Motorbiking in Asia forum

Does anyone here ride a real bike?

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Every single add I see here is for a bike 125cc or less. Anyone ride something in the 500cc range?

#1 Posted: 7/7/2011 - 15:53

• Advertisement

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

You see many of those out there?

#2 Posted: 7/7/2011 - 16:13

• johnysac

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Yep i do but i have a level 2 viet police liscense
    but i guess you dont know there is a 170 cc limit in vietnam for the masses and that means that up to 150 is the norm

Johny

#3 Posted: 7/7/2011 - 16:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yeah here in Thailand there are bikes in every size range. I myself am riding a little crotch roccket at 150cc, but am looking to get something bigger when my son finishes school (and I have money again).

#4 Posted: 7/7/2011 - 16:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Johny
    I heard that about Vietnam. But for the rest of SEA, that limit doesn't exist. Most people out here ride small bikes because they have no money for anything else. But here on travelfish I never see anyone, EVER, look for something bigger. Strange.

#5 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 00:03

• johnysac

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2009

I think its because of resale mainly and rider experiance . Most tourist i speak to on bikes have a small amount of rider experiance, and a big motor would scare the hell out of them . i have a friend in thailand in phukett and he tells me that some people rent a fire blade or yamaha F1 or ninja and are dead in the first hour
    Your dead right about the average jo running a 110 or 125 because they are affordable
    the same as in the states the working man is in a toyota ford or chevy driving a 500 here is like owning a hemi charger How ever i am always amazed at the pulling power these 110s produce. In cambodia i have been in a tuk tuk puled by a wave 110 with 3 other guys and 3 girls and it ran with ease I only ride a big bike because of the comfort as i am a 110 kg and 6 foot 3
    Jonny

#6 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 13:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well Honda makes the CBR in 250 and I test drove that, and it was just about right for me. But I'm small, 5' 6" and 135 pounds.

#7 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 17:41

• ridetheworld

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2011

And if you go more South to Malaysia or Singapore you really have to have the big bike license, over 400cc ;o) And having that can be a painful process like for example here in Singapore. European and North American licenses are fine as long as they are in English.
    Insurances of rental bikes in general is the main reason why you have only limited number of big bikes available. This is changing step by step.
    You should check www.bigloudrides.com if you are planning trip to Malaysia or Singapore.

#8 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 10:46

• Lostbeachbum

Click here to learn more about Lostbeachbum
    Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2011
    Location United States

I've always ridden big bikes here in the US and just sold my last one, a Harley 1200 Sportster. First bike was a GSXR 750 at 15 and I've owned everything up to a Hayabusa. After riding in several developing countries, the only "big bike" I would ride there is a 450 dual purpose, KTM would be perfect. I'm buying a small bike in VN for my SE Asia tour for resale and boarder crossing reasons just like Johnysac said. However I will be renting a 250 in Cambodia for a week of back country off roading, can't wait for that! The good thing about the cheap bikes is if they die or get confiscated, you're only out $300-$400. At least that's how I'm looking at it.

#9 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 21:50

• johnysac

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2009

Good for you beach bum
    Dont worry about confiscating . As long as you have a blue card for your viet bike and an otto xa mai (yellow card ) you shold be ok . You might have to give a 10 buck no viet license sweetner but what the hell . Just make sure you buy the bike overhauled from a dealer for 300 and not a piston shot bearing worn clunker for 250 from another backpacker
    its worth the extra 50 bucks
    Oh and somthing else i read recently was a guy selling his bike with no papers saying you only need the papers to cross the border . Hell no ! if you have no papers in vietnam the bike is impounded untill you can produce them if you can not produce the bike is deemed stolen and you have a lot of explaining as you most certainly wont know the previous guy was on the papers to prove you bought it from him

keep on biking Johny
    Ps the viet bike can get you into laos and cambodia . The new goverment in thailand are having a clamp down so I hear So not to sure there

#10 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 02:21

• Advertisement

• Lostbeachbum

Click here to learn more about Lostbeachbum
    Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2011
    Location United States

Thanks Johnny! The yellow card you mention, is that the customs slip you are talking about? I haven't heard that mentioned before. I plan on keeping a $10 or $20 in my PP to make things smoother should anything happen, also carry small notes on me. Came in handy in several countries already so I'm used to paying a "tax/toll/BRIBE!". Don't feel bad about that $50, I was relieved of $250 in Jamaica for carrying a knife...And that's just one of many.

I've been speaking to the owner of a shop that was recommended on GT RIDER. He has a nice GN125 waiting for me with papers, but also has a few clean WINS if someone beats me to it. I'm a quality over budget kinda guy so I don't mind paying a little more for a good bike. Thanks for the tip on Thailand, from everything I had heard it was supposed to be Laos giving people problems. Oh well, I'll try a few crossing and keep my ear out for anyone crossing successfully. No big deal if I have to sell it in VN and buy or rent another one in Thailand.

#11 Posted: 15/9/2011 - 23:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bike ride through Cambodia ... By KRStamm on 10 Apr 2009 0 2215 10 Apr 2009
Want to ride on the back of my bike from Thailand across Burma into India? ... By upthejunction on 17 Jan 2014 0 973 17 Jan 2014
Vietnam Motor Bike Ride - Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi ... By ozscott on 2 Nov 2009 3 3620 16 Nov 2009