Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Langkawi is full??

• cidadeamado-
    ra

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2010

Hello friends, I´ve booked a flight to langkawi for the 12/02/2010 and expect to stay their ralxing on the beach for 7 nights, evyrone told me that it´s ok if I don´t book any hotel, but I did't know that the chinese new year is at that time.
    So now I´ve the flights booked and it´s seems like that I will not have any place to stay, anybody knows if this is for real (fully booked) or this is just for increase the prices.
    I´m a litlle bit desperate because if arrive there and don't have any place to stay I don't know what to do.
    Anyone could help me. Thank you.

#1 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 02:39

• Advertisement

• cidadeamado-
    ra

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2010

Do you know anything please??

#2 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 08:08

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Um - "EVERYONE" told you it is full.
    Now did this include booking sites like travelfish's, Agoda, Asia Rooms, Hotel Club, the Langkawi specific sites etc?
    If it was Joe at work or just a few booking sites, I'd keep looking.

#3 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 17:48

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Here's another angle - KO LIPE which is a real nice holiday island in Thailand about 30 minutes by speedboat from Langkawi may have some vacancies. Depends a bit on whether your flight allows you to get that day's boat. Google Langkawi-Lipe Speedboat and Ko Lipe accommodation - plus check travelfish's accomm site.

#4 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 17:52

• cidadeamado-
    ra

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2010

Thank you so much for your answers, Tezza I´ve already seach all the majors and minors sites of booking, also search more or less 70 sites from hotels, guesthouses, houses for rent and they are all full.
    Ko Lipe I don´t know anything about it but I´ll try to get some info. Do you know if there is any animation or is it just the bech?
    Thank you once more.

#5 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 19:19

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Lipe is a nice holiday destination, but yeah, mainly beach/diving/snorkeling and some party if you want. Is not a big wildlife place if that is what you are after.

BTW - here's a Langkawi place gets good reviews on travel sites but I've never found a website or contact info so I got some early Dec:
    A lower cost place gets rave reviews in users' forums is Tropical Resort on the main beach road, Tengah North. It's only about a 10 minute walk in to Cenang from here. Contact numbers have been scarce so I called in and got a card - ph 04-955 4075/955 3075. There are 2 small shopping complexes + restaurants adjacent. Popular low budget Zachry's which has even got dorm rooms is nearby on the opposite (inland) side of the road.

Might be worth a call.

#6 Posted: 6/2/2010 - 18:19

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

And travelfish here has good good info on Lipe in the Thailand Islands section.

#7 Posted: 6/2/2010 - 18:20

• rtw2009

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 3

I know it is already too late for the original question, but I wanted to add a comment as I went to both Langkawi and Koh Lipe in early February and have some observations that may be helpful.

Langkawi. There are many guesthouses and hotel choices with an abundant number of rooms. The problem with not reserving is that you may find yourself on the "non-beachside" rooms or at a very fancy resort both which tend to be overpriced for what you get. About the location, the water was murky, there's a lack of shade, heavy mosquito presence, the jellyfish made swimming unpleasant and there is a constant "sewage" smell in town. Also, overcharging schemes seem more "severe" here than the rest of Malaysia. Taxi touts sit at the fast boat arrival charging 2-3 times the normal rate. There is a distinct lack of mid-range food choices, so if you are tired of the very cheap local fare, you will likely have to pay very high prices for a pizza or some pasta. Around the island, the waterfall was worth a visit but other sites were underwhelming with a heavy touristic feel to it like the duty free mall, the cable car and aquarium.

Koh Lipe. Although it wasn't as easy as 30 minutes for me (closer to 1.5 hours in a crowded boat plus time on shore to check into immigration), the island was indeed beautiful. The beaches were crystal clear with no jellyfish, no mosquitoes and several options for shade. The many boutique bars and restaurants around town provided a really good variety. Scuba diving, snorkelling, island hopping by longboat all seemed abundant with plenty of places offering good competitive services.

#8 Posted: 20/2/2010 - 15:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.