Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Sabah and Brunei - your experiences please

• perkypurple-
    pixie

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2008

For myself, and to share information on this new-ish forum, I am wondering if anyone has experiences to share regarding their travels in Sabah and Brunei.

This is in addition to the topic on Turtle Island.

I am considering Sepilok, KK, going up Mount Kinabalu, and popping over to Brunei (via Pulau Labuan).

Any info to share on travel, where to stay, what to do, what not to do etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks, you lovely informative people.

#1 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 20:24

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Brunei is pretty boring, to be honest. It wasn't at all what I expected... Unless you're collecting country stamps or traveling across Borneo there's little reason to go here.

Sepilok is OK - very, very touristy though. It's a stop on the package-tourist trail, so at the feeding times a swarm of people show up. I much preferred the orang utan sanctuary outside Kuching, Sarawak...

Kinabalu Mountain is lovely, but accommodations and climbing fees are pricey. You can read my feature about it here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/149

If you're an eco-lover where you should go is Sungai Kinabatangan. You can do multi-day trips staying at jungle lodge. Every day you go hiking and out on the river to look for wildlife (orang utans, proboscis monkeys, pygmy elephants, crocodiles, langurs, etc.). I spent about 2 months traveling across Borneo and it the highlight of the trip for me.

#2 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 13:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.