Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

10 days in Malaysia

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I'll be using KL as a hub in order to get home after 3 months [2 in china, 1 in Laos]. I was considering staying for around 10-12 days before flying home. I would prefer to keep travel to a minimum and 'chill' in just a few places. I was considering spending some time in KL before getting the train (?) up to Penang/George town/surrounds before heading back to KL then home!

I would appreciate any input
    Thanks again

#1 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 03:57

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Chistay

Penang isn't necessarily what I'd call a 'chill' place: it's just too commercial and urban to be lumped into that basket. But, it gives a great overview of Nonya.

If you want to 'chill', and without a lot of travel, then either Bukit Fraser (1st choice) or Melaka (2nd choice): or maybe both.

Further away is Cherating, perhaps followed by Palau Tioman (you'd fly there).

A place that's off the radar for westerners, but still interesting and very laid back is Muar.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 05:17

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I was going to say the same thing about Penang...what's your definition of "chilling" Christay?

I'm not sure when you'll be there (weather) but if it were me, I'd be more thinking in terms of a hammock on a beach like this after Laos and China.

http://www.langtengah.com.my/

And before you object saying 10 days is way too short a time to do this Bruce... Air Asia flies to Kuala Terengganu, 50 minute flight from KL.

Not the faintest clue about buses though, as I've never been there. ;-)

#3 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 05:50

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

Why would I react to a suggestion to go to the east coast? Did you not notice I wrote Further away is Cherating, perhaps followed by Palau Tioman (you'd fly there)?

Cheers

#4 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 06:39

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Actually I did, but you usually react anyway. ;-)

Is Tioman nicer than Langtengah BTW? I haven't been to either island.

#5 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 06:51

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

Probably not in that it is more touristy and 'patronised'. Both are organised as 'package tour' destinations, with all that that means.

One of things in tourism that needs to be factored in is the my country is selling its wares, we don't make comparisons to what's on offer elsewhere aspect.

There is no doubt in my mind that in the high season, the Malaysian east coast islands are great. But, are they as good as destinations elsewhere in SE Asia?

On the basis of just the scene - eg. people, tourism, upmarket/mid market accommodation, restaurants, etc. - probably yes some islands are very good.

But, if you want to factor in a level of remoteness, romantic-ness (not over a candle lit dinner type), swim/snorkle/reef options, then I think there are better options for the person travelling half way round the world.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 08:29

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I think the problem was what i meant by 'to chill' - as it will probably change from person to person. I don't really need a rural setting to chill or a beach but thats not to say i don't want either of these! I am quite 'chilled' generally. A busy urban centre would be fine if i could find a nice street to while away the hours over a coffee. As Malaysia is the last, and shortest leg, of my trip i just felt i'd prefer just to see two or three places and make sure i spend the bulk of my short time there in those places rather than in transit between them. The attraction to Georgetown was mostly because it was on a Rick Stein programme [UK TV chef] i just watched; it looked very interesting. The diverse cultural mix and the food also. The travelfish description makes it seem appealing too.

I'll have a look into your suggestions guys and again they are much appreciated. I am not overly keen on the idea of heading over to the east coast though or taking an internal flight :-)

If it makes any difference i'll be in Malaysia around the first 2 weeks of December

Thanks again
    I'll have a look around and post again
    Chris

#7 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 03:44

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Chris

I repeat...

If you want to 'chill', and without a lot of travel, then either Bukit Fraser (1st choice) or Melaka (2nd choice): or maybe both.

The former really is relaxed; and possibly more than anywhere else in SE ASia, it gives an amazing insight into how the Brits undertook 'relaxation' during the colonial era. And, the walks around the town are delightful (either streetscape or through jungle-clad paths/streets). As an aside, Japanese come here to photograph butterflies - they consider it 'up there with the best'.

IMHO, Melaka is way better as a tourist destination than Penang . Sure, Penang has beaches (which Melaka hasn't), but it is far more Malaysian-ised than Melaka.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 06:50

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Well from what you say, I think that Penang will suit you fine Chris. Good food and also plenty of cafes to sit and people watch.

