Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Taman Negara

• perkypurple-
    pixie

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2008

This question is inspired by the last post I read.

I would like to go to Taman Negara from KL and would appreciated guidance from experience as to how to get there, where to stay, what to do. I will be going on my own without my own transport. I'm struggling to decide the best way to do it, and how long for.

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 14:29

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

perkypurplepixie

I love your moniker...

- - -

What was the last 'post' you read?

- - -

Taman Negara is amazingly good quality jungle and well worth the effort.

- - - -

For those without a car...

The first destination from Kuala Lumpur is Jerantut. A long distance bus from KL to Jerantut takes about 3 hours. From KL, either get a direct bus (there are some) or one that goes to Kuala Lipis (they go via Jerantut).

The Jerantut or K. Lipis buses leave KL from Pekeliling (not Chinatown) which is near Titiwansa LRT/MRT.

There is also a train. It's nicknamed the Jungle Express. You can take from KL Sentral. The train actually goes to Kuala Lipis. There's several a day, and one that goes in the middle of the day. As I prefer boats & trains over buses, the train is my preference.

- - -

From Jerantut, there is a bus that goes to the jetty at Kuala Temberling (a small town on Sangai Temberling [Temberling River]). This bus leaves about hourly from 7:30am (till late afternoon) and takes about 3/4 hour. I heard that sometimes if there are insufficient pax, the bus just waits to the next 'departure', so don't rely on the bus going as planned.

The next link is a long boat up the Sangai Temberling to Kuala Tahan (opposite Taman Negara, where the backpacker accommodation is located). The boat takes about 2 - 3 hours, depending on river flow. I can't remember how many boats travel from K Temberling / day (maybe it has to do with traveller numbers). From my memory, a boat leaves about midday (or a little thereafter). There is a fee to enter the NP (not much, I recall) that has to be paid at K. Temberling if you take a boat (or in Jerantut before you catch a bus if going that way to K. Tahan).

Depending on the season - ie. whether the road is dry and/or whether there are enough tourists - there is a bus that leaves Jerantut to K. Tahan. But, I would inquire at Jerantut, but not count on it.

Anyway, the boat journey up river is - to my mind - much more enjoyable. There are not many places left in the world where you can travel upstream in a longboat with really good quality jungle on each side.

There is adequate accommodation at both Jerantut and K. Temberling should you seek to stay overnight. My suggestion is to get to Jerantut, and 'sus' out the options, etc. there. Jerantut is a sort of broody laid back town, and has a distinctive (and for me likeable) charm. But, for city-fied ppl, it may appear hillbilly.

The accommodation at K. Tahan is best described as sparse. But, it is adequate. If you take the boat, and tourist numbers are high, there is a scramble up the banks & to GH to secure accommodation.

One takes a boat across the river from K. Tahan to Taman Negara (to go trekking). Or one can take a boat upstream to nomadic villages. And, there are local boats heading up smaller rivers that you can choose to join.

Most tourists hang around K. Tahan / Taman Negara. So, if you are adventurous, you have the possibility of experiencing some wonderful sights/experiences.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 4/8/2009 - 19:45

• perkypurple-
    pixie

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2008

Brilliant. You are a star. Thanks.

Just for anyone else who reads this - I've been told September is the better time to go rather than July/Aug as it is quieter, cheaper and there is enough rain to keep it lush and cool (by Asian weather standards).

#3 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 10:47

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

ppp

I don't think there is a dry season for Taman Negara. Just a wet and wetter season.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 11:16

• gilrand

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2009

Heya,

This info comes handy for me too! Only thing is that I'm trying to reach Taman Negara from north (Kota Bharu) rather than south (KL), but I guess drill is the same. Get the Jungle Express from Wakaf Bharu station and hop off in Jerantut? Only thing is that what I've checked the train arrives in Jerantut in the middle of the night..

Thanks,

Gilrand

#5 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 14:08

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

did a quick 3D2N trip there years ago:
    http://thewanderingstraycat.blogspot.com/search/label/taman%20negara%202005

boat upriver from Kuala Tembeling to Kuala Tahan (agree with BM's recommendation on this), the trail leading to the canopy walk, & boat further upriver for a 2D1N trek to a few caves (overnight in cave).

temperature is one thing, don't forget about humidity. not something you can control, but being mentally prepared + prepared to replenish water & electrolytes that will be lost through sweat will help lots.

rain = leeches!

this is the guidebook i'd recommend: http://www.selectbooks.com.sg/getTitle.aspx?SBNum=032677

gilrand:
    was there years ago, but yup the south-bound train arrived at Jerantut in the middle of the night. if you're going there during the northeast monsoon (around Dec-Jan), that line can sometimes be disrupted by flooding.

#6 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 23:43

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Hi

A more recent update...

"To get to Taman Negara from Kuala Lumpur, catch the Perwira Express from the Pekeleling Bus Station to Jerantut. Air-conditioned buses leave at 9am, 10am, 11.30am, 3pm, 5pm and take 3 1/2 hours at a cost of RM9 (A$4.50). An overnight stay is usually necessary in Jerantut as the boats from Kuala Tembeling (18 km from Jerantut) leave at 9am and 2pm."

