Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Ipoh - worth it

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

We, a family of 4,kids aged 5 and 8, will be travelling through Malysia on our way from Thailand in late jan and feb.
    We will travel from Ko Lipe to Langkawi on to Penang. Then I had thought about a stop in Kuala Lumpur, but are beginng to reconsider. I´m not sure if it´s a city that would suit us as it doesn´t seem to be particular interesting.
    What would you consider instead? We got 3 days to spare (2 full days at the destination).
    Is Ipoh worth a stop or should we head to Cameron Highlands, not sure of the latter cause of lack of time. What do you think?
    We like nature, nice old buildings, good food, just walking around.

Thanks in advance

Pia

#1 Posted: 25/10/2009 - 18:49

• Advertisement

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

Forgot to say that we will head to Melaka after this ? stop and then to Singapore before our flight to Perth

#2 Posted: 25/10/2009 - 18:51

• perkypurple-
    pixie

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2008

I live just outside KL. It depends on what you want to see/do that will make it interesting for you. There is plenty for kids to do, nice accommodation that is reasonably priced - and a melting pot of cultures.
    You can go to KL Bird Park, and to FRIM if you want some nature(google these if you need more info). You can experience China Town and Little India (Feb 14th is Chinese New Year)if you want some buidling and culture, and food. Melaka is only 2 hours away from KL by bus.

Ipoh and Cameron Highlands are nice - Cameron Highlands is cool, has good walks and you can learn about tea. Most of Ipoh's attractions are outside of the city.

Not else to add - but just enjoy the location wherever you go!!

#3 Posted: 3/11/2009 - 14:36

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

Thanks for your reply. I think I will keep this little leg open for change for now.

#4 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 23:28

• perkypurple-
    pixie

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2008

Feel free to ask any more questions. I have been here since January 09, and have finally been able to start exploring the country myself a few months ago so happy to pass on what I am learning.

If you haven't thought about it yet, you could consider hiring a car - this will help keep your travel arrangements flexible, plus everyone in Malaysia has a car so you are not cheating in terms of the travel experience here.

#5 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 11:17

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

personally, i loved KL. I've met a few people who didn't really enjoy it, mainly sighting traffic and pollution but i found it no worse than any other capital city in Europe. I would definately go there again and there is a fair bit to do. True, maybe not a weeks worth of stuff but enough to fill 3/4 days easily. The accomodation is good and fairly inexpensive and the food is amazing. I agree that the multiculturalism adds something extra too...

#6 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 16:55

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

Will def reconsider KL. Thanks

#7 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 23:45

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

I've only been to KL for a couple of nights, but I wasn't too impressed with it.

However, people who complain about pollution and traffic, i thought the city was much cleaner and less congested than say, a city like Bangkok. Moreover, you can bypass alot of the traffic with the train/monorail.

I can also vouch for the food! There was this one food court in the basement of a MASSIVE shopping mall which i felt went for hundreds of meters....had food from pretty much everywhere!

Anyway, I'm giving it another chance in November, anywhere you would recommend Christay?

#8 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 04:31

• virusvaleria

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2009

im off to KL in December, over xmas....

i fell in love with Bangkok....

#9 Posted: 11/11/2009 - 11:13

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Bangkok has got 100 yards over KL...

#10 Posted: 12/11/2009 - 04:36

• Advertisement

• tfkhang

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 11

You will probably find Taiping much easier to navigate, cheaper, and more fun than Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur. It is about one and a half-hour from Penang. The town is sufficiently compact to be walkable. Lots of colonial buildings, particularly the old adminstration buildings. The Chinese shops there have facades of the 20s or 30s so that's nice too. Food is cheap and good. The lake garden is the earliest one in Malaysia, with vast acreage. The trees lining the roads beside the garden are at least 100 years old, and provide an interesting vista. Then there's Maxwell hill nearby, where the state-run jeeps will take you up on a roller-coaster ride (caution: the twists and bends might upset a few stomachs). Finally, the Taiping zoo is well-run and has a good representation of the local fauna, including orang utans from Borneo. Nearby the city, the hamlets of Matang and Kuala Sepetang are worth visiting - the first one for the mangrove forests and kilns that bake charcoal, and the second one for inexpensive, good seafood. Some hotels can arrange tours to Matang.

As for accomodation, the Panorama hotel is very central, and good value for money. The Legend Inn is also good, but a bit of walking is needed.

#11 Posted: 12/11/2009 - 08:13

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Pia,

Ipoh and Taiping are small, charming and slow-moving towns. I think Taiping has more attractions than Ipoh, as pointed out by tfkhang above. However, since you will go to Penang and Melaka too, then I think these two places will offer you enough old colonial buildings to appreciate. KL might offer you another look at Malaysia - the noisy, multi-cultural, high-tech melting pot of modern Malaysia. It is not lacking of attractions - just check any decent guidebook and you will find more than enough places to go and things to do in one whole week. At the end of it, if you love nature, peace and relaxation more, and you really hate noise and traffic congestion, then Taiping or Ipoh will suit you and family more, otherwise, KL might worth a visit given your itinerary.

Hope it helps.

#12 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 22:44

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

Thank you so much for all your answers, I can see that we are spoilt for choice really.

#13 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 00:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
MichelangelO's Pizzseria: Ipoh's Only Authentic American Rock n Roll Wood Fire Pizzeria, Ipoh, Perak ... By rmo_67 on 18 Jun 2013 0 736 18 Jun 2013