Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

12 hours in KL

Posted by Fattymac on 10/8/2009 at 07:02

Hi everyone,

I have a 12 hour stopover in KL (flying in Air Asia and out Air Asia to Saigon) and was wondering whether it is worth it for me to go into KL for a few hours? I know I will be flying into the LCC terminal. How long does it take to catch a bus etc into KL? Cost?
I just didn't want to hang around the airport for 12 hours.. Any ideas??

#1 Fattymac has been a member since 10/7/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by BruceMoon on 10/8/2009 at 07:59

mac

After leaving customs, etc., there is a bus that heads into town every 1/4 hour (or so).

The bus costs 9 MYR (only payable in MYR) and takes about 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

It drops you at KL Sentral, the main commuter station.

From KL Sentral, its one stop to Chinatown, and several to KL Towers, etc., etc.

In the centre of the KL Sentral 'concourse' area, there is an information booth that can provide you with a handy map showing icons, rail routes (including monorail), and major attractions.

Be warned that to be ready for your departure at KLLC, you'll need to leave KL Sentral no less than three 3 hours before the scheduled departure.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Fattymac on 10/8/2009 at 08:34

Bruce,

Thanks for the prompt reply.. Sounds great as all I really want to do is go into town for a Laksa!! I'm hoping to be able to either check our bags in early (not likely I know!) or put them in a locker at the airport so we don't have to carry them around.

Cheers.

#3 Fattymac has been a member since 10/7/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by BruceMoon on 10/8/2009 at 08:47

ac

I wouldn't have a clue where you'll find a Laksa. The back end of Chinatown area maybe, but the rest of KL is Muslim/western.

I can't recall there being lockers. But, doesn't mean there aren't any.

Try, especially, the corridor leading away from the food area on the domestic terminal.

Cheers

#4 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Fattymac on 10/8/2009 at 12:54

I have found there ARE luggage lockers and luggage storage at KL airport FYI...

Cheers

#5 Fattymac has been a member since 10/7/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by BruceMoon on 10/8/2009 at 13:00

mac

For the benefit of others, can you describe where they are, and how much is charged.

Cheers

#6 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Fattymac on 11/8/2009 at 05:19

I cannot verify the accuracy of the information/prices but I did some research on the internet and found the following:

There are lockers large and small on Level 3 (arrivals) and level 5 (departures) but you have to pay in Ringits.

From KLIA website:
LUGGAGE STORAGE FACILITIES
(Operated by Talasco Dagang Sdn Bhd)

If you wish to leave items at the airport, there are two (2) luggage storage counters at the Main Terminal Building:

i) Departure Hall, Level 5
ii) Arrival Hall, Level 3

Charges:

SIZE CHARGES
per locker / per item / per day
SMALL
40 cm x 32 cm x 75 cm
RM 10.00
MEDIUM
55 cm x 43 cm x 75 cm
RM 20.00
LARGE
135 cm x 32 cm x 43 cm
RM 30.00
EXTRA LARGE
Up to 2 cubic meters
RM 40.00

Operating Hours:
24 hours, daily

Also available:
KLIA Compusafe Locker at Satellite Building
RM 5.00 for every 2 hours, per locker

For more information, please contact:
Tel: +603-8787 4211 / +603-8776 5035

I hope this helps...

#7 Fattymac has been a member since 10/7/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by BruceMoon on 11/8/2009 at 05:43

mac

There are two airports at Kuala Lumpur:

KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport), and

LCCT (Kuala Lumpur Low Cost Carrier Terminal).

Air Asia uses LCCT, it is quite a way from KLIA (still using the same runway). Check here.

As I said above, I can't recall any lockers. But, then I never have anything more than carry on so never go looking.

There is a shuttle bus from LCCT to KLIA - 50sen. There is also a train that departs KLIA straight into KL Sentral (look here here).

So, maybe your best bet is to take your gear to KLIA, store it, take the train to KL Sentral, change to a KL Kommuter (different platform) Pasar Seni (for Chinatown) which is on the Putra line.

Cheers

#8 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Fattymac on 11/8/2009 at 05:46

Thanks Bruce.

Sounds like a plan. I think I will head to the KLIA from the LCCT, store my bags and catch the train into town for a couple of hours and then make my way back

Thanks for your assistance.

#9 Fattymac has been a member since 10/7/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by chopin on 23/11/2009 at 22:58

Hi Mac, not sure if it's too late to reply to your question. I find this statement by Bruce not true:

"I wouldn't have a clue where you'll find a Laksa. The back end of Chinatown area maybe, but the rest of KL is Muslim/western."

Most parts of KL are Chinese, with some newer (and further) areas Malay/Muslim. You can find Chinese food everywhere in KL, and also Indian, Malay, and western food are not difficult to find too, they all co-exist well here - I'll consider KL the Asian food heaven.

Based on your unfortunately short stay, I think Chinatown (though I strongly dislike this name, as practically the whole KL is Chinatown) is your best bet to eat your Laksa (btw, there are three kinds of Laksa in Malaysia that I know of: The Penang Laksa, the KL Laksa, and the Malay Laksa). Petaling St. (Chinatown) most probably only have both the former ones. For the Malay version, Pasar Seni should be the place to find.

Also, you didn't specify the time of day that you will be there. 12 hours is just too short :-)

#10 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154

Posted by Fattymac on 24/11/2009 at 04:16

Chopin,

Not too late! I don't leave for another month so any advice is good. I wish I was there longer than 12 hours but it is pretty much a stopover so I thought I'd head into town for some of this wonderful food I have heard so much about.

Thanks for your advice. (I am there from about 0800 to 1600.)

Thanks again.

#11 Fattymac has been a member since 10/7/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by Fattymac on 9/12/2009 at 06:47

From my friend who recently went to KL.

The LCCT airport has secure luggage storage available right near where you catch the buses into KL. So very convenient!

That answers my questions anyway..

#12 Fattymac has been a member since 10/7/2009. Posts: 28

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.