Motorbiking in Asia forum

Chinese Yamaha copy? Buy or not?

• jipsa78

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm traveling through Vietnam and have been thinking about buying a motorbike to continue my travels on. An employeein my hotel has offered me to buy his Yamaha Jupiter MX for only $ 200,-
    He says he has bought if from an Americantourist who drove it down from northern Vietnam.

I took the bike to a mechanic and he was pretty negative about it. He said it's made in China and I will likely have problems with the bike somewhere along the road.

According to my information the Jupiter MX is only made in Indonesia, the Philipines and Thailand though (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Y135LC).So either the mechanic doesn't know what he is talking about or the bike I am being offered is some fake copy from China.

Considering the price, would this be a good deal?
    Or is it better to stay away from the Chinese copies?

#1 Posted: 16/10/2011 - 15:42

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

If it is a real Yamaha, I don't think you'll have any problems.
    Take a look at the VIN number and see where it was made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number#World_Manufacturer_Identifier

Considering your location, it will most likely be from Thailand if it is authentic.
    Why not go to a Yamaha dealer and have them check out the motorcycle? Or find a mechanic who worked at a Yamaha dealership?

Stay away from the Chinese copies.

#2 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 09:19

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Sound advice from goonistik.

For me the $200 tells me enough. A good decent bike in this region goes normally for $600 and up, regardless of brand or age. They wouldn't sell to you for $200 if it was a good bike. Locals will easily buy a decent bike for $600 and the seller would seek a local buyer if the bike was worth it.

Most if not all locals know their motorbikes and a $200 one will cost you at least the same in repairs.

#3 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 10:23

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Eastwest,

LOL.

"Bought from American tourist who drove it down from the north" is beginning to sound a lot like "Driven by a little old grandmother who only used it on weekends to go to church."

$200 is suspiciously low.

#4 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 12:00

• gabrielgodin

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011

Hey gents, let's get a little bit technical here (but still very simple) and we will save a lot of incertitude and useless talking:

1-Vietnamese bikes have a cards or 'papers' that is pronounced 'DANG KI'. It's written on the Danky the BRAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it doesn't have danki it's also illegal!!!! So it does't worth anything, that's why it could be CHEAP but also be a real Yamaha.

2- There are two side on the engine (right????), it's a Vietnamese law that copies CAN''T have two side with fake names on it. True, you can buy the cover but it's expensive because it's the gearbox inside (the cover is actually the gearbox). SO CHECK BOTH SIDES and if a copy you will see a random name on one of them !!!!!!!!!

AAAArrrrggggggggghhhh!!!!!!

#5 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 22:31

• johnysac

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2009

Hi there
    Gabriels right annd the bike most likely did come down from hanoi its easy just check the first 2 numbers on the plate and it will tell you where its from . Hoteliers buy these bikes off tourists for about a 100 usd because either the tourist has no time left or the saigon dealers are not interested in the bike at the price he wants . To a viet if its not Yamaha or honda on the blue card its chinese So yes they dont know what the ... they are talking about . But it can be from anywhere in asia , and most japan bikes now have chinese parts in them due to cost . Dont worry so much as where its from just on how the engine runs . The chinese ploy is used by the viets to get the bike cheap from the tourist
    most of the Moto pickups thet haul cargo around the city are xang yangs or lifans from china and i have seen them with over a ton on them going very well. On that jupiter a whole new engine over haul is only 50 usd and it only has to cover about 2000km so buy it and fix it if it needs any thing. Alternativly go to a western dealer for piece of mind

#6 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 14:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Gpad (chinese copy)are cheap in malaysia? ... By bobytwo on 9 Oct 2010 0 1443 9 Oct 2010