Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Air Asia - London to KL

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I've flown with Air Asia short haul, which was fine. But has anyone flown long haul with them and what was the experience like ?

Certainly, their fare from London to KL is quite cheap, but is it cheap for a reason ?

#1 Posted: 18/6/2009 - 16:36

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Have yet to do the long haul, but having recently flown with them a few times and had good experiences, I want to give it a try. I imagine it's a little less leg room than other airlines, maybe food has to be paid for (not sure)...you know, basic budget service. But for budget, they do seem to get it right. If you end up doing up, do let us all know!

#2 Posted: 18/6/2009 - 20:57

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Nokka

Booked to go Australia to London in October.

From Gold Coast to KL - 7 hours, I've done many times. Generally, a good carrier (except for the uselessness of staff on any non-fly question).

Cheers

#3 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 14:18

• natwest

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2008
    Location China

Air Asia X is almost the same as Air Asia, except that u check-in in a bigger, separate area in KL-LCCT.

The aircraft is newer and wider than other normal AA aircraft and more passengers too. It has a chargeable seatback TV called "Xcite" (which is quite expensive to use) They have this chatroom thing in the entertainment system which is free to use. Also a "soiled" in-flight magazine to read too.

There was no delay in terms of dep. time (in my case)
    I was surprised to note that they have assigned seats (as opposed to free seating on short haul)
    Of course, u need to buy/ pre-order ur own food/ blanket as well. No free lunch.

The toilet gets a bit dirty after the meal has been sold/served. So watch out London!

Agree with BruceMoon on the uselessness of the stewardess. They need to ask their supervisor before giving u an answer for a simple Q. But hey, it's budget, so need to lower our expectations here.

#4 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 17:00

• CG

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

If you're flying long haul try to get the bigger XL seats. It can make the long flight more comfortable

#5 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 00:31

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Air Asia started assigning seating on short haul flights last year too.

I'd carefully check offers by regular companies before booking Air Asia. Although it's a decent company you do have to pay for entertainment, meals and drinks. There are some unusually cheap full service flight deals about at the moment.

#6 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 00:59

• vinygo

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2009

I'm flying from London to KL on the 19/09/09 the flight is very cheap even once you add your meals, your bags and the pre-book seat, it comes to £388 return.
    It's not bad.

Will let you know once I get there.

#7 Posted: 11/7/2009 - 18:52

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

vinygo

If you really got 388 pounds, that's ultra cheap - the exit tax from the UK (and included in the price) is 300 pounds.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 06:28

• Deebs

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

My parents work in KL and they got the £99 one way tickets when the service was first launched. Bargain! They're both tall and had no problems with leg room etc.

Not sure what you mean by exit tax BruceMoon - have never heard of that before. Airport taxes and fuel charges are usual, but in my experience they're £10 to £50 or so....

#9 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 18:24

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

deebs

Many nations introduced an exit tax - a tax you pay when you depart a country (also known as departure tax).

Several years ago, the IAFTA (the international travel agency lobby group) convinced nations and airlines that exit taxes be included in the ticket price. Except for New Zealand, Peru and a few other wayward nations, this now occurs.

UK raised their exit tax about 9 months ago to 300 pounds. Comedians argue it's so expensive, it was designed to keep residents from travelling abroad.

Hope that explains.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 18:31

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.