Mongolia forum

Technology vs.Basic Sanitation

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I just received this email from an American friend traveling in Mongolia - thought you might enjoy a laugh:

Technology vs.Basic Sanitation

We have now arrived at the Ger camp. It is a very basic camp and there is no indoor toilet. In fact shortly after arrival, we had lunch and then I needed to do you know what - and I had to do it totally out in the open!!! This was a first time experience. On previous trips, I have dealt with some basic facilities, but this was the first time I had to do it totally out in an open field - with horses and yaks roaming around nearby. However, here's the irony:

Every member of my host family, including the 10 year old, has a cell phone and they have a laptop - which I am using at the moment - and Internet access is provided by satellite. I guess in this day and age, technology is more important than basic sanitation!!!!!!!!

PS - I wonder what they do in winter. The Mongolian winters are bitterly cold and I cannot even imagine having to do that outside in winter. You will probably turn into an iceman. However, my host family cannot speak English and so I cannot ask the question :)

IT'S ALL PART OF THE OVERALL EXPERIENCE OF BEING IN MONGOLIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 12:07

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I wonder what they do in winter

Must be an app for that. :)

#2 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 22:06

• gennakim

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2013
    Location Korea, South

Lol i love this story!
    Well i had similar experience before and it was like... being part of nature and i kinda enjoyed it later haha
    But at first time, i almost cried.......

#3 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 00:27

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You've never done a bog camping before? No big deal at all. Must have lived a sheltered city life.

#4 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 11:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.