Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

12 hours in KL

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

Hi everyone,

I have a 12 hour stopover in KL (flying in Air Asia and out Air Asia to Saigon) and was wondering whether it is worth it for me to go into KL for a few hours? I know I will be flying into the LCC terminal. How long does it take to catch a bus etc into KL? Cost?
    I just didn't want to hang around the airport for 12 hours.. Any ideas??

#1 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 07:02

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

mac

After leaving customs, etc., there is a bus that heads into town every 1/4 hour (or so).

The bus costs 9 MYR (only payable in MYR) and takes about 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

It drops you at KL Sentral, the main commuter station.

From KL Sentral, its one stop to Chinatown, and several to KL Towers, etc., etc.

In the centre of the KL Sentral 'concourse' area, there is an information booth that can provide you with a handy map showing icons, rail routes (including monorail), and major attractions.

Be warned that to be ready for your departure at KLLC, you'll need to leave KL Sentral no less than three 3 hours before the scheduled departure.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 07:59

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

Bruce,

Thanks for the prompt reply.. Sounds great as all I really want to do is go into town for a Laksa!! I'm hoping to be able to either check our bags in early (not likely I know!) or put them in a locker at the airport so we don't have to carry them around.

Cheers.

#3 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 08:34

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

ac

I wouldn't have a clue where you'll find a Laksa. The back end of Chinatown area maybe, but the rest of KL is Muslim/western.

I can't recall there being lockers. But, doesn't mean there aren't any.

Try, especially, the corridor leading away from the food area on the domestic terminal.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 08:47

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

I have found there ARE luggage lockers and luggage storage at KL airport FYI...

Cheers

#5 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 12:54

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

mac

For the benefit of others, can you describe where they are, and how much is charged.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 13:00

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

I cannot verify the accuracy of the information/prices but I did some research on the internet and found the following:

There are lockers large and small on Level 3 (arrivals) and level 5 (departures) but you have to pay in Ringits.

From KLIA website:
    LUGGAGE STORAGE FACILITIES
    (Operated by Talasco Dagang Sdn Bhd)

If you wish to leave items at the airport, there are two (2) luggage storage counters at the Main Terminal Building:

i) Departure Hall, Level 5
    ii) Arrival Hall, Level 3

Charges:

SIZE CHARGES
    per locker / per item / per day
    SMALL
    40 cm x 32 cm x 75 cm
    RM 10.00
    MEDIUM
    55 cm x 43 cm x 75 cm
    RM 20.00
    LARGE
    135 cm x 32 cm x 43 cm
    RM 30.00
    EXTRA LARGE
    Up to 2 cubic meters
    RM 40.00

Operating Hours:
    24 hours, daily

Also available:
    KLIA Compusafe Locker at Satellite Building
    RM 5.00 for every 2 hours, per locker

For more information, please contact:
    Tel: +603-8787 4211 / +603-8776 5035

I hope this helps...

#7 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 05:19

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

mac

There are two airports at Kuala Lumpur:

KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport), and

LCCT (Kuala Lumpur Low Cost Carrier Terminal).

Air Asia uses LCCT, it is quite a way from KLIA (still using the same runway). Check here.

As I said above, I can't recall any lockers. But, then I never have anything more than carry on so never go looking.

There is a shuttle bus from LCCT to KLIA - 50sen. There is also a train that departs KLIA straight into KL Sentral (look here here).

So, maybe your best bet is to take your gear to KLIA, store it, take the train to KL Sentral, change to a KL Kommuter (different platform) Pasar Seni (for Chinatown) which is on the Putra line.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 05:43

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

Thanks Bruce.

Sounds like a plan. I think I will head to the KLIA from the LCCT, store my bags and catch the train into town for a couple of hours and then make my way back

Thanks for your assistance.

#9 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 05:46

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Mac, not sure if it's too late to reply to your question. I find this statement by Bruce not true:

"I wouldn't have a clue where you'll find a Laksa. The back end of Chinatown area maybe, but the rest of KL is Muslim/western."

Most parts of KL are Chinese, with some newer (and further) areas Malay/Muslim. You can find Chinese food everywhere in KL, and also Indian, Malay, and western food are not difficult to find too, they all co-exist well here - I'll consider KL the Asian food heaven.

Based on your unfortunately short stay, I think Chinatown (though I strongly dislike this name, as practically the whole KL is Chinatown) is your best bet to eat your Laksa (btw, there are three kinds of Laksa in Malaysia that I know of: The Penang Laksa, the KL Laksa, and the Malay Laksa). Petaling St. (Chinatown) most probably only have both the former ones. For the Malay version, Pasar Seni should be the place to find.

Also, you didn't specify the time of day that you will be there. 12 hours is just too short :-)

#10 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 22:58

• Advertisement

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

Chopin,

Not too late! I don't leave for another month so any advice is good. I wish I was there longer than 12 hours but it is pretty much a stopover so I thought I'd head into town for some of this wonderful food I have heard so much about.

Thanks for your advice. (I am there from about 0800 to 1600.)

Thanks again.

#11 Posted: 24/11/2009 - 04:16

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

From my friend who recently went to KL.

The LCCT airport has secure luggage storage available right near where you catch the buses into KL. So very convenient!

That answers my questions anyway..

#12 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 06:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.