Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Air Asia... record?

• mizsarah

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

I have a flight outa HCM City in Viet Nam in mid August at noon (not on Air Asia). A flight from KL appears to get there at 8 a.m. Does this seem like a bad plan on my part? What's people's experience with Air Asia being late/cancelled?

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 23:31

• Advertisement

• CG

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

They used to have many delays a couple of years back, but now i think they're pretty reliable. But if the timing is really important to you then i would say try not to take that risk. Choose another airline like MAS(which is more expensive) or stick with air asia and take an earlier flight.

#2 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 02:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Be sure to check which airport you would be arriving at and departing from. I understand in some cases (like KL), Air Asia do not land at the main airport, but instead, use a smaller airport just out of the city. I think this is because of the lower landing charges or some such thing.

Not sure how many airports there are in HCM but it would pay to check.

#3 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 03:54

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Sarah

I read you as saying you are flying AirAsia to SaiGon from KL. And, later in the day, flying out of SaiGon with another carrier.

Remember that Low Cost Carriers [LCC] are what is termed 'point=to=point'. That means they get you to the destination, but don't take any responsibility for hooking you up to your own itinerary (or even theirs).

That said, AirAsia has a policy of departing within 2 hours of schedule, or you get an 80MYR 'voucher'. If nothing else, they'll do their utmost to depart within that 2 hour 'window'. On recent AirAsia trips, I've been delayed by around 1 hour 40 a couple of times.

The usual advice issued by LCC's is to not make a connecting flight within 3 hours for internal, and 4 hours for international.

I'd suggest you consider that advice.

Also, if you have reasonable travel insurance, a delay caused by a LCC to a reasonably scheduled onward connection (ie. over 3 hours / 4 hours) will generally be accepted as a claim.

Maybe you should call your travel insurance company to check your position.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 17:35

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Air Asia AM flights tend to be on time, evening flights on certain routes (usually short ones that have several flights per day) depend on whether there have been delays earlier in the day...in those cases the same 1-2 planes shuttle back & forth so delays can snowball.

#5 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 20:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.