Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Where's the best place for 3 days in Kuala Lumpur

• silversnapp-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

We just came from Manila and now we're in Hanoi. Our next stop will be Kuala Lumpur. Can you recommend places to visit to maximize our 3-day stay there? This will be our first time, though we don't want to stay away from the city.

#1 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 09:51

• Advertisement

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi, the main categories of attractions of KL would be:

a) Touristy sites: KL Tower (excellent bird's eye view of the city); Petronas Twin Towers (KLCC) (the former tallest buildings in the world, it also has an excellent shopping mall);

b) Nature: Bird Park, Butterfly House, Orchid Garden, these are all within the city's beautiful Lake Gardens (also has the National Monument) which can be covered in one morning or afternoon; Zoo Negara; Batu Caves (great limestone caves + Hindu temple); FRIM (great tropical jungle trekking and canopy walkway - might be closed in December for maintenance, check first); these latter three are further away from city center and will each take at least 3 hours to half a day to fully justify the trip.

c) Arts & Culture: Muzium Negara (great to understand this country's history and people); National Gallery (this is near KLCC by cab); Pasar Seni (great place to buy handicrafts); Little India; Petaling Street (the so called China Town - but really the whole KL has so many Chinese, this name is a joke.)

d) Pub scene: many lively and hip pubs and discos around the CBD.

These are just a handful of attractions that I can suggest for your 3 days' consumption. Remember to eat all street foods you can because it has the most variety here than many other cities, and hygiene standard of street food here is generally higher than other S.E.Asian countries. If you need to do shopping, this is also the city to go as prices is quite low and currently many malls have year-end sale.

Have a happy trip.

#2 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 20:22

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Street food in Malaysia is great but i'd DEFINATELY check out the food courts. I was actually advised by some friends [who are Malaysian] to go there if i want to try good food, in particular, Malay food. I think the hawker stalls in the golden triangle area are Chinese in origin and very tasty.

I don't know where you are staying but if you are in the golden triangle area or nearby then 'The Pavilion' shopping mall has a great food court in the basement. Definately worth a visit even though it is essentially an ultra modern western-style mall [i didn't go to shop!]. If you are nowhere this area but want to check it out just get the skytrain to Bukit Bintang station. This area has many great food, shopping and restaurant options.

#3 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 21:18

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

Yes if you like contemporary art I wouldn't miss the National Art Gallery. There's also a hop-on hop-off bus service in KL.

#4 Posted: 13/12/2009 - 04:52

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

I found the Museum of Islamic Art fascinating, would definately recommend that.

#5 Posted: 13/12/2009 - 10:32

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

Hi christay,

Thanks for your info. I think food courts are great esp. for tourists due to their easier accessibility and the concentration of a huge variety of different foods under one roof(if indoor) or in a same outdoor area. The places you mentioned are all great, but locals tends to prefer well-known stalls and they are usually established long before modern malls were built. But then again, normally only the locals have these kind of info. So for foreigners, food court in malls are the safer bet. But if you can get hold of any locals (Indian, Malay, or Chinese), do tell them you want something authentic and are favourites to the locals, you would generally find better deals than the fairs in malls.

A general rule of thumb is: the longer the queue, the better the taste! :-)

#6 Posted: 13/12/2009 - 19:48

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

Hi sidewinder, that's new to me! Thanks, i'll check this out...

#7 Posted: 13/12/2009 - 19:53

• silversnapp-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2009

Dear all,
    It's a great feeling to read all your ideas. This is somewhat a late reply but we have just finished our tour of Vietnam and there were too many placs and activities to go to.
    We're now ready to arrive in Kuala Lumpur. We will visit and experiences all the places and activities you have mentioned.
    We also tried street food in Manila and Hanoi. Amazing cultures. We have not booked yet for a hotel. Can you recommend for a 50USD/night?

#8 Posted: 19/12/2009 - 17:21

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

silversnapper,

There are many options for you if you can pay that much. My favourite will be The Federal Hotel, that can be as low as 40USD. It is situated in Jalan Bukit Bintang which is near the famous Bintang Walk, some good malls, and the famous Jalan Alor Chinese street food alley. Also in this area there are many other similar class hotels, and some nice guest houses that are even cheaper. you can walk and check them out until you got one that you like best. Transport is easy here: monorail, buses and taxis.

http://www.fhihotels.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=4

Another area will be Corus Hotel. This one is near the KLCC or Petronas Twin Tower. It is near a subway station.

http://www.corushotelkl.com/content_view.php?item=deluxe

If you can accept something less classy, then there are many small hotels and backpackers in the area of Jalan Sultan and Jalan Petaling (the so called Chinatown). The advantage here is that is the center of most public transport of the city(subway, buses, taxis, and train), and endless street food.

http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/malaysia/kuala-lumpur/17975/

http://www.pinganchorage.com.my/malaysia_hotel/kuala_lumpur_ancasa_hotel.htm

#9 Posted: 19/12/2009 - 20:37

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

#10 Posted: 19/12/2009 - 20:51

• Advertisement

• silversnapp-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2009

Thanks again! can't wait to go and munch all we can down there.. Lol!

#11 Posted: 20/12/2009 - 16:16

• silversnapp-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2009

Petaling street is an instant favorite for me. I wish I can devour all the Chinese and Korean, as well as local foods but we're running out of budget. We spent more time around the Petronas Towers and the Golden Triangle, rode the bus down to Pekeliling. Really tahnks for the many suggestions. It helped a lot.

#12 Posted: 22/12/2009 - 10:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
place to visit in Kuala Lumpur ... By aanchal011 on 22 Feb 2011 4 5258 14 Jun 2011
The best place for batik painting in Kuala Lumpur ... By hellosunshinehe on 11 Feb 2014 0 459 11 Feb 2014
Between Bali & Kuala Lumpur...few days! ... By smillertime78 on 15 Nov 2010 8 5653 21 Nov 2010
Malaysia-Kuala Lumpur IN 5 DAYS ITINERARY HELP?! ... By heybabyy on 21 Apr 2014 3 1078 24 Apr 2014
Kuala Besut to Kuala Lumpur by bus??? ... By KatMachine on 16 Jan 2012 2 4625 17 Jan 2012
Kuala Lumpur on 12 may ... By cscsky on 3 Apr 2014 0 460 3 Apr 2014
1 day in Kuala Lumpur ... By Manumask on 12 Sep 2009 8 6935 22 Nov 2009
Kuala Lumpur's Little India ... By mashreki on 10 Mar 2012 9 2800 19 Mar 2012
Kuala Lumpur Airport ... By tyson on 19 Oct 2011 2 1987 19 Oct 2011
Kuala lumpur to Thailand- HOW MUCH???? ... By Ingrids on 30 Oct 2009 4 8212 31 Oct 2009