I hears today that sometourist companies organise a direct bus from KL to Kuala Temberling (leaves KL at about 9:30am and gets pax to K T for 2pm boat. Don't know more details.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 13/8/2009 - 13:32

• gilrand

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2009

Heya,

A few follow up questions to this topic.

As the southbound train arrives in Jerantut at 1 am or such is it possible to spend rest of the night at the train station or should I get a room for the rest of the night? Are there any guesthouses nearby?

As BM described the seasons wet and wetter what kind of shoes are ideal for Taman Negara and other forests? If sturdy boots are needed is it possible to rent them from there? I'm uncertain about taking my own hiking boots for the trip as they are quite heavy and if I'm going to use them only few days during the whole half year trip dragging them around all the time sounds pretty stupid.

Thanks guys,

Gilrand

#8 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 19:59

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Gilrand

I can't comment about the train, or sleeping/accommodation options (but try this ).

As for boots, yes you can hire them at the park HQ (or at least I did some 18 months ago). They are the canvas sided rubber boots style.

Cheers

#9 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 20:09

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Jerantut train station: http://www.malaysiasite.nl/jerantuteng.htm

university friends from Kelantan who travel to/from home by train say that the trains are always late. & that was my experience, both northbound (getting there) & southbound (leaving) trains i took were a few hours behind schedule, likewise for the other trains i saw pulling in/out of the station while waiting for mine. good thing about this was, we ended up arriving at sunrise instead of in the wee hours of the morning, & ended up with a full night's sleep on the train.

two accomm options in Jerantut:
    http://www.taman-negara-nks.com/jerantut.htm (dunno if this is their official site though)
    http://www.wauhotels.com

#10 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 00:03

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

I mentioned above that a tourist bus leaves KL directly for Kuala Tembeling.

I found more info on this here .

It may interest those that don't want to stay overnight at Jerantut.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 18:51

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

hi everyone
    for the ones who know me from the post i wrote form new zeland just said all is going right.
    i have this question? its safe to just buy tthe bus and boat ticket to kuala tahan and then book the activities once there? becos travel agency here said me its not safe because maybe when i get there, there is not enough people. im alone but maybe we are two people.
    im planning to go on wednesday.
    thanks if someone can help me
    regards,\
    matias

#12 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 17:23

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Matius

I also answered this question on your other post. But, I'll rewrite here.

I don't know anything about the 'deal' being offered you.

I know that there is a tourist bus operating from Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Temberling. From there, there is a boat that goes up river to Kuala Tahan (as I describe, above).

Maybe your travel agent has a secured a deal where the whole trip from KL to Kuala Tahan is organised. If so, please tell us all the details: from whom did you buy, how much, what time departs, etc..

Once you have found your accommodation in Kuala Tahan, you can choose to do everything on your own. Or, there are also tours offered from there.

If you do on your own, get a small boat across the river (1MYR) to the national park (they go every couple of minutes). From there, you can go hiking on your own - the national parks people provide a map of trails to various places. Or you can join a group (if operating and have spare places).

If you want to hike, and its wet, and you have no hiking boots, you can hire at the national parks office.

From Kuala Tahan, you can join a boat going upstream or across the river into smaller rivers to villages. To organise, either go to the 'tourist help' boats on the riverbank, or talk to the boat owner.

There are so many things you can do on your own, it would take you more than a month to do them all.

Cheers

#13 Posted: 7/9/2009 - 18:33

• matimulinar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2009

hi thanks
    im going to taman negara next week, im in singpaore now. very nice but a little bit more expensive. anyway is good because at hostels internet its free.
    ill be doing all by my own
    any recomendations about acomodation and activities during the day and at night?
    what animals had u seen?
    regards,
    matias

#14 Posted: 12/9/2009 - 17:07

• lizardskin

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2009

go [url=http://www.tamannegara.org/]HERE[/url] and click under transport tab.

Very detailed info on the express buses costs (35-40RM OW) and departures from Radius Hotel/ Bukit Bintang, Kompleks Selangor/China Town, Mandarin Pacific Hotel/China Town, Mutiara Hotel, Bukit Bintang from 8Am - 9Am to Kuala Tembeling Jetty. Departures from Jetty 2pm or 1pm, boats cost from 25 - 28 RM pp.

#15 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 22:40

• lizardskin

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2009

what??? no editing feature here?

#16 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 22:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
taman negara ... By wayney666 on 14 Sep 2011 1 2095 6 Jan 2012
From perhentian islands to taman negara ... By jonyd1 on 4 Mar 2012 5 5650 11 Mar 2012
VIDEO: Taman Negara, Malaysia ... By inspiredbykrissi on 18 Dec 2011 0 3139 18 Dec 2011
Taman Negara or Sarawak for nature? ... By WDCtraveler on 23 Apr 2011 8 4499 9 Jun 2011
Day trip to Taman Negara... advice please! ... By MirTraynor on 16 May 2010 0 3446 16 May 2010
kl to Taman Negara National Park one day ... By sharpie on 14 Apr 2010 2 5140 16 May 2010
Penang or Taman Negara or / and Perenthian Islands ... By markio on 6 May 2010 1 3800 7 May 2010
Langkawi to Taman Negara National Park ... By mario23 on 19 Dec 2011 2 3094 5 Jan 2012
Perhentian islands and Taman Negara in late Sept - Oct ... By gilrand on 27 Jul 2009 9 10988 14 Aug 2011