Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

A week’s itinerary from Kuala Lumpa to Singapore

• Beanic

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2009

I am going to be backpacking alone through Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand then travelling through Malaysia to get to Singapore where I will meet friends who live there.

A friend of mine will be flying from London to Kuala Lumpa to meet me. We will be travelling home from Singapore together a week later.

My dilemma is my friend will only be away for a week (a long way to go for a week). We want to spend at least 2 days in Singapore and possibly 1/2 days in KL.

As I am away for three months I shall be travelling on a tight budget. However I want to do something pretty nice and exciting for my friend’s sake (as she will probably spend about £700 on flights).

So I would love some suggestions of an itinerary travelling from KL to Singapore, stopping off in some lovely areas on a bit of a budget.

I like the idea of going via Teman Negara and Melaka, but can this be achieved in such a short amount of time? We will be travelling form the 16th-22nd December.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

#1 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 19:48

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Beanic

Taman Negara AND Melaka in a week, definitely not.

My suggestion...

Assuming your friend hasn't seen an Asian city, spend a couple of days in KL (as a hint, you get there a few days earlier and work out what's great/what's not).

Then, take a bus ride to Melaka for a couple of days.

At Melaka, do go on a day trip to Pulau Besar (but, leave early). Tourist boats sometimes leave Melaka (go check out a travel agent when there), but the regular ferry leaves from Anjung (a bit further south). The beaches on the island are really nice, and the voyage over is quaint. Take a picnic lunch and your swimmers.

The trip to Singapore from Melaka is sort of OK. The only place that appeals to me is Muar. But, the town isn't really focussed towards tourism.

Johore Bahru is worth a wander around, and maybe an overnight. The restaurants along the Singapore Straights are good (but not sure whether better than Singapore, just different).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 07:01

• Beanic

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2009

Thanks for the advice.

I thought I was being a little ambitious regarding Teman Negara and Melaka.

The trip above doesn't sound too hectic, so should be a great trip!

Many thanks.

#3 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 17:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
what area in Kuala Lumpa is central to see sights ... By breatheagain on 24 Feb 2013 4 899 26 Feb 2013
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur ... By nish on 24 Nov 2011 25 5397 23 Feb 2014
Singapore or Kuala Lumpur ... By konnan101 on 29 Apr 2011 3 4948 17 Jan 2012
Where to shop Kuala Lumpar or Singapore ... By erbi3285 on 25 Nov 2008 8 10135 29 May 2011