Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Air Asia - London to KL

Posted by Nokka on 18/6/2009 at 16:36

I've flown with Air Asia short haul, which was fine. But has anyone flown long haul with them and what was the experience like ?

Certainly, their fare from London to KL is quite cheap, but is it cheap for a reason ?

#1 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259

Posted by DLuek on 18/6/2009 at 20:57 TF writer

Have yet to do the long haul, but having recently flown with them a few times and had good experiences, I want to give it a try. I imagine it's a little less leg room than other airlines, maybe food has to be paid for (not sure)...you know, basic budget service. But for budget, they do seem to get it right. If you end up doing up, do let us all know!

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,151
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by BruceMoon on 22/6/2009 at 14:18

Nokka

Booked to go Australia to London in October.

From Gold Coast to KL - 7 hours, I've done many times. Generally, a good carrier (except for the uselessness of staff on any non-fly question).

Cheers

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by natwest on 8/7/2009 at 17:00

Air Asia X is almost the same as Air Asia, except that u check-in in a bigger, separate area in KL-LCCT.

The aircraft is newer and wider than other normal AA aircraft and more passengers too. It has a chargeable seatback TV called "Xcite" (which is quite expensive to use) They have this chatroom thing in the entertainment system which is free to use. Also a "soiled" in-flight magazine to read too.

There was no delay in terms of dep. time (in my case)
I was surprised to note that they have assigned seats (as opposed to free seating on short haul)
Of course, u need to buy/ pre-order ur own food/ blanket as well. No free lunch.

The toilet gets a bit dirty after the meal has been sold/served. So watch out London!

Agree with BruceMoon on the uselessness of the stewardess. They need to ask their supervisor before giving u an answer for a simple Q. But hey, it's budget, so need to lower our expectations here.

#4 natwest has been a member since 6/3/2008. Location: China. Posts: 24
 Twitter 

Posted by CG on 9/7/2009 at 00:31

If you're flying long haul try to get the bigger XL seats. It can make the long flight more comfortable

#5 CG has been a member since 9/7/2009. Posts: 15

Posted by SBE on 9/7/2009 at 00:59

Air Asia started assigning seating on short haul flights last year too.

I'd carefully check offers by regular companies before booking Air Asia. Although it's a decent company you do have to pay for entertainment, meals and drinks. There are some unusually cheap full service flight deals about at the moment.

#6 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,003
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by vinygo on 11/7/2009 at 18:52

I'm flying from London to KL on the 19/09/09 the flight is very cheap even once you add your meals, your bags and the pre-book seat, it comes to £388 return.
It's not bad.

Will let you know once I get there.

#7 vinygo has been a member since 11/7/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by BruceMoon on 12/7/2009 at 06:28

vinygo

If you really got 388 pounds, that's ultra cheap - the exit tax from the UK (and included in the price) is 300 pounds.

Cheers

#8 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Deebs on 12/7/2009 at 18:24

My parents work in KL and they got the £99 one way tickets when the service was first launched. Bargain! They're both tall and had no problems with leg room etc.

Not sure what you mean by exit tax BruceMoon - have never heard of that before. Airport taxes and fuel charges are usual, but in my experience they're £10 to £50 or so....

#9 Deebs has been a member since 12/7/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by BruceMoon on 12/7/2009 at 18:31

deebs

Many nations introduced an exit tax - a tax you pay when you depart a country (also known as departure tax).

Several years ago, the IAFTA (the international travel agency lobby group) convinced nations and airlines that exit taxes be included in the ticket price. Except for New Zealand, Peru and a few other wayward nations, this now occurs.

UK raised their exit tax about 9 months ago to 300 pounds. Comedians argue it's so expensive, it was designed to keep residents from travelling abroad.

Hope that explains.

Cheers

#10 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.