Motorbiking in Asia forum

Driving through SEA

• andrew25

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2011

Myself and a group of 4 other guys were hoping to do a 2 month trip across south east Asia next summer, potentially starting in Singapore and making our way all the way up to Hong Kong - though the idea is still in its infancy and more research needs to be done.

Ideally we would like to buy a couple of cheap cars (I know this is a motorbike thread but it seemed the most appropriate), take them the whole way and then flog them at the other end. Does anyone know if that is going to be at all feasible? The main problems I am foreseeing after a quick look around the net are that cars are not going to be as cheap as I had previously thought and vehicle paperwork/taxes getting across borders is going to be difficult.

Does anyone have any experience in cross-border road trips around SEA? Price of cars? Can it be done on motorbikes instead or is crossing borders still an issue?

#1 Posted: 31/10/2011 - 22:45

• Advertisement

• crazycableg-
    uy

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2011

I am also interested in the possibility of border crossing from Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Laos on a honda Win.

#2 Posted: 31/10/2011 - 23:49

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

It isn't just the paperwork for the cars you need to take care of. You have to check which countries will recognize either your drivers license or an international drivers license. Vietnam does not recognize either and you have to get a local license.

This is important because your travel insurance will be voided if you have a car accident while driving without a valid license.

Cars are not cheap in Singapore because of the way the government is trying to limit the number of cars on the road. 2nd hand cars can cost as much a new car in other countries. It makes sense to cross the border to Malaysia as car prices are lower there.

Car theft is a problem in Asia and that is why governments are stringent about the paperwork. Though criminals have their ways getting around that.

#3 Posted: 1/11/2011 - 10:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.