December is no good weatherwise for the east coast islands mentioned anyway and there are a couple of pretty decent beaches in the national park. Getting to them involves an hour or two (easy) jungle trekking to but you might fancy doing that kind of thing for a change anyway. The beaches at Batu Ferringhi totally suck IMO ... big package tourist type hotels, tacky tourist trinket stalls and also open drains with raw sewage going straight into the sea there last time I looked.

There are also other things to do which are in all the guides...the funicular railway up the hill, the botanical gardens (watch out for the vicious wee monkeys on the smaller trails there), the butterfly farm etc etc.

In other words Penang is an OK place to spend a few days, especially if you've never been there before.

Not sure why Bruce objects to Penang being Malaysian-ised (seeing as it's in Malaysia) and there's still plenty of interesting Chinese and colonial architecture there, not to mention Little India!

#9 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 15:42

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS I just found a few old pictures of Penang and uploaded them onto Flickr if you want to take a look Chris. I must have some others somewhere but my photos are not exactly well ordered on my computer so god know where they are!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/sets/72157621845548869/

Forgot to mention transport from KL. Haven't done the train but the bus is easy, comfortable and also faster (approximately 5 hours). Loads of em going, just show up and get on. There's a new long distance bus terminal a bit out of Georgetown now which is a pain. Taxis want 20 ringgit to take you into town and you may have to wait a while for any cheaper local transport. Some of the long distance buses still actually go to Georgetown though so try and opt for one of those if you can. If not, you should be able to hook up with some other passengers and share a taxi into town easily enough.

Chulia Street and around is the main backpackers hub. I usually stay at a newish place on Love Lane but that street has a rather dodgy reputation (I've heard of people being mugged) so be careful at night around there... some rather scary big Indian ladyboys with hairy legs and designer stubble hang out on the corner of Love Lane and Chulia Street.

Here's some more info about buses for you.

http://www.journeymalaysia.com/ptapenang.htm

#10 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 18:12

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

Not sure why Bruce objects to Penang being Malaysian-ised (seeing as it's in Malaysia) and there's still plenty of interesting Chinese and colonial architecture there, not to mention Little India!

KL is Malaysian, Melaka is Nonya. Penang is ascribed as Nonya, but is malaysian-ised. 'Little India' is better at KL.

I wasn't 'objecting' to Penang. I like it. I was answering a point of view based on my experience of what constitutes a good chill place.

From Chris's past Travelfish interactions, he will take all that is said into account, and after wandering through China, Loas, etc., he'll just as likely get to KL and go to sleep for a few days before returning home. Who knows.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 18:59

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice again

I think its clearly a choice between heading north from KL or south!

Bruce, when i first read "...he'll just as likely get to KL and go to sleep for a few days before returning home" i thought you were insulting me at first haha but after re-reading i presume you're getting at the pretty long journey i'll be heading on in three weeks!

I haven't been able to find a site that can rival this one but for malaysia unfortunately. I know there are a few listed on this forum...i might have to go have a quick flick through lonely planet in Borders

SBE - invaluable travel information there. Good to know the trip between KL > Butterworth/Georgetown is a fairly easy one. Also, great pictures too. Shame you don't have one of the big Indian ladyboys though!!

Cheers
    Chris

#12 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 23:04

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Chris

You may not have seen the GH accommodation options posted here.

Just in case.

Cheers

#13 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 07:04

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I think i'm just going to try and find out how to get to Penang in the North and Melaka etc toward the South then decide on a whim when i get there! Thanks for the help though, its good to know both options are 'good'.

Am i right in thinking Malaysia offers a free 30 day visa for UK citizens? or at least some kind of exemption

Could do with adding a Malaysia section to the Visa and border page [sorry if there is; i couldn't see it!]

Chris

#14 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 19:25

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Chris

30 days, a rubber postage sized stamp, a piece of paper to carry till you leave (but doesn't matter if you lose) and that it.

Cheers

#15 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 19:27

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Maybe Aussies get less than UK citizens because it says 90 days on the stamps in my (UK) passport.

