Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Ipoh - worth it

Posted by pia2am on 25/10/2009 at 18:49

We, a family of 4,kids aged 5 and 8, will be travelling through Malysia on our way from Thailand in late jan and feb.
We will travel from Ko Lipe to Langkawi on to Penang. Then I had thought about a stop in Kuala Lumpur, but are beginng to reconsider. I´m not sure if it´s a city that would suit us as it doesn´t seem to be particular interesting.
What would you consider instead? We got 3 days to spare (2 full days at the destination).
Is Ipoh worth a stop or should we head to Cameron Highlands, not sure of the latter cause of lack of time. What do you think?
We like nature, nice old buildings, good food, just walking around.

Thanks in advance

Pia

#1 pia2am has been a member since 22/1/2009. Location: Denmark. Posts: 35

Posted by pia2am on 25/10/2009 at 18:51

Forgot to say that we will head to Melaka after this ? stop and then to Singapore before our flight to Perth

#2 pia2am has been a member since 22/1/2009. Location: Denmark. Posts: 35

Posted by perkypurplepixie on 3/11/2009 at 14:36

I live just outside KL. It depends on what you want to see/do that will make it interesting for you. There is plenty for kids to do, nice accommodation that is reasonably priced - and a melting pot of cultures.
You can go to KL Bird Park, and to FRIM if you want some nature(google these if you need more info). You can experience China Town and Little India (Feb 14th is Chinese New Year)if you want some buidling and culture, and food. Melaka is only 2 hours away from KL by bus.

Ipoh and Cameron Highlands are nice - Cameron Highlands is cool, has good walks and you can learn about tea. Most of Ipoh's attractions are outside of the city.

Not else to add - but just enjoy the location wherever you go!!

#3 perkypurplepixie has been a member since 30/4/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by pia2am on 4/11/2009 at 23:28

Thanks for your reply. I think I will keep this little leg open for change for now.

#4 pia2am has been a member since 22/1/2009. Location: Denmark. Posts: 35

Posted by perkypurplepixie on 5/11/2009 at 11:17

Feel free to ask any more questions. I have been here since January 09, and have finally been able to start exploring the country myself a few months ago so happy to pass on what I am learning.

If you haven't thought about it yet, you could consider hiring a car - this will help keep your travel arrangements flexible, plus everyone in Malaysia has a car so you are not cheating in terms of the travel experience here.

#5 perkypurplepixie has been a member since 30/4/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by christay2009 on 5/11/2009 at 16:55

personally, i loved KL. I've met a few people who didn't really enjoy it, mainly sighting traffic and pollution but i found it no worse than any other capital city in Europe. I would definately go there again and there is a fair bit to do. True, maybe not a weeks worth of stuff but enough to fill 3/4 days easily. The accomodation is good and fairly inexpensive and the food is amazing. I agree that the multiculturalism adds something extra too...

#6 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414

Posted by pia2am on 5/11/2009 at 23:45

Will def reconsider KL. Thanks

#7 pia2am has been a member since 22/1/2009. Location: Denmark. Posts: 35

Posted by furneburner on 6/11/2009 at 04:31

I've only been to KL for a couple of nights, but I wasn't too impressed with it.

However, people who complain about pollution and traffic, i thought the city was much cleaner and less congested than say, a city like Bangkok. Moreover, you can bypass alot of the traffic with the train/monorail.

I can also vouch for the food! There was this one food court in the basement of a MASSIVE shopping mall which i felt went for hundreds of meters....had food from pretty much everywhere!

Anyway, I'm giving it another chance in November, anywhere you would recommend Christay?

#8 furneburner has been a member since 5/9/2009. Posts: 180

Posted by virusvaleria on 11/11/2009 at 11:13

im off to KL in December, over xmas....

i fell in love with Bangkok....

#9 virusvaleria has been a member since 10/3/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by furneburner on 12/11/2009 at 04:36

Bangkok has got 100 yards over KL...

#10 furneburner has been a member since 5/9/2009. Posts: 180

Posted by tfkhang on 12/11/2009 at 08:13

You will probably find Taiping much easier to navigate, cheaper, and more fun than Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur. It is about one and a half-hour from Penang. The town is sufficiently compact to be walkable. Lots of colonial buildings, particularly the old adminstration buildings. The Chinese shops there have facades of the 20s or 30s so that's nice too. Food is cheap and good. The lake garden is the earliest one in Malaysia, with vast acreage. The trees lining the roads beside the garden are at least 100 years old, and provide an interesting vista. Then there's Maxwell hill nearby, where the state-run jeeps will take you up on a roller-coaster ride (caution: the twists and bends might upset a few stomachs). Finally, the Taiping zoo is well-run and has a good representation of the local fauna, including orang utans from Borneo. Nearby the city, the hamlets of Matang and Kuala Sepetang are worth visiting - the first one for the mangrove forests and kilns that bake charcoal, and the second one for inexpensive, good seafood. Some hotels can arrange tours to Matang.

As for accomodation, the Panorama hotel is very central, and good value for money. The Legend Inn is also good, but a bit of walking is needed.

#11 tfkhang has been a member since 26/10/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 1

Posted by chopin on 22/11/2009 at 22:44

Hi Pia,

Ipoh and Taiping are small, charming and slow-moving towns. I think Taiping has more attractions than Ipoh, as pointed out by tfkhang above. However, since you will go to Penang and Melaka too, then I think these two places will offer you enough old colonial buildings to appreciate. KL might offer you another look at Malaysia - the noisy, multi-cultural, high-tech melting pot of modern Malaysia. It is not lacking of attractions - just check any decent guidebook and you will find more than enough places to go and things to do in one whole week. At the end of it, if you love nature, peace and relaxation more, and you really hate noise and traffic congestion, then Taiping or Ipoh will suit you and family more, otherwise, KL might worth a visit given your itinerary.

Hope it helps.

#12 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154

Posted by pia2am on 23/11/2009 at 00:11

Thank you so much for all your answers, I can see that we are spoilt for choice really.

#13 pia2am has been a member since 22/1/2009. Location: Denmark. Posts: 35

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.