Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Air Asia - Luggage Fees

• chopstixwife

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2009

Air Asia has this on their website:
    Can guests share baggage allowance if they are in the same booking number?
    Answer :
    Yes, guests within the same booking number may share or pool baggage as long as they purchase the relevant baggage weight.

Is it possible to use this loop hole to my advantage? Since the husband and I will by flying together, I was thinking of prepaying for two 15 kg bag but of course we will be sharing one 25kg bag. I rather pay $4 for two non existant small bags then paying $30 USD for one large bag.

What do you think?

#1 Posted: 19/6/2009 - 05:53

• Advertisement

• virusvaleria

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2009

omg...what??? my theory is: always best to get extra kilos just in case you wanna shopping... just pay whatever kilos u need or MAY need...

#2 Posted: 19/6/2009 - 12:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

chopstixwife - yes I think you're reading that right.

#3 Posted: 20/6/2009 - 14:27

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

chopstixwife

And, if you've got it wrong????

AirAsia's words are readily interpreted to mean anything..

I suggest a very light weight bag, put half in that (eg. the heavies) and present both bags. That way, there's no risk.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 14:16

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Why not try to contact Air Asia and find out? They must have call centre or email address you can use. That would get rid of all uncertainty...

#5 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 14:36

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

busylizzy

I'm rolling around the floor laughing. What you suggested sounds so simpe and practical.

But!!!!

AirAsia don't answer emails, their call centre is only intereted in selling tix, and no-one is remotely interested in advising of policy (I think, because in case they get the sack).

AirAsia is good at flying people, their customer relations SUX.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 08:39

• natwest

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2008
    Location China

The answer to this Q is all depends on the mood and habit of the check-in staff, cos I encountered something similar in the past too.
    But generally, yes, u can pool ur baggage together, even if u r booked on separate itinerary.

cant agree more, Brucemoon
    Busylizzy, if Air Asia ever supplies an email address, then I guess there r many less disgruntled customers. They only provide a compliment page over their website for u to send request, which takes them forever (or in my case, more than one week) to reply or in most cases, non-reply. Welcome to Air Asia Customer Services!

U better get a lawyer if u want advise on their policies. I think u'll waste a lot of call minutes if u r trying to find out by calling AA's call centre, better ask us fellow travellers.
    Their check-in staff is pretty useless in terms of answering Qs. I once asked the check-in lady for the arrival time of my flight, and she had to call her supervisor for the answer!

#7 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 17:35

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Glad I could provide some entertainment, Bruce :-).

I haven't had to deal with Air Asia customer service, so I live and learn. Flew with them once last year, and everything went smoothly. I have bought a few tickets for my upcoming trip, so it's good to know what to expect if something DOES go wrong!

Another thing I learned from a work colleague about Air Asia that might be useful to someone else: check very carefully what airport you are flying in and out of, especially if connecting with a flight on another airline. I believe Air Asia use small, out-of-the-way airports in some countries as the pay lower fees, etc. KL Airport was the example given to me, although I haven't confirmed this yet for myself.

#8 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 19:26

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

BL

Yes, you are correct re: low cost carrier terminals. Not only KL.

In KL, AA use the original domestic terminal. If you want to connect from/to the newer international terminal there is a shuttle bus (about 50 cents).

But, there are upsides. The use of the original domestic terminal at KL is that they dominate that terminal and connecting flighhts become easier. Also, and this is a very BIG plus, there are 8MYR buses to KL Central (75MYR at the international terminal).

In London they use Stansted, which is to the north.

I could go on.

Cheers

#9 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 19:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.