In any case it's free Chris, no worries! :-)

#16 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 04:07

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

change of plan, i think i'll be in Malaysia for three weeks now...soooo it looks like i could take up both of your suggestions! i'll have to have a futher scout around this site and others...see what else awaits me in Malaysia

Chris

#17 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 17:52

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Ah ha! Three weeks eh? It were me I'd be tempted to go and check out Borneo then. I've never been there but when I was a wee girl I read Somerset Maughan books and dreamed of going to Sarawak and hanging out on a rubber plantation drinking G&Ts when I grew up.

Air Asia flies to places like Kuching ... why stick to peninsula Malaysia?

#18 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 21:08

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Chris

I don't know when you'll be in the area. But, if 3 weeks, you could take in some of those wonderful reef locations in Indonesia (that have hooked SBE).

The area between the island of Seram (capital Ambon) and the Doberai peninsula of Irian Jaya (west Papua) is apparently considered to be the epicentre of the Pacific basin coral reef 'area/zone'.

Cheers

#19 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 18:39

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Unless you are extraordinarily:lucky with the logistics, there's no way you can get to the Bandas and back to Ambon again in just three weeks Bruce!

Seeing as he'll have a free visa for Malaysia and will only have 3 weeks, he might as well see a bit more of that country, don't you think? Sure he could fly to Ambon without too much difficulty but what would be the point? I didn't think the town or the island was that much of a "must see" myself and it doesn't fit Chris's wish list at all. (Nor do the Bandas come to that)

BTW Chris, one of Somerset Maughan's more famous stories was called "Rain" ... I checked the weather statistics for Sarawak after my last post and I think he may have written it in December in Kuching ... sorry about that!

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/statistics/C04404/my130000

#20 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 20:15

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

God forbid, by the way some ppl posting on TF appear to want to travel one could go anywhere / everywhere in 3 weeks.

My earlier quip about wanting to doze off may still be relevant. If Chris wants to be laid back here after his China south >> journey, there are many opportunities.

But, given wet/dry issue - is early December still the schedule? If so, it's going to be wet no matter where one goes. Maybe Melbourne or Perth? AirAsia do those two places from KL!

Cheers

#21 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 08:22

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

Hold on there a second Mr. Moon, Melaka *does* have beaches:

http://www.travelfish.org/location/malaysia/southern_peninsular_malaysia/melaka/beaches_and_islands_of_melaka

They were even a bit nicer than I expected.

#22 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 12:37

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Which was your favourite beach there idreamofdurian?

BTW, what's Langkawi like? Chris could hop over there from Penang on the morning ferry for a few days beach chilling and people watching easily enough too.

There are even snorkelling trips from Penang. The tourist office there has all the details. I didn't try any off them out (bit too pricey for me) but they are there as an option if you want.

#23 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:07

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

idreamofdurian they don't really sound all that nice, was it just your expectations were abysmally low?

#24 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:22

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

idreamofdurian

I don't want to sound negative, but if mud and rocks denotes a beach, then yes Melaka has beaches. For me, Pulau Besar is where a beach may be found. But that aint Melaka. I made 'that' connection here a while ago.

I wrote a contribution to the Melaka destination just after it appeared. Sadly, Stuart he has refused to print my contribution.

SBE

I get the feeling that Langkawi isn't Chris's sort of destination. I suggest you'd be repelled, and I know its not my scene. After a wander though China & SE Asia, I doubt that watching house-bound city dwellers on their annual outing looking fascinated at the concrete jungle on the waters' edge while in the midst of the wet season may not really appeal.

And, given that mid-December is the height of the wet season, any snorkelling options may turn out to be merely a swim in a cloud of muck.

Cheers

#25 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 18:29

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"given that mid-December is the height of the wet season, any snorkelling options may turn out to be merely a swim in a cloud of muck."

Huh???? Now you aren't making any sense at all!

1. The weather has always been good on Penang when I've been there in December. I just double-checked in case I'd just been very lucky. Nope. Low and behold, December is statistically one of the driest months in Penang...according to this site anyway.

http://asiaforvisitors.com/malaysia/peninsula/penang/weather.html

2. Langkawi is very near the Tarutao archipelago in Thailand ...in fact I think I remember seeing it when I was on the ferry to Ko Lipe . At that time of year it's dry season on Ko Lipe so Langkawi should have very similar conditions. ie clear water and good weather.

