Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Christmas 2010 Malaysia or Thailand ?

• Carlos82

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2010
    Location Ireland

Hi Folks,

I’m arriving in Malaysia at the end of November 2010 for a years travelling with my girlfriend and am looking some where nice to spend Christmas and New Year. I had looked at Langkawi but had thought also of moving up into Thailand.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Carl

#1 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 23:51

• Advertisement

• steve74

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2010

Good question, I'm in exactly the same position (minus the girlfriend!) and would also love to hear others thoughts. Was thinking of perhaps heading to one of the Southern Thai Islands for Christmas. Would be a new experience for me spending Christmas on a beach in the sun!

#2 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 02:03

• laconic

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2010

Just got done traveling through Thailand and Malaysia (m/28). We went to Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Koh Tao island in Thailand and Penang and KL in Malaysia. I would personally prefer to spend xmas in Malaysia.

A friend told me that xmas and New Year in the Thai islands are crazy and super busy/crowded. If, like her, that is your kind of thing, then you will be super happy. It is just not my bag. Koh Tao was pricy for what you got in my opinion for food and accomidation. I can only imagine it over a busy holiday.

I spent xmas and new year in Ubud and Amed in Bali, which was relaxing and wonderful.

#3 Posted: 14/3/2010 - 03:14

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Yes, its very subjective. Both places are great to spend the christmas. It all boils up to what you would like to have. A real merry crowded christmas, than thailand is the best bet. But if you want a quiter evening, then t malaysia.

AA

#4 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 14:00

• Carlos82

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2010
    Location Ireland

Thanks for the replies, they have been quite helpful.

We are actually looking at spending being slightly extravagant and spending christmas on Phi Phi Island.

Any thoughts ?

#5 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 17:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Malaysia or Thailand for Christmas ... By Carlos82 on 11 Mar 2010 1 1064 13 Mar 2010
Nov - Dec 2010 Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia ... By Kittyontour on 2 Nov 2010 2 1173 3 Nov 2010
Vietnam, Thailand & Malaysia June/July - Sep 2010 ... By mynamesmike on 14 Mar 2010 4 2941 27 Sep 2010
Solo Trip Thailand-Malaysia (july-sept) 2010 need company ... By teepot on 29 Jan 2010 44 7034 4 May 2011