Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

buying anti-malarials in malaysia (not for malaysia)

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

any ideas/knowledge about buying anti-malarial drugs in malaysia? a brief search yielded little in the way of results. I actually know a Malaysian doctor who works in NZ. He has never worked in Malaysia but said in theory it should be possible but i will need to get a prescription...

any help would be great

#1 Posted: 18/10/2009 - 20:08

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

Yeah, you definitely need a prescription.

Try this one: http://www.ttmcklcc.com.my/

They do travel medicine, are centrally located, and you can even make an appointment by email.

Otherwise, you could just try a walk-in clinic or calling a hospital once you're there. Might be cheaper as the above-mentioned place looks pretty swanky. These seem to be the major ones in KL:

http://www.hkl.gov.my/
    http://www.dsh.com.my/
    http://www.tungshin.com.my/

Live long and prosper!!

#2 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 00:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Bali isn't malarial (if that's what you have in mind) -- they do have it elsewhere in the archipelago though, but as per the malarial story, not always a required purchase.

#3 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 07:40

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

hey, thanks for the tips idreamof... i will definately check out those options

Thanks somtam, i know bali is fine...it would be for the rest of indonesia! i would prefer to buy them for the extra, although not complete, protection that they offer. Then again, it would depend on what was available in Malaysia. I would be more comfortable with malarone of doxy as these are what is reccomended and available at my doctors in the UK.

#4 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 19:14

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

"Yeah, you definitely need a prescription"

update: no need for a prescription!

I have just bought 24 malarone tablets from Guardian pharmacy in KL, two packs of 12, for 408 ringgit or 208 a box. This seems quite expensive,however,in the UK i paid 72 pounds for 14 but for 24 here in KL it works out at 63 pounds (at the rate of exchange i got when i cashed by travellers cheque)

I just walked in an asked if they stocked anti-malarials, the guy said "malarone?" and then got me what i needed. I think they dont bother with prescriptions as its not as if you can use malarone to get high or something, additionally i am obviously [looking at me] someone who is travelling.

#5 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 13:05

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

oh, also, i asked around and if there are any issues and they want a prescription from you i was told you can rock up to the hospital and they will just give you one

#6 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 13:07

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

OK - thanks for the info!! That does sound pretty expensive, but better safe than sorry... Where are you off to that you need anti-malarials?

My advice was based on trying to get some stomach meds/antibiotics there and being told by multiple pharmacists that I couldn't get anything stronger than Pepto Bismol without a script. :o

#7 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 19:34

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

yeah, certainly expensive in terms of ringgit but in pounds and relative to the UK price its dirt cheap. The pharmacist was the guardian that is inside the mall NEXT TO BB Plaza in the golden triangle area [not sure of the name].

You can probably buy doxy or something similar off them much cheaper.\

I am aware many travellers don't even bother - i found this to be the case in Laos - but i usually just follow the NHS and WHO advice as this seems sensible to me. I got the tabs for lombock,flores,komodo...etc essentially other parts of indonesia not Bali.

Perhaps it just depends on what you want. I think some of those stomach drugs can be potentially leathal if abused.

#8 Posted: 30/10/2009 - 18:00

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

I love Komodo :) Happy dragon spotting!

#9 Posted: 30/10/2009 - 18:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Anti-Malarials and Other Shots ... By exacto on 6 Mar 2006 3 3327 11 Apr 2006
Malaria & anti-Malarials --> Do I really need them? ... By tatham on 10 May 2010 10 5146 15 May 2010
Cameron Highlands - need anti-malarials? ... By LaraP on 9 Aug 2010 3 4397 12 Aug 2010
Buying a Motorbike in Malaysia ... By sdel on 18 Jan 2013 0 1617 18 Jan 2013
Buying a mobile phone - Thailand or Malaysia? ... By appro on 9 Aug 2010 0 3468 9 Aug 2010
info on buying malarials in Laos ... By Indoluso on 7 Jun 2010 3 1627 8 Jun 2010
hostels in malaysia and train ride from malaysia to singapore ... By samtahir on 31 Oct 2012 4 1006 2 Nov 2012
Route advice; 4 weeks Peninsular Malaysia and 3 weeks East Malaysia ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 31 Jan 2013 2 2969 3 Feb 2013
Would you get anti-malaria and anti-rabies preventative treatments for Luang Prabang? ... By EdwardTrunk on 15 Jan 2014 4 1537 19 Jan 2014