However, if you think it's going to be washed out with murky visibility in December then I'm not at all sure that your description of Langkawi as a "concrete jungle" is going to be accurate either.

The reason I suggested Langkawi was because I saw TF recommends going there rather than the beaches around Melaka.

"If you're after a Malaysian beach holiday, you're better off travelling to the east coast or Langkawi."

Why would they say that if Langkawi was a hideous concrete jungle? Although I knew the weather should be OK, I do have a rather "package-touristy" image of the island. I've also seen lots of tourists going there from Penang. Nevertheless, in view of that recommendation in the TF article, I was interested to hear what people who had actually been there think.

So, have you actually been to Langkawi Bruce? If so when, and what was the weather like? Are any particular beaches better than others or is it all concreted over?

Or were your very negative comments about the place all based on hearsay and supposition?

If you don't know something then why say anything? So far you've given Chris wrong information about Malaysian visas, suggested he go to a destination that's logistically impossible and given very misleading information about the weather in Penang and Langkawi.

How can newbies like Chis differentiate between your guesswork and things you DO know for sure?

#26 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 22:05

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

Christay: Other places near KL that you might want to consider chilling at are the Cameron Highlands (forest walks, tea plantations) or Taman Negara (national park - trekking in the jungle, possible tapir sightings). If you have the time, definitely consider going to Borneo. Kuching is a great town (Sarawak State) and there's loads to do around Kota Kinabalu (Sabah State).

Bruce: Functionally, Pulau Besar is Melaka . It's not Nyonya, it's just a pretty little island less than an hour away from the city with nice beaches and very few tourists.

I wrote the Melaka section and am interested in what your contribution was. You can email it to me if you still have it(tprocyshyn at gmail)

#27 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 00:08

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

"your guesswork"

By your own admission, you have not been to Langkawi.

I've been to both Penang and Langkawi. On one occasion, I visited both in November. It was as wet as...

I live by a beach, I know how long it takes for water turbidity to diminish. Clearly, this point you overlook.

If you want to get into a slanging match to bolster your own ego, sobeit. Please don't use me as your whipping boy.

[size=14:(

#28 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 05:25

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Bruce I find the idea of using you as my whipping boy perfectly repulsive so you can forget that idea straight away. Also it is not my fault that you are very sad about being size 14 (is that inches or cm BTW). If it's wishy washy (ego?) stroking you want there are other forums!

Regarding the probable weather on Ko Langkawi next December.

Chris, you will be glad to hear that, according to the Malaysian meteorological office, Langkawai was the driest place in the whole of Malaysia in December last year.

Here is the link ... there are a couple of links to weather maps showing what the rainfall pattern is over the whole of the country (both Borneo and Peninsula Malaysia) at the bottom of the page if you're interested.

http://www.met.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=839&Itemid=1586

Anyway, I reckon there's a good chance you'll be able to get a nice tan and a bit of sitting in bars people watching if you pop over to Langkawi before you go home whatever Mr Moon says. Maybe the monsoon was late finishing the year he went. He didn't say whether it was early or late November or how long he was there for so he could just have been unlucky.

Here is a picture showing how murky the water at Ko Adang was in early November 2004.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/527572476/in/set-72157600303486647/

Of course the sea around Langkawi may be totally different as it's about 30 miles away ... it could be absolutely full of mud and concrete for all I know.

Bruce didn't mention whether the whole of Langkawi is actually a concrete jungle or not but this site came up when I was looking for the weather stats just now and bits of it don't look TOO bad to me.

http://www.langkawi-nature.com/

#29 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 15:04

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

i apologise for not replying sooner, i've been working non-stop the past few days. Big information overload coming back to this thread! i'll have to catch a catch up and make a 'real' reply very soon

Thanks again

#30 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 22:23

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Chris

You began this post with...

"I'll be using KL as a hub in order to get home after 3 months [2 in china, 1 in Laos]. I was considering staying for around 10-12 days before flying home. I would prefer to keep travel to a minimum and 'chill' in just a few places..

Later, you added:

"change of plan, i think i'll be in Malaysia for three weeks now".

To me, this may mean you could choose to change focus. For example, you could choose to take a more active approach to Malaysian sighseeing, or...

