Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Woman travelling alone in Malaysia, Indonesia

• maria_s

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 8

hi everyone,

I am leaving for a 4-month-trip to southeastasia next week, and will spend the first weeks in malaysia, then go on to indonesia.

in both countries, I will be travelling on my own. does anyone have experiences how easy or how hard that is, what I have to pay special attention to, etc?

thanks for any information.

maria

#1 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 21:41

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Maria,

I've traveled by myself in both of those countries and never had any problems. You should, of course, take the same precautions you would at home to keep yourself safe: keep an eye on your drink in bars, avoid isolated places, avoid one on on situations with people you don't know too well, etc. One thing that does occasionally happen is people on motor bikes snatching purses from unsuspecting tourist gals. It's best to keep your wallet and ID in a daypack, money belt, etc.

When I've traveled solo in Muslim countries I actually found that the locals were a bit protective and made an effort to look out for me. I like being independent, but appreciated the kind gesture. As for attention from Malay/Indo guys, the ones I have encountered have typically been polite, friendly and inquisitive, but lost interest when they found out I wasn't Muslim :)

#2 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 23:58

• miQuel

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Maria..

I do almost the same route 5 months with two girls more...
    From where are you?

Saludos

M.

#3 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 01:34

• maria_s

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

thanks a lot @ idreamofdurian!

I am from austria :)

#4 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 06:27

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

I was in Vienna last May -- I loved the weinermelange. Yum yum :)

#5 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 16:23

• parththefir-
    st

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009

Hi,

I am an expat staying in KL & keep on making short trips around SEA. Just returned from Indonesia trip..and it was awesome! Met a girl from Vienna there, who was under so much surprise that back home they do not consider non-European holidays at all! She had such a blast from 3 weeks..if this is your first time to Asia you will too!

Just a few pointers about KL..keep your bag on the inner-side shoulder [away from the road] and avoid dark alleys. The night charge for taxis is 1.5 times..insist on going by meter only. If not fix the price upfront. At the KL sentral station, they provide the map of public transport..it's quite a cheap option to explore KL. There is an hopon-hopoff bus service [myhoponhopoff.com]which covers a lot of interesting spots, which cannot be reached by public transport & lastly KL has a good nightlife. Don't miss enjoying :)

Cheers,
    :P

#6 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 16:34

• miQuel

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

HI again Maria... if you want share a part of trip...
    I have other post about in "Travel Companions"

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelcompanions/7021_winter-in-se-asia/0

Cheers..!

#7 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 17:57

• ecilassim

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2009

Hi Maria,
    Happy to heard tat u coming Malaysia for backpack,im Malaysian staying in Johor Bahru,its about 5hr bus from KL,its a town border to Singapore.I'll be happy show u around as a local while swap our backpack stories.

Daniel,

#8 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 14:08

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

now it sounds like you're being hit on :)

#9 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 22:49

• maria_s

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

that's what I was thinking :)

#10 Posted: 26/9/2009 - 13:03

• Advertisement

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

I travelled by myself in Malaysia for about a month in 2008, and then in 2009 I travelled in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore for two months (again alone)and had no problems.

#11 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 11:46

• rowankat

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2007

NO PROBLEM! It's a great place to be alone.

#12 Posted: 19/1/2010 - 18:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
34 years old woman travelling alone in SE Asia from December till March. ... By sonidominguez on 13 Apr 2011 9 3527 20 Sep 2011