Motorbiking in Asia forum

Lost Drivers License

• monkindy

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2010

Hi, I am leaving for South East Asia in two weeks for athree months journey, but have however managed to lose my driver’s licensewithin the last week.
    It will take between 2-3weeks for a new one to come through so this is notsuitable.
    Therefore I was wondering what forms of idea are suitable when travelling inAsia (I’m going to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia)
    Im flying in and out of Thailand with land crossings between the othercountries, apart from Laos to Vietnam where I will fly in with a visa on arrival.
    I will be doing normal tourist activities and was hoping to rent a motorbikesomewhere in Vietnam.
    Will my passport be sufficient as identification while travelling around? Iwill have other sorts of ID such as credit card with my name on it, old studentID with picture and name, work ID with picture and name.
    Or do I desperately need a new drivers license before I leave!!!???

Much appreciated

#1 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 11:22

• Advertisement

• James7

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've just spent the last couple of weeks travelling through Vietnam by motorbike, so what I say here I know applies to Vietnam for sure; Laos, Cambodia and Thailand I can't say for certain but imagine it would be pretty much the same. Your driving license would not be valid in Vietnam anyway and neither is an IDP but everyone here drives without one anyway as there is no way to obtain a Vietnam license without a working visa and even then it's a very protracted process that takes a number of weeks. The police here tend to leave foreigners alone unless you're involved in an accident. To rent a bike they won't ask to see any type of license and you will need to leave your passport with the rental company and they'll give you a letter stating they're holding it as a deposit to show hotels and authorites etc. explaining this. If you're going on a longer trip then they'll accept a cash deposit of the full price of the bike instead of your passport as collatoral. You may struggle to get a rental bike across borders, depending on the length of your trip you may be better off buying something and then selling it. Also expect to visit the mechanics often. Rentals in Hanoi - Mr Cuong comes highly reccomended by a lot of people. Hope this helps.

#2 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 14:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Lost license Important? ... By scottyg on 22 Jan 2013 5 1762 28 Jan 2013