That you'll now have 3 weeks, does this mean less time elsewhere? Or that your departure date has now changed?

And, if the latter, does it also mean that you may now choose to spend more time in China/Laos? - or at least give yourself the option?

Why all the questions?

I got to thinking that initially you were looking to chill, but after 3 months on the road, would you now want to chill for 3 weeks?

Perhaps there are two outcomes, fashion plans that:

1/. allows for chill should you end up with just a week or so, or

2/. allows for a more active sojourn in Malaysia, should you finish up with several weeks.

Alternatively, if at the end of Laos, you have several weeks, you could choose to add an additional place. For example, visit Angkor for a week. Or, go to an island in southern Thailand for RnR!

- - -

I don't want to get into a slanging match with SBE (tho she seems hellbent on it), but December is a wet month in Malaysia. The Travelfish 'blurb' on weather states:

"Malaysia's weather is pretty hot and humid year round -- the hottest months being March, April and October. Malaysia is affected by two monsoon seasons -- the northeast monsoon and the southwest monsoons. The former brings most of the rain with the west coast wettest between September and December, the east coast from October to February and Malaysian Borneo between November and February."

This means that for peninsular Malaysia, you will have to factor in the place being wet in December. And, if you are into snorkelling/diving, the seasonal wet season river run-off will affect water quality.

But, having said that, one can still find things to enjoy even in the wet season: the wet season merely makes for different planning challenges.

ps. interesting that on another TF thread I'm criticised for using the 'net as a tool to find ideas to assist people, but here the 'net is used to criticise me. Oh, well....

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#31 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 06:10

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ahhhh that's my mistake sorry. The par quoted by Bruce should have read:

"The former brings most of the rain with the west coast wettest between September and October,..."

Not

"The former brings most of the rain with the west coast wettest between September and December,..."

So, sorry about that - mistakes happen. But what is also worth bearing in mind is that the monsoons do not always sun as clockwork -- as evidenced by Bruce's experience of a wet malaysia, when it should have been dry -- weather huh -- crazy stuff.

As an aside, this is especially the case with the transitional months -- I did a week long yachting trip off Phuket one year -- in November -- should have been dry every day, instead it rained every ... single ... day ... yes, it was **** on water.

Anyway, hope that helps clear up the tooing and frooing over the weather -- the error has been fixed on the page BM quoted from.

#32 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 18:10

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Stuart

May I venture that Travelfish is was not alone when indicating December forms part of the monsoon season on the west coast of Malaysia.

I googled the subject and learnt that while the "intermonsoon" season diminishes in intensity in December, the "coastal areas of the west coast states, from Southern Perak to Western Johor will experience thunderstorms, heavy rain and strong gusting winds in the predawn through morning brought about by the development of squall lines, called “Sumatras”, over the straits of Malacca".

You learn something every day.

Cheers

#33 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 18:47

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yeah makes sense -- as I said, the transitional periods can be, well, transitional!

#34 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 18:50

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I've been to Penang many times. It didn't rain either time I was there in early September. It has has rained when I've been there in late September and October but it didn't by any means rain the whole time. It has never rained when I've been there in December. In March it was bloody hot there.

How many days were you on Langkawi Bruce? I does sometimes rain non stop for a few days but it's rather rare.

#35 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 19:48

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE, I was there for 3 days.

As indicated above, the rainy season can be sunny and the dry season wet.

One of the 'things' about Langkawi is that for Malaysians (especially) it is (1) a duty free destination, and (2) a casino destination. It is these two attributes that have allowed developers to have a field day.

Cheers

#36 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 20:04

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

There's El Nino this year too...

Poor Chris must be totally confused by now. Just decide what you feel like doing when you get there my dear!!! ;-)

Bruce, did you go to any of the beaches apart from the most touristy one, Cenang? That website I linked mentions several others. Just wondering in case I have a few days to kill next time I'm in Penang . There are a couple of decent beaches on Penang but getting to them involves a long bus ride followed by a stroll in the jungle for an hour or two.

#37 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 20:20

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

Please, this may be an El Nino year. ENSO data starts coming in in August. It's still too early to be certain (tho early signals DO suggest same).

