Motorbiking in Asia forum

Motorbiking Vietnam and Cambodia

• artvandelay

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

Hello, New member here, I am visiting in Singapore (from NY) and am going to Vietnam and Cambodia in two days. I am flying into HCMC then taking a bus to Cambodia and am going to rent a motorbike in Cambodia. I am flying into HCMC because its much cheaper than Cambodia. After visiting Cambodia I am going back to HCMC and buying a motorbike and traveling north to Hanoi . I will probably go via central highlands and depending on how long it takes I might take a train in order to be in Hanoi for Chinese New Year. I have never done anything like this before and am really excited. Hopefully I will update this and let everyone know how its going. Cheers!

#1 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 12:25

• Advertisement

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hey,

Good luck on your trip. We met a ton of people motorbiking through Vietnam, we did the trip the other way around from Hanoi to HCMC. It took about 3 and a half weeks North to South at a comfortable pace with 2-4 day stops in between.

We found it overall more hassle-free renting bikes rather than buying them. Fellow travelers who bought Minsks were then stuck with the chore of trying to sell them off which wasn't as easy as they'd anticipated. We rent our bikes here http://www.flamingotravel.com.vn/

Beware: after luring us in with cheap rentals they slipped in a bunch of costs last minute, such as a charge for returning the bike to Hanoi (which I doubt they did since they have another office in HCMC). Hassle them to find out all costs up front!

Have a great time :)

FSH

#2 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 19:22

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

One more thing - be prepared for the most ridiculous traffic / driving you've experienced, particularly HCMC! Don't let this set of road rules spoil your fun, just copy the locals and be cautious. It's less packed when you leave the cities but highway driving is equally reckless. Get a good helmet and a raincoat. You'll love it :)

FSH

#3 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 19:28

• artvandelay

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

Thanks Fran, I think I will try buying instead of renting since it should be cheaper. I leave tomorrow and am really excited. Will try to update if possible.

#4 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 15:29

• jcphillips83

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello,
    I am just finishing a motorbike trip from Hanoi to HCMH and am looking to sell my bike. It's a Honda Winn 100cc. I have registration papers, a helmet and a lock. I'm asking $350. If you're still interested in buying a bike, or if you just want some advice for your trip, let me know.

thanks

#5 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 08:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.