Motorbiking in Asia forum

Where to start journey

• gdansk

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010

Hi
    What is the best place to start motorbike journey, maybe meet some other riders to join them?
    Is september\november good months do do so?
    Thanks. Marek

#1 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 00:27

• Advertisement

• ridetheworld

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2011

Hi Marek.
    There are some issues you have to consider when riding and crossing borders here in South East Asia.
    Regulations in general: It is not easy to take bike from country to another. To make this even more challenging, different countries have different rules and when we are in Asia, different custom officers seems to have different rules too.

Tolls and taxes: Again, different rules in every country. Be prepared to spend time, tobacco and money with paperwork.

Insurances: This is the most important. Bike insurance has to cover all countries you plan to ride.

In case you are willing to ride in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore, the easiest might be to take the bike from Singapore. Singaporean bikes do have easy access all the way to Thailand. After that, everything is up to insurance companies.

Check www.bigloudrides.com and contact those guys for more information. They might be able to give you a solution.

Nasai

Ps. September - November is rainy season in Thailand. Singapore and Malaysia are still ok.

#2 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 10:52

• shing

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2011

hey gdansk, i will be in vietnam from 12 dec 2011 to 10 jan 2012, would be doing the northwest for a week before heading down to hcmc along the country side.

arriving in hanoi and buying/renting a bike to do the entire trip.could meet you up if you decide to do vietnam:)

shing

#3 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 14:48

• Lostbeachbum

Click here to learn more about Lostbeachbum
    Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2011
    Location United States

Hey gdansk,

I'm starting my journey the middle of next month. After renting a bike and exploring the Thailand south coast for a few weeks, I'm flying to Han Oi to buy a Honda Win or simlar to start my ride through Vietnam-Laos-Cambodia-Thailand and Malaysia. Happy to meet up along the way!

#4 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 21:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.