- - -

I know what you mean about Penang beaches. Those to the north are OK, but 'overexposed' to car traffic (and resorts). Perhaps the nicer area is around Acheh, but it needs a car to get to the good beaches there.

- - -

As far as Langkawi is concerned, I found most beach locations to be smothered by tourist accommodation/s, and the tourist 'entertainment' crap that goes along with that; jetski's, touts, etc., etc..

I understand that some of the nice little beaches have been privatised to resorts. There are a couple of beaches on the island that are less 'touristy'; these being Tengah (and maybe the better) Tanjung Rhu (probably because it's more off the beaten tourist trail). But, while these are both OK, they're still a tourist 'destination'.

I didn't go, but they told me the beaches on the southern islands are nice. But, getting on a day trip boat to see beaches doesn't exactly excite me.

Cheers

#38 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 07:29

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

sorry, stuffed up the BB code...

Edit function would be oh, so, helpful...please....

- - -

Re: El Nini, please, this may be an El Nino year. ENSO data starts coming in in August. It's still too early to be certain (tho early signals DO suggest same).

- - -

I know what you mean about Penang beaches. Those to the north are OK, but 'overexposed' to car traffic (and resorts). Perhaps the nicer area is around Acheh, but it needs a car to get to the good beaches there.

- - -

As far as Langkawi is concerned, I found most beach locations to be smothered by tourist accommodation/s, and the tourist 'entertainment' crap that goes along with that; jetski's, touts, etc., etc..

I understand that some of the nice little beaches have been privatised to resorts. There are a couple of beaches on the island that are less 'touristy'; these being Tengah (and maybe the better) Tanjung Rhu (probably because it's more off the beaten tourist trail). But, while these are both OK, they're still a tourist 'destination'.

I didn't go, but they told me the beaches on the southern islands are nice. But, getting on a day trip boat to see beaches doesn't exactly excite me.

Cheers

#39 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 07:31

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"I know what you mean about Penang beaches. Those to the north are OK, but 'overexposed' to car traffic (and resorts). Perhaps the nicer area is around Acheh, but it needs a car to get to the good beaches there."

Hmm.I don't think those ARE the beaches I was talking about on Penang! It takes an hour or two to walk to the ones I mentioned from the nearest road. They were clean and pretty unspoilt last time I looked ... no resorts at all.

I was asking about the beaches on Langkawi just in case there were any reasonably clean ones for swimming there that didn't require quite such a hike to get to.

PS Bruce... I think I'd be able to understand all your posts perfectly well without any BB code whatsoever! It reads like you're shouting all the time...is it really necessary to use BB code quite so lavishly?

#40 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 09:28

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

"Hmm.I don't think those ARE the beaches I was talking about on Penang ! It takes an hour or two to walk to the ones I mentioned from the nearest road. They were clean and pretty unspoilt last time I looked ... no resorts at all.

It'd be helpful if you directed me to your 'unspoilt' beach on Penang: as if you were giving me directions.

A couple of pics of the beaches I was referring to on Penang are here (with my better half).

Cheers

#41 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 11:49

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

idreamofdurian - thanks for the tips, it seems Taman Negara is a fairly big topic on the boards so it would probably
    be worth a look! Borneo interests me but i'm not sure another flight does, it would depend on how easy/cheap.
    If not, perhaps going round the 'mainland' would be a better option

Bruce/SBE - you are right, there has been a slight change of focus. I guess i would like a more 'active' approach but
    maybe somewhere inbetween?! I guess i'm now on board for some more sight seeing

Three weeks is purely financial; China is still 2 Visa's worth [probably around 52 days]
    and Laos is still 1 month. My budget is a little bigger than i thought so i decided i'd like to extend my stay in
    Malaysia and see/do more of it. I could spend more time in China/Laos but as far as China goes, i have read a third
    Visa extension can be troublesome. Additionally, i may end up stayin in Laos for 3-5 extra days purely depending
    on which flight to KL i can get [i've yet to book that connecting flight or my return flight].

As far as the weather debate goes; i'm fine with wet or dry. Snorkeling could be cool but then again i'm not a massive fan of beaches so if the the weather doesn't permit it then i won't lose sleep.

