposit for the key card - they are not exactly alone in charging this... Many hotels and hostels I've stayed in (not just in Asia, but throughout the world) have taken a key deposit which is refunded on check out.

I'm not saying Air Asia or Tune Hotels are perfect... you do tend to pay for what you get, but my experiences of Air Asia have been almost entirely positive on many journeys so far... I'll let you know what I think of Tune Hotels after my trip in October.

#4 Posted: 5/5/2009 - 01:50

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

tails101

Thanks for the comment. When I 'purchased' my accommodation last year, those 'options' were not spelt out in the way you define.

Perhaps I'm not the first to encounter the mismatch, and they have adjusted their website.

I do hope the LCCT rooms are cleaner - a new building would suppose - as the downtown KL one was grotty.

cheers

#5 Posted: 5/5/2009 - 06:20

• virusvaleria

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2009

i heard about the Tune Hotels. altrhough theres a really good website for hostels called hostelworld.com. you can read other peoples reviews and book too... i never had any probs with it

#6 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 12:33

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Well I slept (if that's the right word) on a bench in the LCCT twice last year. Late flight from BKK and very early flight to Manado the next morning. Nor worth going into town and back in a taxi for just 2-3 hours sleep.

The Concord looks much nicer but the cheapest rooms cost 200RM. A queen sized bed with A/C in the Tune Hotel would cost about 100RM.

Because most people use airport hotels in order to get a few hours sleep between late/early flights, it's unlikely that facilities like a swimming pool are going to be used. So basically you're paying double for a bigger nicer room in a more attractive building. (Tune Hotels look really hideous in the pictures).

I'm not sure if it's worth 100RM to sleep in a proper bed for about 5 hours but I certainly wouldn't fork out 200RM for that.

#7 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 15:43

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS. Air Asia own a company called Tune Hotels.

Actually it would be more accurate to say that Tune owns Air Asia.

http://www.airasia.com/site/my/en/page.jsp?name=Major%20Shareholders&id=2ebfb244-c0a8c85d-177e6b40-c1bbbe62

#8 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 16:49

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

I stayed once at the Concord. OK hotel (sort of), but its out of the way of the LCCT and the taxi fare to/from the LCCT terminal makes for a further big cost.

Cheers

#9 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 17:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.