Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Changing Money...

• mizsarah

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi there,

Just trying to get a sense of changing $$ in Malaysia... ATMs? Conterfeit money? US $ changed in banks? Pay for stuff in US $ ?

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 23:28

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Like anywhere else - change your cash at a money changer and be sure to double count the cash they give you. Can't think of any reason why Malaysia would be different to its neighbours in this regard.

#2 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 05:36

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Authorized moneychangers rather than banks in Malaysia. You get a better rate. I've a feeling the ATMs sometimes cough a bit when you don't use locally issued bank cards but don't quote me on that.

#3 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 15:55

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

sarah

Malaysia has a reputation for dealing only in Ringgits. I doubt that anyone would give you a fair rate of exchange if you thrust US$ under their nose.

I use an overseas card at ATM's in Malaysia. Great! No international card use fee charged at the Malaysian end, and direct connection to my bank in Australia. I just go to the ATM at the air terminal and get what I need.

If you want to change money into MYR, I find the better value money changers in KL are located at the northern end of Chinatown around Jl Tun HS Lee to Lebuh Ampang. Just watch what you are given (in case of a mistake).

Cheers

#4 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 17:27

• whiteelepha-
    nt

Joined Travelfish
    22nd July, 2009

when changing money make sure you count notes twice, esp those of similar colour. Locals often count very very quickly as theyre used to coounting very large quantities. Don't feel you need to rush, take your time and count at your pace.

#5 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 17:28

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

International ATMs are everywhere... lots of authorized money changers in KL who give good rates and no commission. Cash transactions in Ringgit only. Hotels, nice restaurants, and larger shops will take credit cards.

#6 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 01:52

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I wasn't sure about ATMs because my card got repeatedly refused in Penang a few years ago.

Probably my bank's fault rather than Maybank's. My wretched bank in France sometimes won't even let me buy a seat on Air Asia because it's a company based in SE Asia!

#7 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 02:18

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I've used my Canadian bank card and my HSBC bank card all over Peninsular Malaysia and Malaysian Borneo with no problems.

#8 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 02:31

• limeandsoda

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2007

Have used Australian bank cards in ATMS all over PM and borneo too, also no problems.

#9 Posted: 27/7/2009 - 14:21

• heart08

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2009

For your convenience, bring your credit card especially those recognized worlwide

#10 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 13:52

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Money Changing - Yen ... By ValenciaPilgrim on 5 Jan 2007 1 1372 6 Jan 2007