Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

working in malaysia

• mitchell

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

hi all. looking not to return to the 'home' country too soon and would like to maybe teach english in malaysia for 6-9 months to continue the trip after.
    any ideas about just showing up in kl(or another place) in december and finding enough work to start saving some money within 2 months say?
    i have years of experience in teaching english conversation in japan, taiwan, and argentina to children to adults.
    thanx for any advice

#1 Posted: 10/11/2009 - 17:46

• Advertisement

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

English is the 2nd language in Malaysia, and most adult Malaysians whose livelihood depends on English would have acquired it pretty well, so I think you might not find a good prospect to teach english conversation here. movies and tvs here show english programs un-dubbed (but with subtitles), just to give you an idea. You might have better chance if you can teach english as a second language in a school or college environment: written and spoken, most likely following a syllabus like O-level or A-level. One place that you can find out is to log-on to jobstreet.com, the best job site in malaysia, and find out about job availability in this area. Good news is we have many private colleges and international schools, that might need english teachers.

But then I could be wrong, as there might be people who really need a native english speaker to be their personal tutor (expatriate workers from japan, taiwan, korea, etc. and their children come to my mind), but generally you will find more opportunity like this in japan and thailand and taiwan than in malaysia.

#2 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 23:28

• Precious24

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2009

Why not try Vietnam, Korea, and Thailand? There are good opportunities in these countries for native English teachers.

#3 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 11:23

• 29lovelyme

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

wow people in malaysia speaks good english!

#4 Posted: 11/12/2009 - 15:51

• mitchell

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2009

yeah, its just that i will exit indonesia into kl and thought to give it a go. things arent so hot in taiwan anymore, korea too damn cold, japan too expensive to start up and thailand you cant save money.

#5 Posted: 13/12/2009 - 21:59

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

You're better off looking for an ESL job in Indonesia than in Malaysia. Regardless, you need to be qualified (minimum of a degree, TEFL and experience for a good position) for a job in either country.

www.eslcafe.com/joblist

#6 Posted: 14/12/2009 - 22:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Malaysia online train tickets - working again! ... By idreamofdurian on 2 Mar 2011 5 9606 9 Aug 2012