Motorbiking in Asia forum

Motorbiking Burma

• cmfj

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2011

Hey, I see a lot of posts about motorbiking through Vietnam, Thailand etc. I have not come across anyone doing this in Burma. Wondering if anyone has any insight, advice or experience traveling in this country by motorbike. Myself and a friend are thinking this could be a great adventure! Anything at all is helpful, cheers!

#1 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 09:21

• Advertisement

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

I spent my honeymoon for a month in Myanmar. They people in Myanmar refer to their country as Myanmar not as Burma just as a friendly tip (they will tell you that only westerners still call it that).

Unfortunately you are NOT allowed to ride a motorbike in Burma. They are NOT allowed in Yangoon and you are not allowed to travel with your own transportation. You are not allowed to rent a bike and if anyone in Mandalay does ask you if you want to rent one you may be arrested by the Burmeese officials. You are not allowed to travel outside the tourist areas. There are some lovely quiet places that will forever be embedded in your memory but I would recommend public transportation since Myanmar truly is not about the scenery but the people. I hope this helps.

#2 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 23:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

A lot of "not alloweds" going on here.

I find name reinventions a curious thing that only seems to apply to Asia. Hence Peking isn't Peking, it's Beijing. And Rangoon isn't Rangoon, it's Yangon. But Koeln is still Cologne, and Muenchen is still Munich...

Then there's the political renamings by all and sundry - the worst is the riduculously named Ho Chi Minh City. Hillarious - I'll stick with Saigon thanks.

And we have Burma. Myanmar? Christ.

#3 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 23:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I did forget Rhodesia and some of the African colonial names that were changed... didn't I?

#4 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 15:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.