Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

7 days in Malaysia - where would you go?

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Hi everyone,

My partner and I have a 7 day stop over in Malaysia before heading to Phnom Pehn. We will be arriving on the 16th of April and we do want to spend a couple of days exploring KL, but think that 7 days in the city may be too much.

We are looking to head somewhere not too far away (half a days travel from KL at most) where we can experience a bit of Malaysian culture and see some beautiful scenery. Not fussed as to whether it is beach/mountain/jungle whatever and are not really looking for nightlife, we are open to all recommendations.

We are on backpacker budget so flying anywhere isnt an option.

I look forward to your suggestions :)

#1 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 06:55

• Advertisement

• cdnexplorer

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2009

My suggestion would be the Cameron Highlands

#2 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 11:13

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Yup, 7 days is too much for KL.

Suggest, Melaka . its a historical town. Used to be a port for Portuguese and later , the Dutch. There are many places worth visiting, and they are located close to each other too. You may walk or hire the trishaw to move aorund. Guest house are cheap too. Food is great. Try google Melaka or its older name Malacca. Approximately 130km from Kuala Lumpur, 2 hours on a bus.

Or if you need to see some nice beaches, try Pulau Pinang (Penang Island in English) Check out Batu feringi beach. There are motels, guest houses etc. Georgetown is an old city within, good food at the penang esplanade, nearby, but slightly more expensive than Melaka.Penang is approximately 4 hours on an express bus.

For highlands.. the tea plantation experience is a good one at Cameron Highlands. Nice cool resort highland. But be warned, dont go on weekends or on public holidays. Limited roads on the hills here and the cars and tour coaches are bumper to bumper. Its a favorite resort for the malaysians.

#3 Posted: 2/2/2010 - 21:44

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I will have a look into these destinations :)

#4 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 06:20

• jeepney

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2009

I will also be in KL for 7 days starting April 21.

We will be visiting Malacca (day trip only), will also be staying overnight at Genting Highlands.

#5 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 12:52

• peters123

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010

I am from Bangalore and I have visited malaysia a year ago what I like the most is Kota Kinabalu and Kuala Lumpur. These two places are really great.

#6 Posted: 3/3/2010 - 20:41

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks everyone for your replies. We have had to cut it down to three days/four nights so will probably just sticky beak around the city.

#7 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 09:19

• jeepney

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2009

I will be also in KL for 7 days. April 21 to 27. Planning to do a day trip to Malacca, overnight at Genting Highlands, Sunway Lagoon, and maybe visit Putrajaya also.

Any other suggestions? =)

#8 Posted: 3/4/2010 - 18:50

• alicia

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Beside Kuala Lumpur, I’d recommend you some other places: Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan, Miri Mulu, Kuching.

As you known, with its wealth of natural environments, Malaysia offers a plenty of adventure opportunities: jungle trekking, mountain and rock climbing, scuba diving, kayaking, mountain biking, etc..

With 7 days I hope you will visit and enjoy all of them.

#9 Posted: 25/5/2010 - 09:16

• apriljune

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010

guys can you help me out with my budget and recommend me a cheap but descent hotel where i can stay?

#10 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 15:36

• Advertisement

• gytoh2001

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010

Penang for the culture and food! There is no better place to taste the food of Malaysia. Check of this site for a better idea, especially if you're on a tight schedule, visit KL for the city for 2 days, then just come by to Penang, it is cheap enough by bus.

sspenangtours.webs.com

#11 Posted: 19/6/2010 - 01:34

• Tarek_serag-

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2010

Genting highland is a very nice place and within the budget limit ;) , you can go there easly through " Puduraya Bus Station, Kuala Lumpur " take a full ticket for the go and bach journy and the cable car and the park ,,

Also within KL you may visit birds park , it is also a nice place to visit ...

#12 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 13:58

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

If you guys needed a budget toomat Kuala Lumpur,
    try this

http://www.anjungkl.com/

regards
    AA

#13 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 13:20

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Gosh,.. my bad... it's room at , and not "toomat"... sure wish this web has an edit button...

sorry.

AA

#14 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 13:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.