I'll probably head north of KL up to Penang and surrounds, maybe check out some of the main suggestsions from this forum [Teman Negara, for instance] before heading back down to KL, perhaps onto Melaka before heading home. This idea is purely off the top of my head; fresh thoughts straight to the page

Chris

#42 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 15:56

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Bruce you get a bus north to the end of the line. Then you get out and go and sign in at the national park HQ. They insist on this as they seem to be afraid you'll get lost and never be found again in the jungle....I got turned back by officials after a km or so the first time I tried to go because I hadn't signed in.

After signing in you walk along a path until you come to a fork in the track. Going either direction will bring you to a beach after an hour or two. I think it says longer on the sign at the fork but they must have been dawdling a bit when they did the test run.

I can't find any pics on my computer ... maybe they're on a CD or something but it's highly likely I didn't take my camera anyway as I wouldn't have wanted to leave it unattended on the beach while I was swimming.

Have you got any pics of the beaches you went to in Langkawi BTW?

#43 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 16:10

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

Pics of Langkawi? Sadly, rain and a camera don't work well together.

Penang , was that Penang NP (and Muka headland) beyond T. Bahang?

Cheers

#44 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 18:17

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yes, TF has a write up about it here.

http://www.travelfish.org/sights/malaysia/northern_peninsular_malaysia/penang/penang

Just found a pic taken last October (ie at the height of the rainy season) ;-) of a nice looking beach on Langkawi called Pasir Tengkorak when I was looking for the link to the NP ... presume you didn't go there? Water doesn't look crystal clear but it seems swimmable enough to me. Can't see any casinos!

http://www.travelfish.org/browse-photo-gallery/malaysia/0/0/0/73298886@N00/malaysia/3485740496

#45 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 19:10

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

#46 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 19:12

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

I couldn't remember Pantai Tengkorak, so looked up on the net. I now know why I couldn't remember - it was p***g down when in that area, and so stayed in the car.

Given that Tengkorak is a public beach (go look at a youtube here and some more pics here ) I get the feeling you will be heading there pretty soon.

And, if you want a resort, nearby Pantai Kok appears to offer plenty (see here but note the accommodation & road are excluded from the pics).

Cheers

#47 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 08:24

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"I get the feeling you will be heading there pretty soon".

Nah it isn't worth going there specially I don't think. However next time I happen to be in Penang I might well nip over and take a look round.

Haven't done so before because of my pre-conceptions about the place ... I imagined it would be full of crowded beaches, concrete hotels, jet-skis, casinos and shopping malls etc.

I should have known better than to rely on preconceptions. I've yet to go ANYWHERE that's been exactly as I imagined it would be!

#48 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 15:57

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

Yep, I know what you mean, preconceptions can play marbles with the imagination.

But what's worse is when one tries to present an image to another and they don't want to hear coz of preconceptions.

Bloody tourism industry, why do they push their fancy photo's, why not show it like it is: warts n all!

Oh, well... Cheers

#49 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 06:25

• williamducl-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2010

What would be the minimum no. of days to spend in malaysia if your budget is tight and you want to have most of things.

#50 Posted: 23/11/2010 - 17:18

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

It depends on lots of things like your stay, travel around malaysia and if you wanna buy anything.

#51 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 20:18

• williamducl-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2010

The stay should be calm, clean and safe that is all i want. I am not into buying stuffs.

#52 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 22:45

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

Well then you just estimate a little higher than the average wage there.

#53 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 21:52

• williamducl-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2010

It's just will be less than your monthly expenditure.

#54 Posted: 1/12/2010 - 21:12

• urleandy

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

I normally drive, but sometimes I take the public transport. SometimesI take the express buses, but normally I would take the transit trainbetween KL sentral and Batu Gajah, which is about 15 km from my office.

#55 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 13:24

• Lovebug56

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2011

I would certainly agree with BruceMoon's first choice.
    Bukit Fraser is an interesting place. Fraser's Hill is a quiet hideaway from the bustling city life. The fresh mountain air is cool and the picturesque surroundings will evoke memories of the colonial era. As such, it is not surprising that Frazers Hill has become a popular venue for company retreats and weekends.

Enjoy your stay...

#56 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 10:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.