Motorbiking in Asia forum

Plan for a motorbike trip in Vietnam

• reachardl

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am in Bangkok and plan to go to Vietnam in Feb for a month by motorbike. Before going i want to makesure st for my trip so i need your help
    1. how is the weather in Hanoi - Maichau- Dien Bien Pu - Sapa - Halong bay - Heu - Hoian -Nha Trang - HoChi Min ? I mean how differencce bettween ?
    2. I am 178cm man so which bike should i take ?
    3. How much is for a 2nd Bike and a new bike? What's kind?
    I'm very excited to go!!!!!

HELP ME! THANKSSSSSSSSS|!
    Rechard

#1 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 09:28

• Advertisement

• johnysac

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2009

hi there
    First thing where do you want to start hanoi or saigon
    1 78 is not too much of a prob as long as you keep clear of hondcubs and chailys
    you can not buy a new bike unless you can wait 10 days for papers
    let me know about your start point and maybe i can help

Johny

#2 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 13:02

• reachardl

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

i think i will start from Hanoi then the northwest and then down to the south. Have you got any recommened bike and mechanic ?

#3 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 14:49

• ricky121

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

i don't know about a good mechanic over there but its better u go fot Triumph Tiger bikes.. 650 cc or 850cc will be good for the trip..

#4 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 15:59

• johnysac

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2009

hi rechardi
    contact vietnam motorbikes in hanoi ask fo a hond win
    hi ricki
    I am afraid you can only ride up to a 170 in vietnam.with out a special license. However most bikes are 110 or 125 legaly you need a viet license however most travelers dont bother as it is easy to pay the fine and most of the police turn a blind eye
    The best time is now to ride as the rainy season is over but rain still occurs up nort and its colder . I f your bike is a honda desighned 110 then you will get it fixed any where.Most of the the time you can cross into cambodia on your blue card registration but use the mekong border check points I advise not to ride at night in the country side but in citys you are ok dependig in which district you are . just use your instincts

Regards johny

#5 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 20:05

• ricky121

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

hi johny, my Pulsar is a 220cc bike.. so would i require a special permit for it?

#6 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 12:51

• onzereis

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2010

Hi reachardl,

My wife and i are doing a wonderfull trip on a bike right now. First Vietnam and now Cambodia. It's starting to get really hot here. The south of vietnam (HCM) is going to be freaking hot, but the north (esp. Sapa) is nicer and cooler. But still summer is coming.
    I got to say Vietnam is nice but Cambodia is maybe nicer. More rural and quiter.

More info you can email me (van.os.rik@gmail.com) We spend the last 2 months on a bike so everything you want to now, just ask!

And if you are looking for a bike, ours is for sale right now. In two days we'll be in Siem Reap (an if not yet sold 2 weeks later in Bangkok) http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/motorbikeasia/13318_suzuki-for-sale-from-1-feb-in-siem-reap-or-later-in-thailand is the adv.

Let me know!
    Cheers Rik

#7 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 22:02

• johnysac

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2009

Hi ricky
    You will be very lucky if you can get a non viet registered bike into the country and if you do parts for your 220 will be very hard to find My advice is buy in vietnam and then take into cambodia and thailand .Laos is closed to foreign bikes at the moment but that might change very soon
    Regards johny

#8 Posted: 28/1/2011 - 10:47

• windman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2011

Laos is not closed to foreign bikes. My friend just toured all over with his Vietnam-registered Suzuki.

#9 Posted: 5/3/2011 - 08:54

• Positivetra-
    vel

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2011

Hi Rechardi,

Very exciting about riding through Vietnam! We did it for 2 months and had the best time!
    Honda Wins are very popular but we ended up buying a 2nd hand Suzuki 125cc (we both sat on it-my finace-who is 6ft-and myself, along with our 2 backpacks)

Like Johnnysac said it is illegal for foreigners to own a motorbike, but i think definitely getting something less powerful (like a 125cc that we did) helped us to stay out of the police's radar.

If you want some good people to conatct in hanoi and mechanics etc, email us and we can give you the details: admin [at] positiveworldtravel [dot] com

Cheers!
    Elise

#10 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 00:58

• Advertisement

• theminskman

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2010

Hey guys, yeah if you get to Hanoi and want motorbikes, i stock some wins for sale that have all been worked on as a side line hobby and are in decent condition for the trip. Please email me on kobrowisky@gmail.com if you want to have a look at them. I am based in Hanoi.

I have been living here for a while and can direct you to some amazing places in vietnam!

#11 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 15:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
motorbike trip vietnam ... By dwcurran5 on 22 Jul 2010 27 10721 17 May 2014