Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

any nice beaches near Kuala Lumpur?

• virusvaleria

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2009

im off to KL for 3 days in december: any nice beaches near KL at all?

#1 Posted: 11/11/2009 - 10:55

• Advertisement

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

KL is not by the seaside itself. The nearest beach that i can think of is Pantai Morib, somewhere to the south of Port Klang (Perlabuhan Kelang). You can check it up on Google map to see the relative distance from KL. It might take about two hours to drive there from central KL. However, it is much nearer if you go from KLIA (the airport).

I myself haven't been there before, and it may not be that beautiful compared to those white sandy beaches in the east coast but I heard those who have been there said it's ok for a visit. If you are there, it might be worth it to go to the nearby town called Banting, where they have a delicacy called the "beggar chicken" that attracts Chinese patrons from all over the west coast. Unfortunately, you might have to phone in days earlier to pre-order it.

Another further place is Port Dickson, which is more famous as a beach destination for KL people and it's more tourist-oriented, but it's a bit further down south, roughly 2.5 to 3 hours drive from KL.

Hope it's helpful to you.

#2 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 22:21

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Not really...

There are a couple beaches nearby Melaka and Penang, which are each about a 4 hour bus ride away. Or you could use AirAsia's cheap flights to go to Kota Bahru which is near the stunning Perhentian Islands.

#3 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 22:31

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

Hi idreamofdurian: During Nov to Jan it is normally the monsoon period esp. to the east coast of the Malaysia Peninsular, so islands like Perhentian and Tioman, and beaches in states like Kelantan, Terengaggnu and Pahang would be too dangerous to go. Do expect floods in those states too, so the west coast states would be a better bet. (btw, are you one of the rare farangs who love durians? :-) nice name... )

#4 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 20:15

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

Hi valeria: You mentioned you have 3 days for KL. Do you mean you will be there most of the 3 days, or you are just flying in and out using KL as the hub? For the former, you might not want to travel more than 3 hours for the beach and come back to KL in the same day, that makes Morib or PD your logical choices. For the latter, if you really fancy Malaysian beaches and islands during the monsoon period, probably Langkawi (just a 1 hour flight away from KLIA) would be great, and maybe Penang and Melaka too as suggested by idreamofdurian (though their beaches have gotten dirtier and less attractive to some.)

#5 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 20:17

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

Hey chopin. Thanks for the good advice. I forgot about his dates. I've been to Tioman in December though and it was OK... still some places open and regular ferries running. Perhentians will definitely be shut down though.

With regard to Melaka 's beaches, I was actually surprised how nice Pulau Besar was. It wasn't "groomed" of course, but the island was basically deserted - just me and a bunch of huge monitor lizards! Totally worth the trip out if you're bored in Melaka (and quite easy to access by public transit). Apparently people think the island is haunted which is why the golf course, resort, etc. have shut down?

Are you Malay? Judging by your good advice I suspect you are :)

I like durian as an idea, not as something to actually put in my mouth. I can still smell it when my neighbours bring one home :o

#6 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 22:15

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

Hi idreamofdurian, sorry I actually didn't know you were referring to P. Besar, because on the mainland Melaka the beaches are really nothing to shout about. It's a shame I myself haven't been to this island, but have been to Redang twice... Now i'm tempted to go and have a look after reading your post. any photos of the place?

And nope, I'm a Malaysian citizen (Chinese by origin) who loves eating durian, petai (as smelly as durian), and loves the laidback feel of the east coast...

#7 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 23:06

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Well the best beaches on the mainland has always been on the east coast. The water is clearer and places are less crowded. Places like cherating (north of Kuantan) , Air papan (near Mersing) , deserted beaches of dungun runs for miles and miles if you take the back road along the beaches.

Again north of Kuala Terengganu, Batu Rakit, Penarik , kg Merang also has spectacular beaches. But then again you need to travel the backroads and buses or taxix don tply this ruote.

But then again, december-January is not the time to travel to these places. It rains almost everyday,. the north east monsoon is in, and when it come, man.. it pours.

So, its the west coast during monson right? The best place near KL is non other then Port Dickson,.. hates it, too crowded and add to that.. the nosiy jetskis. Try a little bit south if one wants a bit of quiteness, the blue lagoon and even pengkalan balak on further south,

regards
    AA

#8 Posted: 28/11/2009 - 08:39

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

Hey chopin,

The write up is here: http://www.travelfish.org/location/malaysia/southern_peninsular_malaysia/melaka/beaches_and_islands_of_melaka

I've got lots more photos if you're interested. Pls email tprocyshyn at gmail dawt cohm

I love Malaysia... would move there in a heartbeat. That Second Home Malaysia visa program is definitely in my future....

#9 Posted: 28/11/2009 - 10:21

• adamou

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2009

You can head to Lummut and take the boat across to Pulau Pangkor which is probably the nearest Island geographically to KL - it's a lovely island with not traffic other than pink minbus local taxis - it's about a 3 hour drive/bus to the harbour of Lummut and then about 1/2 an hour by boat. Conveniently close to KL if you don't want to do too much travelling.

#10 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 00:14

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Kuala Besut to Kuala Lumpur by bus??? ... By KatMachine on 16 Jan 2012 2 4249 17 Jan 2012
Kuala Lumpur on 12 may ... By cscsky on 3 Apr 2014 0 226 3 Apr 2014
1 day in Kuala Lumpur ... By Manumask on 12 Sep 2009 8 6726 22 Nov 2009
Ko Samui to Kuala Lumpur ... By ACasualObserver on 4 Feb 2013 2 1610 4 Feb 2013
Singapore or Kuala Lumpur ... By konnan101 on 29 Apr 2011 3 4731 17 Jan 2012
Kuala Lumpur Airport ... By tyson on 19 Oct 2011 2 1896 19 Oct 2011
Kuala Lumpur - Krabi ... By mohdiqbal on 25 Oct 2011 2 2491 31 Oct 2011
Kuala Lumpur's Little India ... By mashreki on 10 Mar 2012 9 2611 19 Mar 2012
Kuala Lumpur - Hat Yai - Koh Phangan ... By haikalpribadi on 23 Aug 2012 1 2903 24 Aug 2012
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur ... By nish on 24 Nov 2011 25 5021 23 Feb 2014