Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

1 day in Kuala Lumpur

• Manumask

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2009

Hello Travel-Fish members!

I am new at this website and new at traveling overseas to more than 1 country at once too. Until now I've got all the answers I was looking for thanks to you guys, but there is one I could not find. I am going from Hanoi or HCMC to Siem Reap via Air Asia stopping for 1 day at Kuala Lumpur because the flight from KL to SR leaves earlier than the ones from HCMC and HN. So my question is, do I have to pay for a visa and exit fee to stay only 1 night in KL?

Thanks,
    Manuel

#1 Posted: 12/9/2009 - 19:24

• Advertisement

• hokasch

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2008

Basically it depends on your home country, but if you are from the west you will get a Visa-on Arrival free of charge at the airport ("exit fee" is included in your ticket).
    You can get a bus from the airport for around 9 RM into town, the LCC terminal is not exactly central... Check what time you have to take a bus back again, and ask them for a schedule.

#2 Posted: 12/9/2009 - 21:26

• Manumask

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2009

Thanks 4 the answer! I will probably have an afternoon to spend there, gonna google the best things to do in that short time.

Thanks again!

#3 Posted: 12/9/2009 - 22:18

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I got there at 2am and had to spend four hours in a KFC. I didn't find it to be the most happening place but this China market was certainly fun!

#4 Posted: 12/9/2009 - 23:49

• dedwood

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009

I'm in the same situation - arrive at Subang airport (Firefly from Ko Samui) at noon and leave from the LCCT at noon the next day. I really want to see the Petronas towers, but thats about all I know of KL.

Any ideas for what I could do in the short time? Where to stay etc. would be much appreciated.

#5 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 07:50

• hokasch

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2008

The only fun thing I did in KL was playing paintball with some guys from the hostel. Never done it before - was good fun. Pretty cheap, too. If you get bored there and want to shoot some paintballs, drop me an email and I can give you their contact.

#6 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 14:58

• jclarkson

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2009

I had one night in KL. layover from Sydney to BKK, and saw the Towers went to a few bars etc. What I really liked about KL airport was that you can get a hotel room (charged by the hour, about 80 USD for a whole night) that is inside the international terminal. It was great because you can drop off you carry one baggage, go out for a drink or twelve and then get a cab back and wake up to a nice hot shower. However, getting that cab back can be somewhat expensive since the airport is far from city center and the trains stop fairly early. Also, if you get caught trying to sneak into the towers the guard won't believe you if you say "Sorry mate, I'm an understudy for entrapment II"

#7 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 15:04

• mitchell

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

i showed up at the towers and the sign said full today. i asked and they said i was lucky and let me go up with a group.
    very dull video to watch b4 going up and really, i thought the whole thing was boring. sorry, but not much to see and you cant get a scope of the size of the towers from nearby.
    just my opinion. i would rather spend time around the masjid area and the old british buildings there. more interesting and beautiful i think.

#8 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 15:58

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

If you have only 24 hours in KL and if you are on a shoestring budget, I think it's better for you to rest and sleep in the airport (or the budget hotel near it). Otherwise, you can take the direct train (which is NOT at the LCCT but at the nearby main KLIA - you can get there by a connecting bus) and get to KL city center in 35 minutes (cost about US$10 one-way). Then you will be spoiled for choices of accommodation: from budget backpackers to 5-star hotels, and also spoiled by the choices of food: from Malay, Indian, Chinese to international; from US$1 fare to gourmet restaurants. Trust me: KL is the Asian food heaven. Given your unfortunate short stay, i think sampling the food will be the best thing that you can enjoy there, plus a bit of sightseeing at the Twin Towers, or Little India, or China Town.

#9 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 23:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Kuala Besut to Kuala Lumpur by bus??? ... By KatMachine on 16 Jan 2012 2 4880 17 Jan 2012
Kuala Lumpur on 12 may ... By cscsky on 3 Apr 2014 0 638 3 Apr 2014
Kuala Lumpur Airport ... By tyson on 19 Oct 2011 2 2066 19 Oct 2011
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur ... By nish on 24 Nov 2011 25 5754 23 Feb 2014
Singapore or Kuala Lumpur ... By konnan101 on 29 Apr 2011 3 5130 17 Jan 2012
Kuala Lumpur's Little India ... By mashreki on 10 Mar 2012 9 2944 19 Mar 2012
Kuala lumpur to Thailand- HOW MUCH???? ... By Ingrids on 30 Oct 2009 4 8623 31 Oct 2009
Kuala Lumpur - Hat Yai - Koh Phangan ... By haikalpribadi on 23 Aug 2012 1 3219 24 Aug 2012
Kuala Lumpur - Krabi ... By mohdiqbal on 25 Oct 2011 2 2671 31 Oct 2011
Kuala Lumpur to Ko Lipe ... By globoglobo on 3 Dec 2013 0 1055 3 Dec 2013